Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-22-2023, 04:52 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Wow that is a lot better position than I assumed it would pay. I thought it was closer to the going rate of a local reporter. It probably explains the low turnover rate at the network.
90 to 140k is a pretty wide range, and it is Los Angeles. 90k there is the equivalent of about 50k here in OKC, for example. I would hope those that have stuck around are making much more given how long they've been there.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2023, 06:33 PM   #17
horsefan2019

Seeing a lot of their on air talent has been with the network since when it first began there is probably a reason a lot of them never moved on to bigger networks. It sounds like a cushy low pressure job where you get to travel occasionally and talk ponies.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

How long until horse racing goes away on the network……I think they have bigger fish to fry….
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #19
ScottJ

If you are wondering just how thin the horse racing knowledgeable talent is at TVG, you should have seen the prerace discussion during the post parade of Race 7 at Churchill Downs.

One of the newer commentators talked about Dr. Perry and the training job of Joseph Saffie while complaining that her M&M snack was not available.

(Scott Hazelton and Caton Bredar, also on the set, seemed to go silent although to his credit, Scott did ask for some M&Ms for tomorrow.)
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2023, 09:14 PM   #20
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
How long until horse racing goes away on the network……I think they have bigger fish to fry….
agree, to a certain extent. There are a lot of hours to fill and seems like sports betting only needs so much, so its good filler. I can see a time where its only a small portion of the channel versus the majority.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2023, 09:20 PM   #21
lefty359

Hey, I would apply for that job myself, if I were younger.
lefty359 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM   #22
BarchCapper

I'd just like FanDuelTV to take some of Britney's salary and hire a couple of entry-level live human body in-studio engineers for the early morning shifts of European racing to KEEP THEM FROM BREAKING TO COMMERCIAL MID-RACE!!!

BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2023, 05:09 PM   #23
horsefan2019

Yeah I remember watching a race late at night and that scenario happened. Who knows what is happening at the station when few people are watching.

Last edited by horsefan2019; 11-23-2023 at 05:11 PM.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2023, 07:25 PM   #24
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Wow that is a lot better position than I assumed it would pay. I thought it was closer to the going rate of a local reporter. It probably explains the low turnover rate at the network.

I think it would depend on how many hours you have to put in, there are areas in Los Angeles where a decent 1 BDR apartment is $2500+.
Traffic is a nightmare.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2023, 08:01 PM   #25
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I think it would depend on how many hours you have to put in, there are areas in Los Angeles where a decent 1 BDR apartment is $2500+.
Traffic is a nightmare.
for 2500 you aint getting near arcadia/pasadena, unless its a dump.

Its like 3500-4000
Old 11-23-2023, 08:10 PM   #26
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
for 2500 you aint getting near arcadia/pasadena, unless its a dump.

Its like 3500-4000

Note I said $2500+, I thought TVG Network Studios were around LAX, 10-15 miles Southeast of there is not as pricey as the area around Santa Anita.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2023, 11:26 PM   #27
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Note I said $2500+, I thought TVG Network Studios were around LAX, 10-15 miles Southeast of there is not as pricey as the area around Santa Anita.
The old Fox studio they used was near Brentwood I think. 5 minutes from where OJ sliced his wife. They moved out towards the airport and closer to Hollywood park when I was living out there. The old studio was just borrowed or leased if I remember right…..I got a tour of it and was shocked how small it was. It might have actually been in Santa Monica.

I’m not exactly sure where the move went, but I know Greg and most of their crew seemed happy about it
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 10:18 AM   #28
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
The old Fox studio they used was near Brentwood I think. 5 minutes from where OJ sliced his wife. They moved out towards the airport and closer to Hollywood park when I was living out there. The old studio was just borrowed or leased if I remember right…..I got a tour of it and was shocked how small it was. It might have actually been in Santa Monica.

I’m not exactly sure where the move went, but I know Greg and most of their crew seemed happy about it
For a long while their broadcasting home was a modest studio at the corner of Olympic and Bundy in west LA, almost in Santa Monica. I think right up until about 2006 or 2007?

Last edited by elhelmete; 11-24-2023 at 10:27 AM.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2023, 10:26 AM   #29
GMB@BP

Quote:
yea, though I am assuming if this is a add for a replacement you will be onsite mostly, which means SA about 8 months a year, rent for Del Mar about 3 months and then in studio for about a month.

Its gonna be steep living accommodations unless your into long commutes.

Heck in california now its gonna be $15 for a big mac.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:28 AM   #30
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
yea, though I am assuming if this is a add for a replacement you will be onsite mostly, which means SA about 8 months a year, rent for Del Mar about 3 months and then in studio for about a month.

Its gonna be steep living accommodations unless your into long commutes.

Heck in california now its gonna be $15 for a big mac.
I would be pretty confident they get a stipend for housing at Del Mar.

I'm working on my list of replacements from PA for Britney. Other than Dialesp and Sheffwed, I'm kind of stumped, for the moment at least.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply