Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-14-2023, 01:14 AM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

One of the rarest plays in football

A one point safety
Old 09-14-2023, 05:22 AM   #2
Half Smoke

great post, thanks
Old 09-14-2023, 07:05 AM   #3
Bustin Stones

It appeared to me to be an illegal forward lateral. If it was, I don't think that changes the ruling.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2023, 09:12 AM   #4
woodbinepmi

Was at this game. HOOK'EM!
Old 09-14-2023, 10:47 AM   #5
Half Smoke

another very odd one
blocked extra point returned by the opposing team into the end zone

2 points

Old 09-14-2023, 11:26 AM   #6
Inner Dirt

I never knew that rule, interesting find. I would have figured two points.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2023, 11:33 AM   #7
Bustin Stones

I think it's a bad rule. You wouldn't want a national championship decided because someone jumped on an extra point attempt in the end zone. I think they should change it to dead ball.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
I think it's a bad rule. You wouldn't want a national championship decided because someone jumped on an extra point attempt in the end zone. I think they should change it to dead ball.

Is that rule the same as it is in High School? I honestly never heard of it.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:32 PM   #9
Bustin Stones

I imagine at the high school level, rules can vary by state.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:53 PM   #10
Half Smoke

if a player blocks the extra point and runs all the way down the field and into the end zone for 2 points -

and his team was down by 3 with one minute left -

assuming the ball is then kicked off to the other team which I believe it is

the player that scored the 2 points made a terrible play

but how many players would think of that in that situation

prolly zero

Old 09-14-2023, 03:20 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
I imagine at the high school level, rules can vary by state.

Never thought of that. Where and when I was playing in HS, if I remember correctly failed extra point attempts were dead balls no matter what whether going for one or two.

Once again same time and place relying on memory we seemed in HS to follow a lot of what the NFL was doing with a lot of the rules, I can remember the head slap and clothes lining becoming illegal at the same time the NFL banned them.
Old 09-14-2023, 03:23 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

if a player blocks the extra point and runs all the way down the field and into the end zone for 2 points -

and his team was down by 3 with one minute left -

assuming the ball is then kicked off to the other team which I believe it is

the player that scored the 2 points made a terrible play

but how many players would think of that in that situation

prolly zero

Maybe I am confused, I would think the team scoring the two points on the run back also gets the ball on kick off, just like if they scored a safety.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:48 PM   #13
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Maybe I am confused, I would think the team scoring the two points on the run back also gets the ball on kick off, just like if they scored a safety.
I saw an unnoficial answer on "Quora" saying that the team that scored the 2 points will kickoff - so they should have just batted the ball down

again, how many players would be aware enough to do that______?

and then there's this from the link - the NFL does not allow it - this is pretty wild

"One of the most confusing things about blocking field goals is how differently the NFL and NCAA approach this regulation. In college football, players can officially return a blocked extra point, which would score the defense two points.

Whereas in the NFL, a blocked extra point cannot be returned. The NFL’s rules on this matter have led to a lot of mistakes being made by college players and it can also leave a lot of college football fans feeling lost."

https://gamedayculture.com/can-you-r...eing%20awarded.
Old 09-14-2023, 05:08 PM   #14
Half Smoke

wait - this rule was changed - 2015

from Wiki:

"The NFL originally had no provision for defensive two-point conversions, and its rules used to state that a conversion was automatically blown dead and ruled as "no good" as soon as the defense gained possession of the ball. On May 19, 2015, the NFL owners adopted a proposal to permit a defensive two-point conversion for the 2015 season. On May 20, 2016, the owners adopted a further proposal called the two-point fair-play rule: this prevents the defense from getting a turnover during a 2-point conversion and then intentionally committing a foul to increase their chance at a 2-point return. If the defense gains a turnover and then commits a foul, the offense coach will have the option to accept the penalty and skip the kickoff. It has not yet been enforced in the NFL, but a similar rule has been enforced on two occasions in the CFL.[12][13]

Stephone Anthony of the New Orleans Saints became the first NFL player to score a defensive two-point conversion, returning a blocked extra-point kick from Graham Gano of the Carolina Panthers on December 6, 2015.[14] On December 4, 2016, Eric Berry of the Kansas City Chiefs became the first NFL player to return an interception for a defensive two-point conversion, which was thrown by quarterback Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-po...20the%20merger.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:20 PM   #15
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

wait - this rule was changed - 2015

from Wiki:

"The NFL originally had no provision for defensive two-point conversions, and its rules used to state that a conversion was automatically blown dead and ruled as "no good" as soon as the defense gained possession of the ball. On May 19, 2015, the NFL owners adopted a proposal to permit a defensive two-point conversion for the 2015 season. On May 20, 2016, the owners adopted a further proposal called the two-point fair-play rule: this prevents the defense from getting a turnover during a 2-point conversion and then intentionally committing a foul to increase their chance at a 2-point return. If the defense gains a turnover and then commits a foul, the offense coach will have the option to accept the penalty and skip the kickoff. It has not yet been enforced in the NFL, but a similar rule has been enforced on two occasions in the CFL.[12][13]

Stephone Anthony of the New Orleans Saints became the first NFL player to score a defensive two-point conversion, returning a blocked extra-point kick from Graham Gano of the Carolina Panthers on December 6, 2015.[14] On December 4, 2016, Eric Berry of the Kansas City Chiefs became the first NFL player to return an interception for a defensive two-point conversion, which was thrown by quarterback Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-po...20the%20merger.

It makes no sense to me that a team that ran back a failed conversion attempt now scores a 1-2 point safety but forfeits the football in difference to if they scored a typical safety off an opponent trying to score a FG or TD. Reading the Wiki page damn near made my head explode.
Also WTF is 6 man football? back in the day, very small High Schools had 8 man, and there were 7 man passing league HS summer games. As Vince Lomabardi used to say "What the hell is going on here?" If a coach knew that rule, that makes no sense, he could easily bait the other team into self destructing.