Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Someone in NoCal ran a horse wearing Confederate flag silks about 5-6 years ago. He also named the horse Mute Rudolph.
Owner was Bill Wilbur and he was suspended for it.
There’s a thread on this site about it...a search may locate it.
So good, action was taken. Not enough and I would imagine today that guy would also be ruled off the track.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #17
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If I had to guess I would say no, but I don't think there are a bunch of racist names floating around out there. I honestly would have never know Grape Juice was racist if Guillot had not opened his idiotic mouth about it, and I'm sure there are other veiled names out there most wouldn't get.

Surely you don't think the Jockey Club approves names they know are racist but that can probably slide by. That would be condoning racism. I think it is very difficult job that could probably be automated to a great extent to flag anything possibly racist or otherwise inappropriate, but even then some would slip by. Any believe it or not, many names submitted that could be problematic are probably not done with bad intentions. I could have easily submitted the name Grape Soda for a horse with no bad intentions whatsover.
The Jockey Club has historically been part of the problem- for instance, they vetoed "Sally Hemings" (by Colonial Affair), an ANTI-racist name, because they hated the suggestion that their white southern slaveholding hero, Thomas Jefferson, repeatedly raped his slave.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #18
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I would say by definition a racist action is crossing the line. What can you do before someone crosses the line?

I don't know if he had done anything like this in the past. Somebody alluded to something from a decade ago which I don't remember or didn't know about. If true, yes, something should have been done. The good news is something was done now so at the very least we have progress.
There are plenty of people that make racist comments everyday around friends, family, coworkers etc. Some view it as a harmless joke even though they dont recognize the hurt and pain it may bring an individual. Best advice is to call them out on it. Out Loud ! Don’t wait until the person developes the racist reputation and all of a sudden people are shocked by it because they openly publisize their stupidity and ignorance. This trainer was/is this type of person. His racist comments were not just born yesterday !
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
There are plenty of people that make racist comments everyday around friends, family, coworkers etc. Some view it as a harmless joke even though they dont recognize the hurt and pain it may bring an individual. Best advice is to call them out on it. Out Loud ! Don’t wait until the person developes the racist reputation and all of a sudden people are shocked by it because they openly publisize their stupidity and ignorance. This trainer was/is this type of person. His racist comments were not just born yesterday !
95% of my 50 employees are black/Hispanic. I have overheard some whoppers. Then they laugh at each other.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:52 PM   #20
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The Jockey Club has historically been part of the problem- for instance, they vetoed "Sally Hemings" (by Colonial Affair), an ANTI-racist name, because they hated the suggestion that their white southern slaveholding hero, Thomas Jefferson, repeatedly raped his slave.

Sally Hemmings was actually out of a Colonial Affair mare who was named Jefferson's Secret, making this really a slam dunk naming choice & the worst jockey club decision since they insisted Mufakher be renamed.

As soon as I saw Grape Soda on the overnights I let out a moan, and when I glanced over to see the connections I assumed bigger problems were imminent. Some extra sensitivity this year as horses named Gray Lives Matter & Don't Tase Me Bro were also renamed after running for awhile.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #21
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
As soon as I saw Grape Soda on the overnights I let out a moan, and when I glanced over to see the connections I assumed bigger problems were imminent. Some extra sensitivity this year as horses named Gray Lives Matter & Don't Tase Me Bro were also renamed after running for awhile.
There have been times this year when I think a horse named Gray Matter Lives would be considered offensive since it often seems to be a component of the body in the tiniest of minorities.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: