Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
thaskalos

Shocking ride at Hoosier...

I haven't bet Hoosier Park for 2 years, because I consider it to be the worst track in the country...but I decided to go against my better judgement, and wagered on their late pick-3 yesterday...in races 8, 9 and 10.

I used three horses in the 8th, one horse in the 9th, and three horses in the 10th...investing $108 into what turned out to be a pick-3 wagering pool of $1,223.

When one of my horses won the 8th race and paid $16.80, I got excited...because in the next race, I had singled the 3-5 "sure thing" ridden by Leandro Goncalves...and also thought I had the last race "covered" by using the three best horses in a race where they faced no apparent competition.

My excitement was short-lived, however, because in the 9th race, I witnessed a ride unlike any that I have ever seen in my 30 years in this game.

Jockey Goncalves had the 3-5 choice Man Of Miracles in perfect position behind 2 battling front runners...but then, as the horses approached the far turn, and for no apparent reason, he checked the horse so hard that it came to almost a complete halt...causing me to think that the horse had broken its leg. The horse quickly retreated into the field...and my concern for my wager was quickly replaced by concern for the horse and jockey Goncalves.

Imagine my surprise when I soon found out that the horse had not gone lame at all...but was now under a heavy whip as the horses were turning for home...with jockey Goncalves now attempting a late run from last place in a field of 9.

He finished 6th...and, of course, one of my picks in the 10th race completed the pick-3 and paid $15.40 to win.

I paid $108 for a lesson that I had already learned...and now I want to pass it on to you.

Avoid Hoosier Park at all costs...if you value your money (and your sanity).

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-03-2012 at 07:44 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
sammy the sage

Wonder if you'll get the SAME response I got...in THIS thread...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=95078
Old 08-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
fiveouttasix

Wager Type Winning Numbers Payoff
$2 Pick 3 1-7-3 (3 correct) 10,024.00

This is how they listed the payout...looks like only 1 winning 50 cent wager.
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Maximillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I haven't bet Hoosier Park for 2 years, because I consider it to be the worst track in the country...but I decided to go against my better judgement, and wagered on their late pick-3 yesterday...in races 8, 9 and 10.

I used three horses in the 8th, one horse in the 9th, and three horses in the 10th...investing $108 into what turned out to be a pick-3 wagering pool of $1,223.

When one of my horses won the 8th race and paid $16.80, I got excited...because in the next race, I had singled the 3-5 "sure thing" ridden by Leandro Goncalves...and also thought I had the last race "covered" by using the three best horses in a race where they faced no apparent competition.

My excitement was short-lived, however, because in the 9th race, I witnessed a ride unlike any that I have ever seen in my 30 years in this game.

Jockey Goncalves had the 3-5 choice Man Of Miracles in perfect position behind 2 battling front runners...but then, as the horses approached the far turn, and for no apparent reason, he checked the horse so hard that it came to almost a complete halt...causing me to think that the horse had broken its leg. The horse quickly retreated into the field...and my concern for my wager was quickly replaced by concern for the horse and jockey Goncalves.

Imagine my surprise when I soon found out that the horse had not gone lame at all...but was now under a heavy whip as the horses were turning for home...with jockey Goncalves now attempting a late run from last place in a field of 9.

He finished 6th...and, of course, one of my picks in the 10th race completed the pick-3 and paid $15.40 to win.

I paid $108 for a lesson that I had already learned...and now I want to pass it on to you.

Avoid Hoosier Park at all costs...if you value your money (and your sanity).

I stopped playing the night tracks because it was simply too much action
for me,and because I also seen some things that,lets just say didnt jibe at a few of them.

Are all the night tracks like this?...of course not.....but since Im handicapping with the drf like you......im just not "buying" the pm edition any more.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
the little guy

I think the more incredible thing was making a $12 3x1x3 Pick-3 into a $1200 pool where there were results where the parlay was more than was in the wagering pool ( such as would have been the case had your single won ). How can this be anything other than a negative value play? Am I missing something?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
TexasDolly

More common then it should be.

I have seen it any number of times. More often on non favorites however. It ends up looking like a "Z" pattern in the running line up,back,up.
A more subtle way of "losing" a race recently has been a
no response or a hard check out of the gate and then when it
is clear the horse can't win ride it hard to the wire. The take up at the start on early speed horses is "tolerated"
far too often for my taste.
TD

Last edited by TexasDolly; 08-03-2012 at 08:54 AM.
TexasDolly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage
Wonder if you'll get the SAME response I got...in THIS thread...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=95078
You're bordering on spamming with this constant whining. The funny thing is, when one goes back and reads most of these threads where you claim to be "bashed," it doesn't read like that at all, unless of course the new definition of bashed = simply disagreeing with you...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

The horse Man of Miracles had a rough stride (IMO may have clipped heels) shortly before dropping back in the field. He then failed to make a significant run. He finished about a neck to a length in front of 3 hopeless 30-1 shots at the tail end of the field.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Valuist

I just watched the replay and something clearly went wrong. I was thinking its possible the rider was starting to come out of the irons. Its almost too blatant to be a stiff job.

Just went back and looked at the Equibase chart and they say the horse was getting out on the turn.

Last edited by Valuist; 08-03-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist

Just went back and looked at the Equibase chart and they say the horse was getting out on the turn.
I actually went back and watched the pan and head-on a handful of times and the rider sure acted like he thought the horse was going to get out and onto heels when he was in the turn.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Some_One

Horse blew the turn simple as that.

If you think things are fixed, why are you betting?
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Simple Syrup

I'm not going to defend the racing quality at Hoosier, but the fact it's less than ten minutes from where I grew up makes it hard for me to pass it up.
Simple Syrup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

when i watched the replay it didn't seem to be the turn so much (wasn't really that wide) as the chart describing it that way.

i thought he may have clipped heels , but also what Valuist said with the irons is possible. The horse itself was falling back in the field as well, may not have been solely the rider. (Thaskalos did mention he initially thought the horse may have gone wrong).

maybe it was a stiff job. It's hard to say 100% either way, but i would guess it was heels/irons/bad step type of issue.

It's easy to get frustrated in the heat of moment. I had one last week where i went from a big multi-x exacta to a much smaller exacta with a DQ. I still don't like the decision!, but in hindsight it is much more reasonable.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I think the more incredible thing was making a $12 3x1x3 Pick-3 into a $1200 pool where there were results where the parlay was more than was in the wagering pool ( such as would have been the case had your single won ). How can this be anything other than a negative value play? Am I missing something?
I found out the size of the wagering pool later that evening, when I looked up the chart online...and I was stunned.

Like I said, I don't play Hoosier...and I had no idea that the pools were so small.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_One
Horse blew the turn simple as that.

If you think things are fixed, why are you betting?
Thanks for the advice; I promise to keep it in mind...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: