Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #91
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Who do you think you are?

I'm looking for an apology.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #92
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

I'm looking for an apology.

Look under "A" in the dictionary, after you finish looking up "hegemony".
Old 11-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #93
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

That's close to an F

Congratulations.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #94
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The problem with Trump embracing nationalism, or Obama embracing globalism, is that true believers like these two tend to go to extremes, and to be driven by emotion rather than reason. Obama believed in globalism without evidence that it would help Americans, and Trump believes the same thing about nationalism. The more that we can do ourselves within our borders, the better.

Let's just start with trade. Trump's reaction to a trade deficit is highly emotional: it's bad and we need to Make America Great Again. As with anything else, there are liberal and conservative economists. And the majority of them on both sides will say that a trade deficit is not a problem for an advanced economy like that of the United States. But Trump thinks it is killing us.

Trump's focus has been on manufacturing, also based more on emotion than facts. He apparently thinks that declines in American manufacturing play a big role in the trade deficit, which is not true. American manufacturing output has been growing steadily for decades, and is now at a historic high in real terms. American manufacturing jobs have been declining steadily over time. Trump believes that those jobs are going overseas. In fact some 85-90% of the decline in manufacturing jobs in this country are due to automation and other increases in efficiency. He thinks he can bring those jobs back with tariffs. But tariffs hurt American companies and consumers. Trump's own campaign people in 2016 said that Trump's tariffs would increase the cost of living by up to 15% for the average American.
Let me explain my point of view this way: I see Nationalism and Globalism as two competing philosophical mindsets...not unlike conservatism and liberalism. I, as more of a conservative, prefer a nationalistic mindset over the more liberal globalist mindset.

One must understand that Nationalism is an ideology within the country; it is not a policy. "It is a pro-national thinking for development and upliftment of one's country."

Globalism is an economic policy.

I defer to Merriam Webster:
Globalism is a national policy of treating the whole world as a proper sphere for political influence — compare imperialism, internationalism

It is my opinion that Obama relished Globalism, with the influence of others, for other than altruistic reasons.

It is my opinion that Trump relishes Nationalism FOR altruistic reasons.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #95
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Globalism is an economic policy.

I defer to Merriam Webster:
Globalism is a national policy of treating the whole world as a proper sphere for political influence — compare imperialism, internationalism
For starters, your response is internally inconsistent. You say that globalism is an economic policy, then you agree with the dictionary definition that globalism is a political policy. They are two different things.

Globalism is not an economic policy, it is an economic reality, regardless of what any politician or government would prefer. It can also be a political policy, which is an entirely different thing. Private companies make that decision about economics in their own self-interest. Governments can oppose that via political nationalism only at the cost of higher prices for their own citizens.

Economic globalism does not mandate political globalism. Alcoa processes its ore in Canada and then ships that processed ore to the US for final production. That is economic globalism. When the US imposes tariffs on the incoming material, that is political nationalism, to the detriment of Alcoa and of American consumers.

Last edited by Clocker; 11-11-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Clocker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2018, 05:12 AM   #96
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Levin is a grumpy old man who thinks a rant is an intellectual analysis.
That's what you get out of those? No wonder we seldom agree on anything.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:13 AM   #97
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I assume this refers to Levin. Have you ever read any of his books? I've tried to read a couple, but gave up because they don't have any substance. They are political dogma, based on faith, not facts. Preaching is not analysis, and Levin is a preacher of his true faith.
I read one of his books...didn't come away thinking like you...maybe I don't think?
Old 11-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #98
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
That's close to an F

Congratulations.
You just come around every so often to try and mess up the board, right?

You'd figure after 19+ years, there's no messing this place up...it's permanently and joyously messed...leave it be...go now...
Old 11-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #99
MargieRose

Quote:
For starters, your response is internally inconsistent. You say that globalism is an economic policy, then you agree with the dictionary definition that globalism is a political policy. They are two different things.

Globalism is not an economic policy, it is an economic reality, regardless of what any politician or government would prefer. It can also be a political policy, which is an entirely different thing. Private companies make that decision about economics in their own self-interest. Governments can oppose that via political nationalism only at the cost of higher prices for their own citizens.

Economic globalism does not mandate political globalism. Alcoa processes its ore in Canada and then ships that processed ore to the US for final production. That is economic globalism. When the US imposes tariffs on the incoming material, that is political nationalism, to the detriment of Alcoa and of American consumers.
As you are well aware, globalism encompasses numerous concepts: economics, political, cultural, movement of people, movement of information. There is no one simple definition of globalism. Pros and cons can be applied to all concepts; too numerous to get into here.

My point was more about Trump embracing the ideology of nationalism...a great concept for us after years of a president trying to level us DOWN to worldwide equality...with suspicious intentions, IMO. Trump was never implying that America would embrace nationalism at the expense of all other countries of the world...that is not who we are and never will be, luckily for all those other countries, including disrespectful and UNGRATEFUL France!

In spite of what liberal, of course, French President Emmanuel Macron had to say this morning in Paris, nationalism is not a betrayal of patriotism...the guy is toast, apparently within his own country, as well.

I can not understand why any true American patriot would not embrace nationalism in the purest sense of the word...not the twisted sense, like the liberals are espousing. Give me a break!!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #100
davew

I must have it wrong, because I consider globalism as 'utilizing anything, anywhere in the world to maximize my earnings'

I do not understand why dimwits want globalism, except for the dimwit cult leaders to enrich themselves.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #101
elysiantraveller

Quote:
As you are well aware, globalism encompasses numerous concepts: economics, political, cultural, movement of people, movement of information. There is no one simple definition of globalism. Pros and cons can be applied to all concepts; too numerous to get into here.

My point was more about Trump embracing the ideology of nationalism...a great concept for us after years of a president trying to level us DOWN to worldwide equality...with suspicious intentions, IMO. Trump was never implying that America would embrace nationalism at the expense of all other countries of the world...that is not who we are and never will be, luckily for all those other countries, including disrespectful and UNGRATEFUL France!

In spite of what liberal, of course, French President Emmanuel Macron had to say this morning in Paris, nationalism is not a betrayal of patriotism...the guy is toast, apparently within his own country, as well.

I can not understand why any true American patriot would not embrace nationalism in the purest sense of the word...not the twisted sense, like the liberals are espousing. Give me a break!!
Macron is not a liberal... at least not in the French spectrum. There is a reason he and Trump started off with a Bromance.

This gets to international security issues and despite what you or anyone says Trump's actions have legitimately weakened the United States positions and harmed our Hegemony.

A simple example is withdrawing from the INF Treaty while hammering on our NATO allies. Medium range forces pose basically no risk to the United States but significant risk to Europe that now needs to be countered.

Trump is actively taking out the geopolitical arrangements we've had for the past 70 years to ensure our supremacy. Macron's comment should serve as a warning to just how bad our relationships are internationally with this Administration.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #102
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Macron is not a liberal... at least not in the French spectrum. There is a reason he and Trump started off with a Bromance.

This gets to international security issues and despite what you or anyone says Trump's actions have legitimately weakened the United States positions and harmed our Hegemony.

A simple example is withdrawing from the INF Treaty while hammering on our NATO allies. Medium range forces pose basically no risk to the United States but significant risk to Europe that now needs to be countered.

Trump is actively taking out the geopolitical arrangements we've had for the past 70 years to ensure our supremacy. Macron's comment should serve as a warning to just how bad our relationships are internationally with this Administration.
Macron has claimed liberalism (several forms of it), look it up.

His so-called "bromance" with Trump was contrived, political kiss-ass; have always been skeptical of he being sincere in wanting a true friendship with Trump.

Regardless of what you think or profess to understand, hegemony is not something that this country ever engaged in, nor should we ever.

Maybe you should consider moving to France. Sounds like you'd be much happier and feel safer there...or anywhere but here!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #103
Clocker

Quote:

But Trump is focusing on the economic aspect. We live and function in a globalist economy. That is a fact determined by the free market. Trump doesn't like that fact, and is trying to impose nationalism on a globalist free market. That involves the government strongly influencing our economic choices and the government picking winners and losers. Round one: steel makers are the winners, steel consumers are the losers.

A free country needs borders and laws. It doesn't need the government imposing itself on, and distorting, the free market.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #104
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I read one of his books...didn't come away thinking like you...maybe I don't think?
Maybe you think like he does. That's fine, and that's why there are different flavors of ice cream. I don't think like he does, and I didn't learn anything new from his books. I had heard it all before.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #105
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Macron has claimed liberalism (several forms of it), look it up.

His so-called "bromance" with Trump was contrived, political kiss-ass; have always been skeptical of he being sincere in wanting a true friendship with Trump.

Regardless of what you think or profess to understand, hegemony is not something that this country ever engaged in, nor should we ever.

Maybe you should consider moving to France. Sounds like you'd be much happier and feel safer there...or anywhere but here!
Ummm what?!?!

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 11-11-2018 at 03:27 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply