Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #76
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
You may not like his style, but the substance of his analyses are most often undeniably intellectually acute.

I assume this refers to Levin. Have you ever read any of his books? I've tried to read a couple, but gave up because they don't have any substance. They are political dogma, based on faith, not facts. Preaching is not analysis, and Levin is a preacher of his true faith.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:13 AM   #77
fast4522

Quote:
You may not like his style, but the substance of his analyses are most often undeniably intellectually acute. I, too, agree with just about everything that he says. Obviously, Hannity does, too...not idol worship; intellectual admiration and like-minded thinking is more like it!

As to Acosta, he is the polar opposite of a Lavin or a Hannity...or a Trump intellectually. There was only one brat in that playground, and Trump handled him just fine. And, if I were that young Intern, my first impulse, after Acosta knocked down my arm, would have been to give him a swift kick in the groin; although, I probably wouldn't have acted on it.
MargieRose, pay little attention to the globalist because what you have been posting is spot on and is like sunlight to a vampire they can't handle it. Just consider its 40 years of bullshit that will not heal in just a few years. Even if it is better for our country it might not be better for the globalist or ever good for them. But keep on posting it, I look forward to more.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #78
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
globalist

You shouldn't be using words that you clearly don't understand.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #79
fast4522

I understand the word just fine, half the country is not in alignment with you. Many think this and that, but be sure this is all about globalist vs nationalist agenda. This was the case prior to the President getting elected, just as it is now.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #80
Clocker

Quote:
this is all about globalist vs nationalist agenda.

Wrong. I don't have a globalist or nationalist agenda, and I believe that either extreme, whether Trump's nationalism or the globalism of many Democrats, is damaging to the country. People who strongly espouse either philosophy are true believers with a poor grasp of reality.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #81
fast4522

True believers of the middle ground have the poorest grasp of reality, thats is what got us here sucking hind tit to China. While globalist policy has lifted more people out of poverty than any other factor it has done so at the expence of America's middle class. Your unwavering trust of the middle ground is just a fallacy for the stupid. Good luck with those solar products imported from commie countrys.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #82
Clocker

Quote:
True believers of the middle ground have the poorest grasp of reality, thats is what got us here sucking hind tit to China.
What in the hail is a true believer of the middle ground?

You mean people who judge each situation and decision on its merits, rather than on whether or not it is politically correct according to globalist or nationalist dogma? People who make decisions based on their own self-interest rather than based on what political leaders tell them to do? How in the hail can someone that might have a more globalist opinion on some issues and more nationalist on others be a true believer?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #83
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Too "mushy" for me.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #84
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Wrong. I don't have a globalist or nationalist agenda, and I believe that either extreme, whether Trump's nationalism or the globalism of many Democrats, is damaging to the country. People who strongly espouse either philosophy are true believers with a poor grasp of reality.
What is wrong with embracing nationalism? Why do you find Trump's nationalism to be extreme? What is the "reality" that you think he has a poor grasp of?

IMO, it was Obama who was trying to steer this country towards globalism and very much to the extreme; he's still at it, for heaven's sake. I see Trump as just trying to right a listing ship...not tip it to the other side.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #85
fast4522

First off let me commend you on your use of words. By any measure at all todays envorment of America first is not that nationalist compared to when JFK was President. Similarly todays republican party is closer is closer to what JFK's party once was. So when you post your perspective we all know how you fit inside the spectrum and where we are in that same spectrum. This you will not be able to escape in your posts. Take that to the bank and count on it as you shovel against the tide.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #86
elysiantraveller

Quote:
What is wrong with embracing nationalism? Why do you find Trump's nationalism to be extreme? What is the "reality" that you think he has a poor grasp of?
For starters it weakens United States hegemony.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #87
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Wait a minute, I'm looking that word up.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #88
Clocker

Quote:

IMO, it was Obama who was trying to steer this country towards globalism and very much to the extreme; he's still at it, for heaven's sake. I see Trump as just trying to right a listing ship...not tip it to the other side.
The problem with Trump embracing nationalism, or Obama embracing globalism, is that true believers like these two tend to go to extremes, and to be driven by emotion rather than reason. Obama believed in globalism without evidence that it would help Americans, and Trump believes the same thing about nationalism. The more that we can do ourselves within our borders, the better.

Let's just start with trade. Trump's reaction to a trade deficit is highly emotional: it's bad and we need to Make America Great Again. As with anything else, there are liberal and conservative economists. And the majority of them on both sides will say that a trade deficit is not a problem for an advanced economy like that of the United States. But Trump thinks it is killing us.

Trump's focus has been on manufacturing, also based more on emotion than facts. He apparently thinks that declines in American manufacturing play a big role in the trade deficit, which is not true. American manufacturing output has been growing steadily for decades, and is now at a historic high in real terms. American manufacturing jobs have been declining steadily over time. Trump believes that those jobs are going overseas. In fact some 85-90% of the decline in manufacturing jobs in this country are due to automation and other increases in efficiency. He thinks he can bring those jobs back with tariffs. But tariffs hurt American companies and consumers. Trump's own campaign people in 2016 said that Trump's tariffs would increase the cost of living by up to 15% for the average American.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #89
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Even if you're right about the 15% the average American said yes we are being killed.

I think you're wrong by the way and have a degree in Economics from somewhere in my back pocket.

Last edited by Buckeye; 11-10-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #90
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Even if you're right about the 15% the average American said yes we are being killed.
The 15% came from Trump's campaign in 2016. And the average American knows about as much economics as Trump does, and thinks that Trump was a business genius for being able to read "You're fired!" off of a teleprompter.

Quote:
I think you're wrong by the way and have a degree in Economics from somewhere in my back pocket.
Hard to argue with that kind of detailed quantitative analysis. And the owner of that degree is probably looking for it.

Last edited by Clocker; 11-10-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Clocker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: