Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
LemonSoupKid

Who is this Demling guy and why do they lie so blatantly about him?

This post isn't to bash anyone, just to try to understand why CBS hosts a total tout (sportsline) service which claims that Jody Demling has "picked 9 straight Oaks-Derby doubles".

First of all, knowing how hard it is to even pick the Derby, which I've been pretty solid at, no way anyone has 9 in a row of just the Kentucky Derby. Let alone the Oaks and Derby Double. Does the guy bet 20 tickets a year?

For all I know, he might be a sound handicapper, but I can't believe anyone has the nerve to claim that, when everyone knows it can't possibly be true.

I originally saw those CBS pages last year when I was searching for "picks" to see if anyone had undercard selections on big race days.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Inner Dirt

Probably like I remember when I first went to the track in the 70's the tip sheet sellers would claim a win if any of their 3 selections a race won. "We had 5 winners yesterday", sounds a lot better than saying "18.5% of our picks won." I would be curious if the tip sheet barkers are still at the lower level tracks in an era where so much data is available for download.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
lamboguy

i don't know this Demling character, but Keving Duffy goes 7-0 every week in pro football and has never had a loser, and that was documented right in the New York Daily News.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i don't know this Demling character, but Keving Duffy goes 7-0 every week in pro football and has never had a loser, and that was documented right in the New York Daily News.
Documented by the old 50-50 trick for 7 weeks, in which after 1000 people call in, 7 have gone 7-0, lol

A mentalist in the UK did this for a horse racing special, I recall a woman of African descent was told the exact method it was to get her 5 in a row (or 7 like the above, whatever it was). She didn't believe that she was either that lucky to be selected, or that it could happen --- how ironic. She risked the next bet and lost, which was actually funny. She actually believed in some cosmic hot hand even after being told why it all happened.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
green80

These guys prey on the weak. They are no better than a one dollar tipsheet. If they are any good they would just bet their picks and not have to work at a tout service or handicapping show.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
These guys prey on the weak. They are no better than a one dollar tipsheet. If they are any good they would just bet their picks and not have to work at a tout service or handicapping show.
I actually do a one dollar tipsheet at Mahoning Valley Race Course. And i do bet my own picks considering I spend about 2 1/2 hours preparing it for each live race day. It's more of a service to the regulars there. Nothing nefarious or shady about my motives. I do get a kick out of one table of guys that buy 1 sheet and pass it around to a total of 10 guys. Today only 5 showed up so they had to pitch in an extra dime apiece! BTW, I only count my top 2 choices in my stats. Averaging 30% winner for top choice and 50% for top 2 in last 3 years there.

RR
Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
I actually do a one dollar tipsheet at Mahoning Valley Race Course. And i do bet my own picks considering I spend about 2 1/2 hours preparing it for each live race day. It's more of a service to the regulars there. Nothing nefarious or shady about my motives. I do get a kick out of one table of guys that buy 1 sheet and pass it around to a total of 10 guys. Today only 5 showed up so they had to pitch in an extra dime apiece! BTW, I only count my top 2 choices in my stats. Averaging 30% winner for top choice and 50% for top 2 in last 3 years there.

RR
Don't take me wrong, I'm not knocking the tipsheet writers, I used to publish one myself at La Downs. If you published your record I'm sure it would be accurate and absent of any ridiculous claims. It's these TV and internet touts that never lose that gets me, and they charge a lot more than a few dollars. BTW, 30% top winners and 50% top 2 betting every race is quite a feat in itself.

Last edited by green80; 11-08-2017 at 07:18 PM.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
Parson

Jody is a local radio host on a sport talk station. He has done very well but I think if I remember correctly, he is 2 deep in the oaks and is 5 to 8 deep in the derby. I generally do well myself with that bet not 9 years in a row though
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2017, 04:16 AM   #9
thaskalos

Why would anyone want to bet on someone else's losers...even if those picks are FREE?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Why would anyone want to bet on someone else's losers...even if those picks are FREE?
I know your question was rhetorical but...
  1. Most handicappers don't to want to put in the requisite amount of work needed to be some degree of successful.
  2. They want something (someone) to blame for their losses.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
  1. Most handicappers don't to want to put in the requisite amount of work needed to be some degree of successful.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
metro

Living in Louisville I hear Jody a lot on the radio and can honestly say I rarely hear him talk about horse racing, he mainly covers the local University of Louisville sports teams.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #13
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

I've never lost the Oaks/Derby double
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2017, 01:05 AM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
1) The player who refuses to put in the necessary work to improve his play does not deserve to be called a "handicapper". He is a SUCKER!

2) What good does it do if I have "someone to blame"...when I am the one who dishes out the cash?

Of course my question was rhetorical; I know full-well why players insist on betting their money on the picks of others. They aren't even smart enough to realize that they'd be much better off at the roulette wheel.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:30 AM   #15
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The price is right ... ?
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: