Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #31
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You have to put in the code, coupon code "Books". It works.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...43#post2467443
It does, just ordered the Trip DVD for $5 plus $7 for shipping
Old 05-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #32
Si2see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
I've received a SPAMSTORM of emails from DRF in the past week, in spite of unsubscribing from everything. Today's emailS included one for 75% off ALL books and DVDs through May 19th.

Smells like a business on the brink of going under....

I highly doubt it is a business on the brink of going under, but I wanted to thank you for posting about the 75% off. I didn't receive that email, and had to order the Mike Maloney book, really just curious at wagering and bankroll management strategies. I met him at Keeneland in line for a contest last year, had a nice 10 minute conversation with him and didn't even know who he was until we parted ways
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 03:17 AM   #33
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2see View Post
I highly doubt it is a business on the brink of going under, but I wanted to thank you for posting about the 75% off. I didn't receive that email, and had to order the Mike Maloney book, really just curious at wagering and bankroll management strategies. I met him at Keeneland in line for a contest last year, had a nice 10 minute conversation with him and didn't even know who he was until we parted ways
I have Mr. Maloney's book, and there's some interesting nuggets in there from what I've read so far. Having lived in Lexington a couple of years 25 years ago, I'm jealous of anyone having a lifestyle that includes a steady diet of Keeneland.

As for DRF going under, believe me when I say it's NOT something I'd like to see. But in today's world where many businesses are FIRMLY under control of the bean counters looking for short-term ROI, and with little to no investment in keeping customers happy, I'm of the opinion that some of the "tells" are there in how their business is going. And now let's add the "slow pay" to the customers trying to cash out of their online contests.

Change of course, is the one constant in the world, and racing and the DRF are not immune from that. Little did I know when I became a horseplayer in the mid 1980s that things would change so dramatically, and more change is in the air with a closer look a drugs, racing surfaces and the trajectory of the economy. It's difficult for me to keep the memories of those earlier days at bay, when Saturday was "race day", and Friday evenings were spent pouring over the Form trying to dig out a winner or two at Fairmount. That was a time when I loved reading every article, especially the ones by Hirsch and Beyer, and got a chuckle over the "other news" stories which were always short blurbs - like wheat production being down in Argentina or some scruff up in the Middle East.

Ah, pity.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 AM   #34
thaskalos

Quote:
I have Mr. Maloney's book, and there's some interesting nuggets in there from what I've read so far. Having lived in Lexington a couple of years 25 years ago, I'm jealous of anyone having a lifestyle that includes a steady diet of Keeneland.

As for DRF going under, believe me when I say it's NOT something I'd like to see. But in today's world where many businesses are FIRMLY under control of the bean counters looking for short-term ROI, and with little to no investment in keeping customers happy, I'm of the opinion that some of the "tells" are there in how their business is going. And now let's add the "slow pay" to the customers trying to cash out of their online contests.

Change of course, is the one constant in the world, and racing and the DRF are not immune from that. Little did I know when I became a horseplayer in the mid 1980s that things would change so dramatically, and more change is in the air with a closer look a drugs, racing surfaces and the trajectory of the economy. It's difficult for me to keep the memories of those earlier days at bay, when Saturday was "race day", and Friday evenings were spent pouring over the Form trying to dig out a winner or two at Fairmount. That was a time when I loved reading every article, especially the ones by Hirsch and Beyer, and got a chuckle over the "other news" stories which were always short blurbs - like wheat production being down in Argentina or some scruff up in the Middle East.

Ah, pity.
Slow-paying the customers is a very reliable sign indicating that a gambling establishment is in dire straits.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #35
AndyC

Quote:
.......As for DRF going under, believe me when I say it's NOT something I'd like to see. But in today's world where many businesses are FIRMLY under control of the bean counters looking for short-term ROI, and with little to no investment in keeping customers happy, I'm of the opinion that some of the "tells" are there in how their business is going. And now let's add the "slow pay" to the customers trying to cash out of their online contests..........
As a proud member of the bean-counting community I can see you clearly have no clue about what bean-counters do or don't do. Far more businesses fail because of financial ignorance and trying to spend their way to prosperity than from over managing expenses.

I don't see a proliferation of bean-counters seeking short-term ROI. Is doing a cost-benefit analysis of expenditures a bad thing?
Old 05-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #36
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
As a proud member of the bean-counting community I can see you clearly have no clue about what bean-counters do or don't do. Far more businesses fail because of financial ignorance and trying to spend their way to prosperity than from over managing expenses.

I don't see a proliferation of bean-counters seeking short-term ROI. Is doing a cost-benefit analysis of expenditures a bad thing?
Well, I wouldn't expect an accountant who's filled with pride to necessarily be be the most perceptive on identifying trends in his/her own sector.

I would disagree with your premise that "far more" businesses fail due to financial ignorance and overspending versus controlling costs. An exception to that would be some of the tech (ie, Tesla) or shale oil industries, who can bleed ignorant investors to maintain cash flow, but we're already seeing the scramble for capital and the phantom economy based on ever increasing debt has a shelf life.

But publishing (including DRF), manufacturing and my field (IT) have been contracting for many years and decades now, and some of them are being run simply on the numbers - which IMHO is a recipe for failure. There's a balance necessary between controlling costs and spending wisely and adjusting your business models - and if controlling costs has the upper hand, then you run the risk of driving away talent, customers and growth. And then you die, or are swallowed up.

So does DRF survive, get bought out, or go under? I'll take door # 3. And I still can't get unsubscribed from their pesky bulk emails.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #37
turfeyejoe

No refund yet

It's nearly a month since I filled out the online form for a refund from DRF tournaments and no check has showed up yet. Has anybody gotten their money?
turfeyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #38
AndyC

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't expect an accountant who's filled with pride to necessarily be be the most perceptive on identifying trends in his/her own sector.

I would disagree with your premise that "far more" businesses fail due to financial ignorance and overspending versus controlling costs. An exception to that would be some of the tech (ie, Tesla) or shale oil industries, who can bleed ignorant investors to maintain cash flow, but we're already seeing the scramble for capital and the phantom economy based on ever increasing debt has a shelf life.

But publishing (including DRF), manufacturing and my field (IT) have been contracting for many years and decades now, and some of them are being run simply on the numbers - which IMHO is a recipe for failure. There's a balance necessary between controlling costs and spending wisely and adjusting your business models - and if controlling costs has the upper hand, then you run the risk of driving away talent, customers and growth. And then you die, or are swallowed up.

So does DRF survive, get bought out, or go under? I'll take door # 3. And I still can't get unsubscribed from their pesky bulk emails.
You wouldn't expect an accountant to be perceptive on identifying trends because you really don't have much of a clue of what accountants do. I doubt that you have had the opportunity to test your financial beliefs by actually running a business and deciding on where to spend and where to acquire capital.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #39
bpiets
Veteran

I won a few contests and it always took at least six weeks to get ones winnings...and since D R F spent a lot of money redesigning thier site ( it is much better & useful in many free offerings etc ) they are now in the hole financially and are selling off books etc ...the d r f racing form is still the form that provides the best info in general...Equibase also has very good pointers to evaluate the horses as do some other sites...depends on what the handicapper finds as important in the facts and figures offered ...
bpiets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #40
bpiets
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2see View Post
Yup, a lot more sale pitchs from D R F in many areas...they should get some contests to enter to win seats at our year end national contest ...n t r a contests or set up a breeders cup ' win your in ' contest for all to enter...say ,for a $50.00 entry fee for all members...and I am sure many would pay and play...d r f must stimulate interest in the sport...not many new young persons are interested as there are so many other sports to bet on these days ....
bpiets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #41
Si2see

Quote:

Ah, pity.
Right, I have spent a weekend at keeneland every meet for the last 8 or 9 years, there is no place like it and not too bad of a drive from Richmond, Va every 6 months.

I am only interested in the book for the bankroll strategies and to see some real examples of what it takes to play for a living.

On a side note though I am beginning to think maybe I was one of the people who were dead wrong and maybe there is more to the drf “ restructuring “, as I ordered the book on May 18th, it hadn’t arrived as of May 31st so I emailed customer service for a tracking number and as of tonight still no book or email response. I hope it is just a mix up....
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #42
chuckster1968

ANYONE TELL ME

What promo code to use for this?
chuckster1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: