Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Anyone here use ShadowProtect?

http://www.storagecraft.com/shadow_protect_desktop.php

I'm looking for a new backup solution, and I am hearing so many bad things about Acronis 2012, which I was going to go with...

ShadowProtect, while pricier, doesn't seem to have any bad reviews...plus it doesn't seem bloated like Acronis...it seems nimble and focused on only one thing...creating image backups quickly and reliably...

Anyone have any advice on this one?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I guess the answer to my topic question is a resounding NO...
Old 02-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
dlgreg

PA Mike,
I don't use ShadowProtect.
I use Casper 7.0 which allows me to clone my C: drive to another hard drive in my system. The way I have it set-up I use 2 additional hard drives to copy my entire C: drive, alternating copies each day to the drives. In the event of a problem with my C: drive (which is several Intel SSD's in a raid array) I can just boot the computer with one of the hard drives with the Casper 7.0 copy by entering the system BIOS and changing the boot drive.
Casper has worked great; I have used it for several years going back to Casper 5.0 and upgraded the software as new versions were released.
Don't know if this is a solution you'd be looking for (adding a hard drive or 2), but thought I'd share my experience since no one responded to your query.
dlgreg
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I have used Casper in the past and found it to be a good product for what it does.

Looking more along the lines of drive imaging now.

I actually want to add a SSD to my system...trying to decide between three 256gb models...

Crucial M4
Corsair Performance Pro
Samsung 830

Was leaning towards the Samsung, but after doing more research, I'm thinking the Corsair might be the way to go...

Was going to go Intel for the reliability, but it seems the three I've listed are nearly as reliable as Intel and offer much better value...
Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I have used Casper in the past and found it to be a good product for what it does.

You can create a drive image with Casper even if the new drive is not the same size ... unless you meant something else.

Quote:
I actually want to add a SSD to my system...trying to decide between three 256gb models...

Crucial M4
Corsair Performance Pro
Samsung 830

Was leaning towards the Samsung, but after doing more research, I'm thinking the Corsair might be the way to go...
I just installed a 128 GB Samsung 830 in my aging notebook (using Casper ) and it rocks. I use HSH and some operations create some heavy disk I/O and the new drive sped them up by a factor of 5. I've been using it for 2 months with no issues.
It may be that the Corsair is a bit quicker.
Today, cheap bugger that I am, I would just go for the best deal.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

On NewEgg, the Corsair and Samsung are the same exact price, $399.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Rwahi1

ShadowProtect

PA Mike

I am a member at Wilderssecurity forum and they speck very highly of 'ShadowProtect' backup program. You can read all about at;
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showt...=ShadowProtect

Raman
Rwahi1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
dlgreg

Quote:

Crucial M4
Corsair Performance Pro
Samsung 830

Was going to go Intel for the reliability, but it seems the three I've listed are nearly as reliable as Intel and offer much better value...
I've only had experience with Intel and OCZ (and most recently a Samsung in their Series 7 Slate Tablet). Of those 2 the Intel has been far more reliable. One of the OCZ's was one of their "Revo" drives which connected via the PCIe interface. That was a fiasco as it would not work with all motherboards and the return policy (where I bought it) would not allow for a refund.
I recently built a computer and used one of the Intel SSD's (256 GB;Sata 6.0) as the C: drive. It is actually faster than the machine that has 2 older Intel SSD's setup in a raid 0 array.
Of the 3 you list I would go for the most reliable one (probably the Samsung).
There have been some recent reviews on SSD's on TomsHardware and AnadTech.
dlgreg
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Jackal

I don't try to clone my HD. I just back up folders where I have valuable date stored. I use the acer backup manager that came with my laptop. It will back up other computers in my home network. It's free and simple to use. (it has to be simple if I can use it) Most newer computers have a back up system installed from the factory. Now I need to find a reliable external HD.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
hcap

Quote:

Crucial M4
Corsair Performance Pro
Samsung 830

Found Casper 8 the newest version---now only $50.

Do you still recommend it or have you found something better? I am going to be backing up to an external USB 3 drive.
Sounds pretty good.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
http://www.storagecraft.com/shadow_protect_desktop.php

I'm looking for a new backup solution, and I am hearing so many bad things about Acronis 2012, which I was going to go with...

ShadowProtect, while pricier, doesn't seem to have any bad reviews...plus it doesn't seem bloated like Acronis...it seems nimble and focused on only one thing...creating image backups quickly and reliably...

Anyone have any advice on this one?
Mike,

Is there a particular reason why you are looking for a new solution? Is there a specific problem you are attempting to solve?
Old 06-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
OverlayHunter

hcap,

I'm not very tech savvy but I've used Casper for years and it's worked well. Also, tech support has been super, I've even gotten responses on weekends which I wouldn't expect from a small company. I have nothing but good things to say.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter
hcap,

I'm not very tech savvy but I've used Casper for years and it's worked well. Also, tech support has been super, I've even gotten responses on weekends which I wouldn't expect from a small company. I have nothing but good things to say.
OH, not to single you out, however, I need to ask: when you say it's worked well, what exactly do you mean?

Have you ever had to recover a PC/server/IT center starting with bare metal using their services?
Old 06-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter
hcap,

I have had one computer crash where the operating system (win 7) got corrupted. Re-installed everything. Still on warranty with Dell. Luckily I had most of my data on my older computer. Do not want to go tru' that again.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Hey, cool, old thread revival...I never followed up here...

Went with an OCZ 512gb drive that died on me this past winter. Lesson learned. Bought a Samsung replacement.

I also went with Shadowprotect - it's been a life saver...