Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 06-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #106
dlgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
When a forced upgrade messed up my hard drive on an otherwise nice older computer, I blew a gasket. Then I dropped another hard drive into my computer, and installed Linux. I love it. Have most windows software I used working under wine, and do not ever plan to return to Windows. Screw them.

Jim
Jim
Which version of Linux did you install?
Did you have to install Wine on your Linux version?
dlgreg
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #107
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgreg
Jim
Which version of Linux did you install?
Did you have to install Wine on your Linux version?
dlgreg
Ubuntu and I did install Wine to run within Ubuntu to run my windows programs.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 06-29-2016 at 03:18 PM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #108
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

I am going to download Mint and try it from a thumb drive boot.
Jim, can you run Open Office? All really need to be sure is I can have a database and spreadsheet program that works.
I have heard that it does but do not know that for a fact. Ubuntu actually came with a spreadsheet and word program installed. Have not used it yet though.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #109
tupper

There are various versions of Mint and Ubuntu that differ primarily depending on the default desktop. I would guess that the stock versions of both distros come with Libre Office installed, but if they don't, it is a simple matter of going into the package manager and checking the box in front of the Libre Office package and clicking "Apply," and Libre Office will install over your Internet connection. You might have to click "Update" first to refresh your packages list.

By the way, Mint is forked from Ubuntu (which is forked from Debian).
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #110
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Microsoft backs off click-the-X trick in Windows 10 upgrade pitch:
http://www.computerworld.com/article...ade-pitch.html

Quote:
Microsoft today said it will revamp the notification of a pending Windows 10 upgrade so that clicking the red "X" -- an action that for decades has been used to dismiss or ignore a dialog box -- will no longer be interpreted as authorizing the process.
They must have taken some heat before deciding to reverse course. I'm really glad that they caved because doing that with the red 'x' sets a really bad precedent.

-jp

Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #111
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
Microsoft backs off click-the-X trick in Windows 10 upgrade pitch:
http://www.computerworld.com/article...ade-pitch.html

They must have taken some heat before deciding to reverse course. I'm really glad that they caved because doing that with the red 'x' sets a really bad precedent.

-jp

I don't think it was just coincidence that ....

Quote:
... It was likely a coincidence that Myerson touted the change just a day after news broke that a California woman had won a $10,000 judgment in small claims court against Microsoft for upgrading her PC last year without her approval. That case was decided in March, and the company dropped its appeal and paid Teri Goldstein $10,000 more than a month ago. ...
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #112
whodoyoulike
Veteran

You can't really make this up!!

Quote:
... Last week, Forbes contributor Gordon Kelly published an article pointing out that a monthly subscription cost will be added for Windows 10 usage — which supports the notion that Windows is moving towards more of a subscription model. The cost of Windows 10 will be $7 per user per month ($84 per year) for enterprise versions. This pricing tier is known as “Windows 10 Enterprise E3,” meaning Windows has joined Office 365 and Azure as a subscription service. Windows 10 Enterprise E5 will be the version of Windows 10 Enterprise that includes Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection.

This new subscription model is not associated with our current upgrade offering or applicable to the Windows 10 consumer edition,” said Microsoft in a statement to PCWorld. This may be a big relief for consumers, but there is a possibility that Microsoft could charge for premium features in the future. ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchow.../#59cff5531bb5
Old 07-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #113
098poi

I'm thinking of doing it this weekend.

I have a second internal drive for storage, should I disconnect that before the upgrade?

I remember someone saying to do custom install, go through all the privacy things etc. and then disconnect my network cable. Once it downloads does it need to be connected to the web to install?

Thanks
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #114
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
Once it downloads does it need to be connected to the web to install?
I'm pretty sure it does but I have never upgraded an o/s without being online.
Typically there will be o/s updates, drivers, machine specific stuff and the like that need to be installed/updated/reinstalled.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #115
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
I'm pretty sure it does but I have never upgraded an o/s without being online.
Typically there will be o/s updates, drivers, machine specific stuff and the like that need to be installed/updated/reinstalled.
You're probably right. I think I will disconnect my second drive and when I do the install have it use a local account and not create a Microsoft one. I don't need to access my stuff from a Windows phone (which I don't have) or any other computer. Some sites on line said for a single home user this should be ok. I don't care about the Microsoft store. If I need in the future I can create an account.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #116
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenowsr
Win 10 automatically upgraded my machine this morning also. I just turned on machine and bang, it started installing.

I don't know if people realize that when you bought win XP or win 7 or win whatever, you didn't by the software- you only bought the right to use it.

No problems so far, fingers crossed.

Does that mean they will send you a refund since you no longer can use XP or win 7?

I am pretty sure I interrupted a unrequested upload of Win10, and now the laptop is unusable with no operating system.

I have heard this Win10 is going to become a subscription program like office 365, where you pay for a year useage....
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #117
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I got so pissed at this Windows 10 crap I hit the recovery on my Lenovo laptop this morning.

JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #118
ebcorde
Veteran

Windows 10 is unstable

I installed over Windows 7 on an old box, and I recently purchased a box with Windows 10.

My old box now runs Linux. I was too disgusted. It would create new profiles all the time.

My new box , the internet connection drops out on me a lot, I have to reconnect. Never had a box do this before. There are other anomalies.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #119
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
I'm thinking of doing it this weekend.

I have a second internal drive for storage, should I disconnect that before the upgrade?

I remember someone saying to do custom install, go through all the privacy things etc. and then disconnect my network cable. Once it downloads does it need to be connected to the web to install?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure you have to be connected. My upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10 took almost an hour. I think it checks what you have and carries it over to the new o/s and probably a bunch of other things for compatibility.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #120
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
... I have heard this Win10 is going to become a subscription program like office 365, where you pay for a year useage....
As of now, there won't be a subscription for home use but read the article link in post #112.

M$'s business practices needs to be reviewed internally by someone who can see the long term instead of short term impact. Unless they don't think they are going be around long term.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: