Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

iPad Air

My new IPad Air arrived today. After about 12 hours using it the reviews are in.

4.5 stars out of 5

This thing is fast as hell. I deducted a half point because I am not a fan of the girly cartoonish look of IOS 7

Otherwise the most startling difference is the weight. .4 pounds less than the last iPad. It's really feather light. Very easy to use. Much thinner too.

The speed of this new processor is amazing. An example is when using Google maps you can zoom in and out, all the way out and it does not repaint the screen. At least it is not perceptible

A few new things to the iPad world in the last few days are very interesting also.

1. You can now make phone calls via your iPad by using the Google hangouts app. You can do video calls (been able to do this for a while) but now you can call phone numbers just like a cell phone. Works great, provided you are connected to the internet. You have to install Google hangouts app. I am seriously considering buying a cell capable iPad mini next year and dumping my cell phone.

2. The new Google search app now uses the voice command "ok Google"
This is kind of like talking to the computer on Star Trek. Just say "ok google" and then make your request. It will often talk back to you, and when doesn't it displays search results in your browser

3. When you purchase a new iPad or any device running IOS 7 you now qualify to download all of the iLife software, the new Mavericks operating system , GarageBand etc for all of your apple computers for FREE.
Including all of the office comparable apps etc. this is a huge deal

This is a game changer when it comes to choosing an environment to live in.

The weird part is the best apps for IPad are made by Google.
I live in both worlds and enjoy both. If you have an iPad 3 or less as I did, the new one will blow you away.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Great review!

Can you give us your recommendation for memory, features etc.?

I rarely use "mine," but my wife uses it a lot. (Maybe that's why I don't use it. LOL) I was thinking of getting her one for Christmas.

How much should I expect to pay?

(Or maybe I will get it for HER for MY birthday in January.)
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
redshift1

Consumer Reports loves it.

Here they gush on about it:

"If you've been on the fence about buying your first iPad, the iPad Air brings just about everything you'd want to the table. It's the lightest 9.7-inch or larger tablet we've tested (though a few come close) and among the thinnest. It's one of very few with an excellent display. A quibble: There's still no built-in memory-card slot or USB port, although accessories are available if you want to add those externally"

redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Dave, my first iPad I bought I purchased the 32 gig model. Never came close to filling it up. Last two (including the new air) are 16gig models. I don't download movies etc for local storage. I don't run a ton of games either. Mine is a real internet browsing machine. I do keep some photos on board but with the new google "auto upload" feature in Google plus, they are automatically backed up for free. So they won't be staying around for long. They go straight from my iPad to the cloud. I get a report daily if something was backed up. Btw, if you have an android phone they get backed up automatically too. You can even edit them in Google plus.

I guess my real point on space/memory is if you aren't watching films etc from the iPad (many do this on planes etc) via ITunes or other more nefarious sources, ( you can download your purchases to watch later) I would save some money and get the 16 gig model

You can buy a lot of storage in the cloud for that hundred bucks you'll save. If you really need it.

As a side note. In a few weeks you will be able to get the iPad mini 7 inch with same exact specs as the new 9.7 inch Air. Exactly the same. Retina screen, processor et al. If you re so inclined.

The free software is a direct assault on Microsoft office and Google Docs.

The real advantage on the model is weight and incredible speed.

499.00 for 16gig model

Target is offering gift cards as of today, as a rebate. 40-50 bucks last I looked.

Last edited by JustRalph; 11-07-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/50...pad-air-review

Verge review
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
dlgreg

I just got the new iPad Air. Was using an original iPad (actually I bought for the wife to view her Korean videos on our overseas flights).
The difference is amazing; much faster, way lighter (especially with the heavy leather case on the original iPad) and the screen is way better than the original.
Got the basic 16k WiFi version @ Walmart for $479; was $20 off the list price.

Original iPad is 64k version, but was used to store numerous Korean DVD's ripped to an iPad compatible format.
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
DeltaLover

You guys seem to be real gadgets enthusiasts!

Personally, although I have spent close to $700 sometime last year buying a Sumsung Note 10.1 (or what ever is called) tablet, I admit I have not use it more than a few hours since then!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I hope everyone is aware that TARGET is offering $200 trade-in for ANY iPad, even 1st generation, a long it works..

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/05/t...r-1stgen-ipad/
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Dave Schwartz

Thank you!

Question...

Have you had any problem getting your pictures etc. off your old iPad and onto the new?

How do you do that?
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I hope everyone is aware that TARGET is offering $200 trade-in for ANY iPad, even 1st generation, a long it works..

depending on the model and configuration, you can get more through gazelle. even a wifi only 2nd generation with 32gb sells for more than $200.

craigslist is probably an even better option.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Thank you!

Question...

Have you had any problem getting your pictures etc. off your old iPad and onto the new?

How do you do that?
Dave, found this: http://www.imore.com/how-transfer-da...tina-ipad-mini

I don't have multiple iPads, so, I can't verify it. GL.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Thank you! Question... Have you had any problem getting your pictures etc. off your old iPad and onto the new? How do you do that?
I think you can just save them to the cloud, and then access them across your iOS devices. I've never done it, I haven't even used the cloud yet with my iPad2 and 3, but I think that's the point.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

I didn't mention that because many target stores aren't honoring it. The one near my house is only doing the gift card rebates. I was already to trade in an iPad 1 ........no sale
Old 11-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
I think you can just save them to the cloud, and then access them across your iOS devices. I've never done it, I haven't even used the cloud yet with my iPad2 and 3, but I think that's the point.
To the cloud Dave!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
dlgreg

Quote:

How do you do that?
You can save to the cloud (iCloud) or via iTunes.
I used iTunes as I had numerous apps installed and didn't want to re-install them to the iPad Air.
In iTunes I did a backup of the old iPad and saved it to my PC.
Then connected the iPad Air to my PC and iTunes and did a restore from the "old" backup I just made. This way I only had to install several apps that were present on the iPad Air out of the box that weren't on the old iPad.
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply