Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 06-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
facorsig

Windows 7/8 Tablet Supporting 3G

I am looking to purchase a tablet computer with Windows 7 or 8 installed and supporting 3G wireless connection. I'm not seeing many options. I would consider a 3G dongle or device like Airport Express to couple the tablet with 3G if I was confident of the connectivity. Android and Apple OS are not options for the tablet. Any suggestions on single devices or pairing or tablets to enable the connection?

This seems a strange forum to ask, but in the past I have received great advice in this forum (besides I come here a lot).

Fred
facorsig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
vegasone

All the tablets will support WiFi so if you buy a 3g/4g hotspot that would work. If you want the tablet itself to support 3g then you would have to check specs of each contender.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
HUSKER55

Hi Fred,

You should post some pictures of your new surroundings. I think it would be neat.

I have some thoughts,....not necessarily good ones as I am not a guru...or even a pimple on ones butt.

If you don't go high end, your tablet will get outdated sooner. Remember when the 64bit programs came in and everyone was left holding the bag with the 32 bit programs? Now the AGP chips are out and you hold your breath for what comes next.

The ads here in Milwaukee is 4g networks and I don't remember seeing anyone saying anything about 3g. All I hear is Android from the kids in the neighborhood and Mary's grandkid says that is what they use in school.

You would be correct. I have no idea what that means. Well, actually, the little beggar is one bright little bas...er boy. But I still don't know what that means.

Last thought, the guy who runs the repair shop I go to will custom build anything you want. Not the cheapest way but he gives free parts for one year and a 15% discount for everything else.

Is that an option for you?

Good to hear from you. stop by more often. BTW did you have Palace Malice?

me neither.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by facorsig
I am looking to purchase a tablet computer with Windows 7 or 8 installed and supporting 3G wireless connection. I'm not seeing many options. I would consider a 3G dongle or device like Airport Express to couple the tablet with 3G if I was confident of the connectivity. Android and Apple OS are not options for the tablet. Any suggestions on single devices or pairing or tablets to enable the connection?

This seems a strange forum to ask, but in the past I have received great advice in this forum (besides I come here a lot).

Fred
Maybe this will help

http://www.gadgetsdealer.com/product102031.html

Or

http://tablets.findthebest.com/d/t/Windows-7 (you can choosde the options on the left side)
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
dlgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by facorsig

Fred
Fred,
I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate. It's over 1 1/2 years old so at this point is older technology. Came with Win 7 Pro which I upgraded to Win 8 Pro. I've been very happy with it. PA Mike also has one.
Here'a a link to a forum that discusses the Samsung Tablets; there are newer models than the S7S that I have. You can find other tablet maker's forums from that forum link. You should be able to find the answers you are looking for perusing that site's forums.
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/
dlgreg
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I personally am running a Windows 8 tablet (Samsung Slate) using my iPhone as a 4G LTE hotspot. The speed on LTE far surpasses 3G and I could never imagine going back to 3G...so if you're in the market for something new, make sure it supports LTE or use your LTE phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot...so you'll save a little money in not having to have your tablet be 3G or 4G capable...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgreg
Fred,
I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate. It's over 1 1/2 years old so at this point is older technology. Came with Win 7 Pro which I upgraded to Win 8 Pro. I've been very happy with it. PA Mike also has one.
Here'a a link to a forum that discusses the Samsung Tablets; there are newer models than the S7S that I have. You can find other tablet maker's forums from that forum link. You should be able to find the answers you are looking for perusing that site's forums.
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/
dlgreg
ha...we posted at the same time...I really like the Slate, but it is bordering on too big/heavy, especially with a decent case + Bluetooth keyboard...they keep promising lighter, quicker, more battery friendly Windows tablets...not sure if the current offerings deliver, but the Microsoft Surface pro looks pretty intriguing albeit expensive...then again, I paid more for the Slate then what you can get a Surface Pro for today...
Old 06-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Wait! In a month the haswell chip from intel will be out. They claim double the battery life and faster. Hands on early models confirm this

Two reasons to wait.......lots of today's tablets will go on sale for a song when the new chip comes out.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Wait! In a month the haswell chip from intel will be out. They claim double the battery life and faster. Hands on early models confirm this

Two reasons to wait.......lots of today's tablets will go on sale for a song when the new chip comes out.
Yes, this is what I was thinking about...although a year ago, it was called something other than Haswell...lol

There's ALWAYS something better down the road...
Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
facorsig

Thanks for the many replies..such a responsive forum.

I think I will look harder into the option to set up hot spot. We have an embarrassing number of devices in the house and I probably need a very small investment to solve the current issue. The 3G limitation is associated with living in a remote area. If 4G or faster networks were available, those would be under consideration.

I do like the advice to wait for the new line of chips.

Husker55: I've been in Russia almost exactly 3 years now! Not sure how much longer I will be here. PM me and I will send you a link to my Facebook. I did have Palace Malice in my 8-horse exacta box and did cash the race.

Fred
facorsig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply