Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #211
azeri98

Why because you can't refute the facts?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #212
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
I can. You need to propose something first. I'm more likely to be stabbed to death than shot with one of those guns you are discussing. I'm 4x more likely to be shot by those "A-Okay" handguns you describe.

We should play a game called Ban or don't Ban... Then you'll realize how nuanced the topic actually is and how emotion is completely overriding logic.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-22-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #213
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
The Browning Auto 5 was first patented in 1905. The M1 the first major gas operated rifle in the 1930s.

School shootings are newer phenomenon so its something else. I'd rather look into deterrence and education before we start banning something that the public has had access to for over a century.
I'm going to guess the change is that semi automatic weapons are in much wider use and there has been a general deterioration in the mental health and value system of our society (mental health and values being related).

Banning some weapons is what I would call (and typically detest) a band-aid solution. It's more of a left wing totalitarian solution. The problem is that fixing the value system and mental health of this society is probably going to be a multi-generational solution that will run into serious resistance from the left.

So maybe a reasonable compromise is extreme vetting.

I am OK with extreme vetting for immigrants from countries where a preponderance of the people have hostile feelings towards the US even though incremental risk is small. My feeling is why accept even 1 unnecessary death if we can lower the risk by covering ourselves better up front. They can come here, just make sure.

So why not look at the data on who is committing these mass shootings, consider them a higher risk class, and do extreme vetting before allowing them to purchase a gun that might kill one of our kids?

It's the same thing, but it seems the left and right are on opposite sides from each other and themselves depending on the issue.

Profiling may be unappealing in some ways, but statistics work.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-22-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #214
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
So maybe a reasonable compromise is extreme vetting.
NOBODY is against Background Checks.

That's the problem with this issue. I get wait listed 75% I make a purchase. I'm not sure why but probably because someone with a similar name and social security number is not a nice person. I wait my 1-3 days and pick up my purchase... its completely random when it occurs as well. My last two purchases were a wait list the third I wasn't and the fourth I was.

The problem isn't the age.

It isn't the type because frankly its too difficult to administer.

It isn't some fake term like "assault weapon." 99.9% of "assault weapons" don't assault anything other than paper. One of mine assaults deer but only holds 3 rounds... is that an assault weapon too?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #215
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
What facts?
The premise of your post was your opinion.

Quote:
if you need 15 to 30 shots to protect yourself maybe you need to practice shooting more
You are entitled to have it, but that doesn't make it a fact.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #216
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Should probably look into the accuracy of trained servicemen and what the military thinks the average small arms hit % is.

I'll give you a hint... its well below 1%.

GAO estimate is that the US is currently expending 250,000 small arms rounds per insurgent kill.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #217
classhandicapper

Quote:
NOBODY is against Background Checks.

That's the problem with this issue. I get wait listed 75% I make a purchase. I'm not sure why but probably because someone with a similar name and social security number is not a nice person. I wait my 1-3 days and pick up my purchase... its completely random when it occurs as well. My last two purchases were a wait list the third I wasn't and the fourth I was.

The problem isn't the age.

It isn't the type because frankly its too difficult to administer.

It isn't some fake term like "assault weapon." 99.9% of "assault weapons" don't assault anything other than paper. One of mine assaults deer but only holds 3 rounds... is that an assault weapon too?
On the one hand you have people pointing to reasons that guns aren't the core problem and on another you have people thinking that guns are the entire problem.

In the mean time, kids are dying. That means there's a problem.

Gun advocates are in denial just like the left is every time some extremist US hater from the middle east bombs a western country. They misrepresent stats and want to invite more without vetting.

There has to be a compromise somewhere.

I'm talking about vetting that goes beyond a background check that makes you wait 3 stinking days. My Amazon purchases of vitamins take longer than that. We should identify the groups that are higher risk and do a COMPREHENSIVE risk analysis and background check.

We don't allow kids to drink until 21 because we are afraid they aren't responsible enough and may drive and kill someone but we allow them to buy and own weapons. That's ridiculous.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-22-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #218
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Should probably look into the accuracy of trained servicemen and what the military thinks the average small arms hit % is.

GAO estimate is that the US is currently expending 250,000 small arms rounds per insurgent kill.
Wait...what? Am I reading this wrong?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #219
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Wait...what? Am I reading this wrong?
No, you are not.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #220
azeri98

Quote:
I can. You need to propose something first. I'm more likely to be stabbed to death than shot with one of those guns you are discussing. I'm 4x more likely to be shot by those "A-Okay" handguns you describe.

We should play a game called Ban or don't Ban... Then you'll realize how nuanced the topic actually is and how emotion is completely overriding logic.
As a single individual, yes you are more likely to be killed by a knife, handgun or even being hit by a car, the point is 17 school kids would not have been killed by a hand gun or knife, sometimes you have to protect society as a whole and give up some individual rights to protect the many, I'm a born American but now live in Canada because I married someone from here and decided to move, I thought it would be better to raise kids here, I think I made the right decision, I see both sides of the argument, my parents live in Michigan and my dad has guns, I ask him why do you need this type of gun?. He can't give me a good answer, he just says its my right, it is, but why do you need it? Like I said before I realize the right to protect yourself, if I lived there I would but not with an "assault rifle" or whatever you want to call it. The U.S. is my birthplace and love it, I just don't like the direction is going from both sides
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #221
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
'll give you a hint... its well below 1%.

Makes zero sense, even if I'm reading it right.

The above is saying that for every insurgent kill by the US military, it is expending 250,000 bullets, essentially? That's insane.

Even at a 1/2 percent hit rate, that's over 1,200 bullets hitting a single body...

I must be reading this wrong. It's insane.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #222
azeri98

Quote:

You're talking about war and fighting with enemies who are trained, not shooting kids in a barrel, sorry a school, big difference
Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #223
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Makes zero sense, even if I'm reading it right.

The above is saying that for every insurgent kill by the US military, it is expending 250,000 bullets, essentially? That's insane.

Even at a 1/2 percent hit rate, that's over 1,200 bullets hitting a single body...

I must be reading this wrong. It's insane.
You are not.

Hop on Youtube and watch some cam videos from places like Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria. You are seeing thousands upon thousands of rounds being expended in those brief firefights before the A10 or Apache rolls in and puts an end to it.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #224
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What facts?
The premise of your post was your opinion.

What other civilized countries have the amount of mass shootings that the U.S. does, or even gun related deaths, no country comes even remotely close, Are we more mentally ill than every other country, whats the reason behind all these mass killings, mental health is a big part but so is access to guns that can kill a lot of people in a short period of time
Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #225
elysiantraveller

Quote:
You're talking about war and fighting with enemies who are trained, not shooting kids in a barrel, sorry a school, big difference
Put armed guards in the school.
Closed Thread