Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #1
fmhealth

Does this add up for my fellow 'cappers??

Perusing the entries for next week at TUP I encountered an unusual set of circumstances that I can't seem to reconcile. Your sage insights would be greatly appreciated.

Race #7 on 12/26 is the "Cave Creek Stakes". The usual local trainers with their charges are lined-up for this $25,000 race. Upon further review, I found a horse that is becoming a conundrum for me. "For Greater Glory"#2, ships in from the East coast, 2,400 miles ONE WAY!! His trainer D. Jacobson is well known out east but I've NEVER seen him enter a horse at TUP.

Here's where the story gets even more convoluted. He won a $50,000 claimer two back. The winners share was greater than the total purse for this contest. He has a few recent works, none over the TUP strip & looks like a square price @ 5-1 ML. Picks up a local jock that is 9% winners for the meet (Issy Hernandez).

So, if he prevails & heads back to his home base that'll be almost a 5,000 mile trip for the winners share of less than $15,000!! Could anyone kindly enlighten me as to how this makes good business sense. Keeping in mind that Jacobson is a bright fellow that is as sharp or sharper than most trainers.

Be Well,
fmhealth
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
jay68802

Probably shipping to Santa Anita and stopping along the way to try to pick up a check. Surprised by the choice of jockey, but could have been that the jockeys were already committed on other rides.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 01:12 AM   #3
ultracapper

Agree with Jay. Headed to SA. Maybe trainer is bringing a string. Maybe owner has some reason to want the horse in Cali. Whatever it might be, it's not a stretch to guess the horse is headed to SA. Not a certainty, but not a stretch either.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth View Post
Perusing the entries for next week at TUP I encountered an unusual set of circumstances that I can't seem to reconcile. Your sage insights would be greatly appreciated.

Race #7 on 12/26 is the "Cave Creek Stakes". The usual local trainers with their charges are lined-up for this $25,000 race. Upon further review, I found a horse that is becoming a conundrum for me. "For Greater Glory"#2, ships in from the East coast, 2,400 miles ONE WAY!! His trainer D. Jacobson is well known out east but I've NEVER seen him enter a horse at TUP.

Here's where the story gets even more convoluted. He won a $50,000 claimer two back. The winners share was greater than the total purse for this contest. He has a few recent works, none over the TUP strip & looks like a square price @ 5-1 ML. Picks up a local jock that is 9% winners for the meet (Issy Hernandez).

So, if he prevails & heads back to his home base that'll be almost a 5,000 mile trip for the winners share of less than $15,000!! Could anyone kindly enlighten me as to how this makes good business sense. Keeping in mind that Jacobson is a bright fellow that is as sharp or sharper than most trainers.

Be Well,
fmhealth
Turning a family trip into a legit business expense for the IRS. Plus maybe pick up some expense money in the process. Charles Givens used to tell people to stop at a few businesses to ask about jobs and drop off your resumes to deduct some of those costs as an IRS deduction. I never had the cajones to risk an audit for that idea.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
reckless
Veteran

I worked for a sports editor who planned his family vacations around free-lance writing jobs at various sports-crazy areas.

Be it a live game reporting job, a feature column of a well-known coach or player and his favorite -- a column about a local schoolboy hero who later became a well-known college or pro star.

He had the street cred to land these free-lance gigs and a tax deduction on his vacation costs to boot!
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
linrom1
Veteran

Jacobson is bringing a division to race at Santa Anita this winter.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Turning a family trip into a legit business expense for the IRS. Plus maybe pick up some expense money in the process. Charles Givens used to tell people to stop at a few businesses to ask about jobs and drop off your resumes to deduct some of those costs as an IRS deduction. I never had the cajones to risk an audit for that idea.
OMG!!! The Holiday Vacation Stakes at Turf Paradise. 3up that have started at any other track than TUP since last racing at TUP. $35k added.

Every and any owner vacationing from L.A. to Albequerque just needs to drag a horse along and write off a bit of the trip for business.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
biggestal99

So do I play (bet for), lay (bet against) or pass?

I am thinking that he'll get bet so I am thinking taking a minor stance against.

What do others think?

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
So do I play (bet for), lay (bet against) or pass?

I am thinking that he'll get bet so I am thinking taking a minor stance against.

What do others think?

Allan
He is one of the slowest horses in the race, if I was playing I would hope he gets bet all to heck.

These 25-50k races are basically written for the best hard hitters at TuP, and while in general they are lessor stakes horses they still are the best at the track and its going to take Alw or high level claimers to win from SA or Aqu.

Its kinda like the bottem level mdn claimers in reverse.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
OMG!!! The Holiday Vacation Stakes at Turf Paradise. 3up that have started at any other track than TUP since last racing at TUP. $35k added.

Every and any owner vacationing from L.A. to Albequerque just needs to drag a horse along and write off a bit of the trip for business.
WHOOSH!
Old 12-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
fmhealth

"For Greater Glory" was an early scratch @ TUP this morning. Perhaps he'll turn up in the SA starting gate soon.

Be Well,
fmhealth
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply