Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
podonne
Eliminator

Current sources for cost effective CSV data files?

Greetings,

I've been looking for a current source of DRF\BRIS-style 1K+ field CSV data files but haven't found anything nearly as useful\cost effective as the old TSN unlimited monthly plan for $60 I used to have. Now they charge $1 a card and no volume discounts! DRF doesn't seem to have data files at all, Equibase, maybe?

HDW is still around, but I can't figure out whether the data files that are targeted for a specific program are plain-text files that can be read, or if I have to buy a program and export them card-by-card (ouch). Does HDW sell just a generic data file format on a monthly basis, instead of for specific programs?

Hoping that some new easier-to-use data providers have popped up in the last few years. They really do not make this game easy for the computer handicapper...

Regards,
Podonne
Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by podonne
Greetings,

I've been looking for a current source of DRF\BRIS-style 1K+ field CSV data files but haven't found anything nearly as useful\cost effective as the old TSN unlimited monthly plan for $60 I used to have. Now they charge $1 a card and no volume discounts! DRF doesn't seem to have data files at all, Equibase, maybe?

HDW is still around, but I can't figure out whether the data files that are targeted for a specific program are plain-text files that can be read, or if I have to buy a program and export them card-by-card (ouch). Does HDW sell just a generic data file format on a monthly basis, instead of for specific programs?

Hoping that some new easier-to-use data providers have popped up in the last few years. They really do not make this game easy for the computer handicapper...

Regards,
Podonne
I am an HTR subscriber. The HTR program will export virtually all the data contained in the HDW files to .csv files that can be imported to a database. See the export file specs at the bottom of this page: http://homebased2.com/km/library.htm

I'm pretty sure HDW doesn't sell generic data files.

Last edited by BillW; 07-02-2012 at 01:56 PM.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
podonne
Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
I am an HTR subscriber. The HTR program will export virtually all the data contained in the HDW files to .csv files that can be imported to a database. See the export file specs at the bottom of this page: http://homebased2.com/km/library.htm

I'm pretty sure HDW doesn't sell generic data files.
Thanks for your comment. I'm ideally looking specifically for providers where I can download the files and parse them automatically, without downloading\paying for a different program and manually exporting to text files.

That said, if a free program (or one that comes free with the HDW subscription) has a 100% automated downloader\exporter, that could work. Especially if the program adds additional\proprietary information.

I should mention I'd obviously like to get both the programs\pps and (at least) the exotic results. Charts would be great, but not required. It looks like HDW sells only "race files" which I assume don't include the results?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Thanks for your comment. I'm ideally looking specifically for providers where I can download the files and parse them automatically, without downloading\paying for a different program and manually exporting to text files.

That said, if a free program (or one that comes free with the HDW subscription) has a 100% automated downloader\exporter, that could work. Especially if the program adds additional\proprietary information.

I should mention I'd obviously like to get both the programs\pps and (at least) the exotic results. Charts would be great, but not required. It looks like HDW sells only "race files" which I assume don't include the results?
HTR programs are free and contains proprietary info. Downloader/exporter not quite as automated as I would like- I have to export 6 files a day to get all the data I want from all tracks. If you're not a DIY'er, an access template is provided for DB import. Complete results and full charts are included in the data price (see the chart spec at the link I provided above)

You might check with Jeff (Jcapper) and Dave (HSH) about their export/DB capabilities - I'm just not as familiar with theirs.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Check with Jeff at JCapper.com, they offer the industry standard 1435 field single file data files (like Bris/TSN), from HDW, with unlimited download plans; daily, or monthly. You get the JCapper Silver software free,also, with your data subscription I believe.

AllData can use Bris/TSN or these JCapper data files, so, the JCapper/HDW unlimited downloads plans areperfect for those who play multiple tracks and/or populate databases.

With the JCapper/HDW data you get both the data and the results files (.jcp ( Bris .drf/.mcp type card files) and .xrd files (Bris Exotic Results type results files)).

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 07-07-2012 at 08:41 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
podonne
Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Check with Jeff at JCapper.com, they offer the industry standard 1435 field single file data files (like Bris/TSN), from HDW, with unlimited download plans; daily, or monthly. You get the JCapper Silver software free,also, with your data subscription I believe.

AllData can use Bris/TSN or these JCapper data files, so, the JCapper/HDW unlimited downloads plans areperfect for those who play multiple tracks and/or populate databases.

With the JCapper/HDW data you get both the data and the results files (.jcp ( Bris .drf/.mcp type card files) and .xrd files (Bris Exotic Results type results files)).
I did reach out to Jeff (Hi Jeff), but it still seems like a few steps would have to be automated with a third software program to automate mouse clicks and such to get the exports to happen every day. I'm really just looking to download the full CSV file, like you used to be able to do with the TSN advantage plan.

Hard to believe its not possible anymore. What happened while I was gone?!?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
I did reach out to Jeff (Hi Jeff), but it still seems like a few steps would have to be automated with a third software program to automate mouse clicks and such to get the exports to happen every day. I'm really just looking to download the full CSV file, like you used to be able to do with the TSN advantage plan.

Hard to believe its not possible anymore. What happened while I was gone?!?
Yes, you would have to use the free JCapper software to download all the files for the day from HDW (all in one shot to the best of my knowledge), to a folder on your hard drive, then your software would take it from there, moving the day's batch file to your software's folder. Not a problem for daily use, but if you wanted the software to automatically download the files, every day, some other automation would have to be done first.

To answer your last question, things in the racing industry are declining not progressing.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 07-08-2012 at 08:16 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
MooseDog

TrackMaster has a BRIS-like CSV file that might work for you. They do not include all fields that BRIS did in their version of the file but the basics - running line info are all there. It was originally designed to work with their MPH software which only uses a few data fields.

$79 month unlimited.

TM Comma Delimited Files

You'll want the B format. Field spec is available from "Product Description".

...this is not an endorsement of the product.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
podonne
Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog
TrackMaster has a BRIS-like CSV file that might work for you. They do not include all fields that BRIS did in their version of the file but the basics - running line info are all there. It was originally designed to work with their MPH software which only uses a few data fields.

$79 month unlimited.

TM Comma Delimited Files

You'll want the B format. Field spec is available from "Product Description".

...this is not an endorsement of the product.
This is very interesting. I like the CSV and the XML format. The CSV certainly looks like the BRIS file format, which fields are missing?

Love the XML format as well. I wonder if there are things in the XML that aren't in the CSV and vice versa. It looks like the subscription gets me both, so maybe the combination would be enough data?