Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
This bring on track exacta pools close to the deal that many online betters get with rebates. That being said, it is probably too little, too late. But least it shows that some tracks are beginning to think about reducing takeout rates.
it is a true statement.

i just bought a horse yesterday from this lady that i had bought from before. i paid $5700 for this horse. he is better looking that the brother that i had bought from her 7 years ago for $75,000. this is what has happened to the racing game. i bought horses for $10,000 this year that 3 years ago would have been $150,000. these are the type of horses that can win at major meets like saratoga or gulfstream and keeneland
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #17
Charlie D

This is just a gimmick to get fans through the Deleware Park gates. Just like supermarkets use the "buy two, get one free" to get people through their doors instead of going to another supermarket.

More inside venue, more revenue from such things as entrance fees, food and drink etc

thats my two penneth anyway.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #18
Horseplayersbet.com

It will be interesting how Equibase handles the payoffs.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #19
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
So someone finally CUTS TAKEOUT by a substantial amount and you're whining and moaning? Unbelievable. So they only did it on track to start---if it works there, don't you think they might say, "Gee, we cut takeout on track and people here bet a lot more on exactas...maybe the same thing would happen if we cut the takeout for everyone?" Someone is actually TRYING for once and showing they have a clue, and it SHOULD be applauded and supported. That's how we get more tracks to do it.
I agree.

The only way to increase on-track attendance, is to give people an added incentive for showing up for the "live" product.

This is a step in the right direction, IMO, and I hope it succeeds in a big way...
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
InTheRiver68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
It will be interesting how Equibase handles the payoffs.
I hadn't thought of that...they usually report on-track prices, don't they?

- InTheRiver68
InTheRiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #21
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I agree.

The only way to increase on-track attendance, is to give people an added incentive for showing up for the "live" product.

This is a step in the right direction, IMO, and I hope it succeeds in a big way...
partially right. we seem to forget that horseracing is a fan participation sport. the game has gotten away from that, the results are glaring
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #22
Charlie D

They seem to forget that we are in the year 2010 Lamboguy and not 1910.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #23
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D
They seem to forget that we are in the year 2010 Lamboguy and not 1910.
Who is "they" Charlie?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #24
Charlie D

The people in charge of this sport mianly thaskalos.

Do they know most own a laptop, PC, have access to internet. do they know a 10% take exactas on track is probably not going to entice many to drive from home to Delaware Park because we live in 2010 with it's technology and not 1910 where none of this were available.

Last edited by Charlie D; 08-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #25
thaskalos

Quote:
The people in charge of this sport mianly thaskalos.

Do they know most own a laptop, PC, have access to internet. do they know a 10% take exactas on track is probably not going to entice many to drive from home to Delaware Park because we live in 2010 with it's technology and not 1910 where none of this were available.
The leaders of this industry are so "out-of -touch" with reality...that even a small step in the right direction should be applauded, IMO.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #26
Charlie D

Quote:
The leaders of this industry are so "out-of -touch" with reality

You got it thaskalos. And that being so, a much better step would have been to lower take for all those people who play Delaware Park racing regardless of location.

As stated the majority of Joe public are not going to drive to DP because of this gimmick. A lot may be attracted to play there, invest more into pools, if they were able to benefit from this gimmick though.

This action should benefit the WHOLE of racing and not just a small minority.

Last edited by Charlie D; 08-27-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #27
Rutgers

Quote:
So someone finally CUTS TAKEOUT by a substantial amount and you're whining and moaning? Unbelievable. So they only did it on track to start---if it works there, don't you think they might say, "Gee, we cut takeout on track and people here bet a lot more on exactas...maybe the same thing would happen if we cut the takeout for everyone?" Someone is actually TRYING for once and showing they have a clue, and it SHOULD be applauded and supported. That's how we get more tracks to do it.

Delaware Park did not “cut takeout” for everyone, it only “cut the takeout” for the on-track wagers. While this is good for those on-track, it actually puts people off-track playing exactas at a disadvantage. And since the majority of the money bet on Delaware Park comes from off-track, more horseplayers are hurt by bonus then are helped by it. And it is inequity in takeout rates (or effective takeout rates) that hurts horse racing in the end, so I am not so sure Delaware Park really has a “clue”.

I believe that was the point Foolish Pleasure was making.
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #28
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Really trying? Spare me! Here's a track that gets purses subsidized out the ying-yang, every race, every day, from the slots' brigade and ten years later they decide to cut rates on one pool for two months for the smallest percentage of their horseplayer customer base. This is nothing more than a cynical bird-flip that will result in very little of anything. Then it will be abandoned because it wasn't "popular".

Last edited by rrbauer; 08-27-2010 at 05:33 PM.
rrbauer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
Really trying? Spare me! Here's a track that gets purses subsidized out the ying-yang, every race, every day, from the slots' brigade and ten years later they decide to cut rates on one pool for two months for the smallest percentage of their horseplayer customer base. This is nothing more than a cynical bird-flip that will result in very little of anything. Then it will be abandoned because it wasn't "popular".

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! Who in the world is going to go to New Castle, Delaware, just for this? When it doesn't work, we'll be told takeout reductions are a flop.

Until there is a cooperative effort among many tracks, it is all just pissing in the wind.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #30
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
You got it thaskalos. And that being so, a much better step would have been to lower take for all those people who play Delaware Park racing regardless of location.

As stated the majority of Joe public are not going to drive to DP because of this gimmick. A lot may be attracted to play there, invest more into pools, if they were able to benefit from this gimmick though.

This action should benefit the WHOLE of racing and not just a small minority.
Isn't this what we can expect with all the ADW and simulasting partners, who have balked at reducing their take, refused to take signals, etc. in the past when a track has reduced its take?

If the track only keeps 5% of a 20% take on exactas, how can they offer a 10% take? Will the ADW drop their take so that each are only taking 5%?

I have to think they are offering it ontrack only because they don't have negotiate with anyone to do it.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: