Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #46
Foolish Pleasure
Veteran

What would happen if Party Poker started buying US card rooms?

The one Party proprietor Dikshit only paid hundreds of millions in fines to the US gov't-this long after Party Poker stopped taking US citizens.

-hint another rhetorical question, the fed would try and get more money out of them from when they were breaking US law just like Betfair was when offering their services to Americans.
Foolish Pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #47
Charlie D

From Paulick

Quote:
the local books. “Betfair is killing us” stated a well positioned British bookmaker who attended Saratoga recently!

Not seen any of the numerous book making shops in my area shutting down despite above.

The books, the people on Paulick calling for people to oppose are only interested in ensuring they have little or no competition from others in making money.

Last edited by Charlie D; 08-21-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #48
rwwupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
If horseplayersbet.com cared about his own pocket, he would line up to kill this bill with Twinspires and Expressbet, because it means less business for him.
I agree, He has a lot of knowledge and is selfless and understands the big picture.We can all benefit from listening to him.

rwwupl

Last edited by rwwupl; 08-21-2010 at 01:46 PM.
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #49
Charlie D

HANA wants to get stuck in here, i reckon. Find out who will be voting on this bill and get some lobbying done (try to keep explanation short and sweet) on behalf of US bettors
Old 08-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #50
jamey1977

rIDICULOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
I'm not even sure if CA got screwed as I'm wondering if someone out in CA wants this. Note who's put their name out there in opposition - Santa Anita and Churchill Downs. Where is the CHRB? Where is Hollywood Park and Del Mar? How did this part of the bill get added? Who has the pull to make that happen?
Frickin Ridiculous. Just have the same takeout rate as you did in 2007, dumb horse establishment people . At least these guys want to bring new wagers to the sport. Nothing else frickin works. Do you think people like losing everything they have.? I have a friend who lost 300 dollars in one day. That's why no one comes back. They can't beat the damn game, A new wager brings interest in the sport. I am an expert on horses that choke. i should be? LOL I would love to bet 100 dollars with someone hoping the horse will choke so I can win. If I lose , he wins. Someone still wins. We have more of a chance to succeed. You idiot horse track establishment people have done nothing to make horseplayers better. Most of the newbies get their butts kicked and they never come back. New wagers help stir interest. And take the take-out, you fools were taking in 2007. Anything to save this sport. Giving these lousy seminars before first-race post time does not help anyone. All the dummies do is write down their Exacta singles. No one knows - Betting To Win and Betting to Win and Place is the only way . Some coaching. Those public cappers don't even bet for a living. What a joke.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #51
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
If horseplayersbet.com cared about his own pocket, he would line up to kill this bill with Twinspires and Expressbet, because it means less business for him.
Only if he is actually making money now. Trying to compete with the big "3" ADWs when an ADW is limited to the tracks it can offer, limited in the states it can market to, and operating with a lower margin to offer rebates, doesn't suggest growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwupl
I agree, He has a lot of knowledge and is selfless and understands the big picture.We can all benefit from listening to him.

rwwupl
Of course we can't rule ot the possibility the HPB is a non-profit organization operated solely for the benefit of its customers.

With connections developed to become and remain an ADW owner, would he not be well-positioned to become an exchange operator as well or instead (no specifics preventing that so far)?

For those thinking that CA horseplayers should support the bill if only because the people against it have proven themselves to be the most dedicated customer abusers, and who are going to eventually get their takeout hike even if this bill is defeated, consider the possibility that his could be a double-feint by CDW to fool some into supporting their interests.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #52
andymays
Veteran

CALIFORNIA: PUTTING THE CART AHEAD OF THE HORSE

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/ca...-of-the-horse/

Excerpt:

But the insertion of the exchange wagering language has caused MI Developments, which owns Santa Anita Park, Golden Gate Fields, and Xpressbet.com, and Churchill Downs Inc., owner of TwinSPires.com, to strongly oppose AB-2414. The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club still supports the bill, based on AB-2414’s language saying exchange wagering can not go forward without written contracts with tracks and horsemen’s associations. TOC also supports the amended AB-2414, though TOC chairman Arnold Zetcher said the organization is neutral on the exchange wagering portion of the bill. “We are very supportive of the takeout increase because of what it will mean to purses,” Zetcher told the Paulick Report. “We are neutral on (exchange wagering) but it is written to our satisfaction that there are enough checks and balances and with veto rights by horsemen.”
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #53
Charlie D

Pualick comment

Quote:
The tote in Great Britain handles less than 5% of the action and the sport suffers badly
Loving these comments.

TO running around 23- 30% could be cause of problem here, just like high TO is problem for US Tote and one only has to look at York this week to know sport is not suffering.

Last edited by Charlie D; 08-21-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #54
Charlie D

Quote:

We are very supportive of the takeout increase because of what it will mean to purses

These people are crackers.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #55
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
The leadership in California tried to sneak this bill through in order to raise the takeout. Unfortunately for them it is all screwed up now.

The best part is that now they are asking for Horseplayers help to defeat a part of their own bill.

This really takes the cake.
I wouldn't be too smug in your assessment of the racetrack's posture on this. They are very carefully diverting attention from the provision in this bill to raise takeout. When the bill passes and horseplayers start their moaning and bitching, the industry "leadership" can simply say that they were against this bill all along, but now that the takeout increase has been mandated by the legislature they will have to go along with the state leadership and implement the raise. I know that most of us think that these guys are dummies but they are also very adept at getting their way in the political arena...something that they do much more frequently than we brilliant horseplayers. And, so long as the TOC, etc. have approval rights over the betting mechanism; betting exchanges, if and when approved, will be a long way from being implemented.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #56
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
I wouldn't be too smug in your assessment of the racetrack's posture on this. They are very carefully diverting attention from the provision in this bill to raise takeout. When the bill passes and horseplayers start their moaning and bitching, the industry "leadership" can simply say that they were against this bill all along, but now that the takeout increase has been mandated by the legislature they will have to go along with the state leadership and implement the raise. I know that most of us think that these guys are dummies but they are also very adept at getting their way in the political arena...something that they do much more frequently than we brilliant horseplayers. And, so long as the TOC, etc. have approval rights over the betting mechanism; betting exchanges, if and when approved, will be a long way from being implemented.
If you read the Paulick article it appears that there is a split in California. It looks like Del Mar versus the rest.

The fact that there is a problem with the bill that was supposed to be stealth tells me they're a bunch of screwups. This was supposed to pass easy with nobody knowing about it.

I can guarantee you they're fighting about it as we speak.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #57
Charlie D

Shame it's not a on Live feed Andy
Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #58
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D
Shame it's not a on Live feed Andy
Agree.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #59
DeanT

Follow the money Andy.

TOC and Del Mar/CHRB are FOR a takeout hike because they believe the higher the price, the more money for them. They also are FOR the exchange because betfair will give them money for purses.

Xpressbet and Twinspires were FOR the Bill because a higher takeout they think makes more money for them. Now, when exchange wagering is noticed, they are AGAINST the bill because it will mean a new competitor for them, where they will have to fight for money and compete.

Like most of racing: It is not about growing the sport, it is all about protecting each persons slice of a shrinking pie.

Horseplayers and industry watchers have been saying this for years - but this time we get to watch it unfold right before our very eyes in a massive (and very public) cat fight.

Last edited by DeanT; 08-21-2010 at 03:57 PM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #60
Charlie D

Quote:

Like most of racing: It is not about growing the sport, it is all about protecting each persons slice of a shrinking pie.

Spot on Dean