Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #16
depalma113

Here's a better idea for Breeders Cup Limited. They need to get creative with their wagering options.

My idea is the Pick 6 Plus wager. (Could also be done as a Pick 4, or Pick 3)

It combines fantasy and regular parimutuel wagering.

It would be a $4 minimum bet.

$2 would go into the fantasy pool that pays out to the top 20% of winners and $2 would go into the regular Pick 6 pool.

The player would choose a horse from each race and their final score would be based on the total dollar amount their horses won over those six races.

The player would only get one horse per race, but could enter numerous times to go deeper in individual races.

That ticket would also be live in the Pick 6.

One ticket, two ways to win!

No other sport can offer you a chance to win twice with the same entry!

The fantasy players would flock to it.

Go on Draftkings or Fanduel and you will see people have no problem paying $4 for an entry into a guaranteed prize pool and many would enter up to 500 times if it wasn't capped at 20 - 150 entries per contest.

Last edited by depalma113; 01-25-2018 at 09:41 AM.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Most of my horizontal bets already incorporate a good deal of fantasy.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

add some chorizo and relish

Why the **** should Bobby Flay be used as an 'appeal to authority' here?

No disrespect to Flay, but he's known as a 'celebrity owner'. It's great that he associates his brand with racing. It does help the sport. He may well be some great thinker and an expert in strategic event planning and horse racing, but we've never had the privilege of seeing that side of him yet.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #19
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Most of my horizontal bets already incorporate a good deal of fantasy.
See you are already ahead of the game.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #20
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesmark View Post
With a BC in December,and a new "Derby" race for 3yo only;,wouldn't trainers have to keep horses in training longer,since the next season would be getting underway soon after the previous one ended.Less layoffs,more starts for the top level competition assuming they remain healthy + sound...

And also an "Oaks" race for three-year-old fillies - plus the Fair Grounds and Lone Star Park would also be in the mix.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #21
jay68802

The moving of the dates to December does one thing. It makes the host track owned by TSG. A point was made earlier that Oaklawn can't host it, and that leaves the only other possible tack Churchill Downs. And that turf course in December would be a nightmare. Not to mention that attendance would be affected by the weather. Looks like a move by TSG to get the Breeders Cup as one of their events.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
dilanesp

I think it is nuts.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #23
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
The moving of the dates to December does one thing. It makes the host track owned by TSG. A point was made earlier that Oaklawn can't host it, and that leaves the only other possible tack Churchill Downs. And that turf course in December would be a nightmare. Not to mention that attendance would be affected by the weather. Looks like a move by TSG to get the Breeders Cup as one of their events.
Some of you must think Stronach lives under your bed.

While what you said is true, this stupid idea would have to go somewhere warm which rules out everywhere but CA basically, there's no indication that anyone but Flay is behind this idea.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #24
dilanesp

The thing about the "go somewhere warm" theory is if you wanted to do that, you would simply "go somewhere warm". I think everyone here knows they have flirted with the idea of holding it at Santa Anita every year. They don't do that, but they do hold it at Santa Anita a lot, and one of the reasons is precisely that it is somewhere warm.

But if you move it to December-- guess what, Southern California, like everywhere else, is COLDER in December. Which would defeat the purpose of going somewhere warm.

My guess is that there are some horsemen who grumble about having to run their 3 year olds against older horses, and they are trying to respond to that. At any rate, the idea is nuts.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #25
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The thing about the "go somewhere warm" theory is if you wanted to do that, you would simply "go somewhere warm". I think everyone here knows they have flirted with the idea of holding it at Santa Anita every year. They don't do that, but they do hold it at Santa Anita a lot, and one of the reasons is precisely that it is somewhere warm.

But if you move it to December-- guess what, Southern California, like everywhere else, is COLDER in December. Which would defeat the purpose of going somewhere warm.

My guess is that there are some horsemen who grumble about having to run their 3 year olds against older horses, and they are trying to respond to that. At any rate, the idea is nuts.
I'd bet my life savings that this hasn't happened. Trainers all know that 3yos run against older horses at that time of year. Always have and always shall be. Besides, they gave the reason. "Derby envy."
Old 01-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I'd be OK with a 3yrold turf route, but not a dirt route. The BCC without 3yrolds would suck.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #27
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I'd be OK with a 3yrold turf route, but not a dirt route. The BCC without 3yrolds would suck.
Are there really that many G1 turf 3yo routers to need that race? Any evidence that they can't hold their own against older? The open turf races are the only races to have multiple fillies, and 3yo fillies, to win.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:33 AM   #28
biggestal99

Breeders cup derby in December? Why?

moving BC to december would make the current preps for the races moot

Laurel? would not mind it for a singleBC Is it big enough?

Allan (who has attend the last 17 straight BCs)
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #29
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I think they should make that month-later race be for all the winners of the previous month's BC races....young and old, gender-mixing, turfs and dirts...at 7 1/2 furlongs on a turf course with a 1/4 mile dirt stretch...

Swing for the fences, BC. (It would make for some epic handicapping, wouldn't it?)
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #30
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Let's put one BC race each Saturday night at Charlestown, that way everyone gets something.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: