Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #76
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
BRIS has both PPs and data file up today.
You have to change the calendar on top to NOV and they are listed under the dates - 11/2-11/3.

DRF PPS for Classic and Turf are up at breederscup.com.

Anyone seen the DRF Advance hard copy on newsstands yet?
I need to find a copy. Maybe next week it would be out.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #77
letswastemoney

Mendelssohn was best in JCGC. I wish he stayed in North America though.

If they were going to do an American campaign, there was no logical point in letting Aidan O'Brien keep him.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #78
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
Mendelssohn was best in JCGC. I wish he stayed in North America though.

If they were going to do an American campaign, there was no logical point in letting Aidan O'Brien keep him.
I agree Mendy was best in the JCGC and O'Brien is the one who got him there. He planned his campaign and is carrying it out well. He is doing all the right things with this horse and should stay on with him.

I've been reading an interesting article on how O'Brien uses the principles of bioenergetics in bringing his horses to their physiological peaks, including the use of pulse monitors in training. Seems to be working well with Mendy.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2018, 12:32 AM   #79
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
His improving figures and performances indicate he is turning it around.
No doubt he has improved in his last 3 starts, but when tempered by the reality that he has not throttled his early speed sufficiently to allow for a strong finish, when it's all said and done, his best has not been good enough. Furthermore, the Jockey Club Gold Cup may be representative of his peak and there's no guarantee (or indication) that he has more room to improve.

Nevertheless, he's a brave horse as he offered some resistance to both Catholic Boy and Thunder Snow in his last two before ultimately wilting in the final furlong. I would anticipate a 1994 Bertrando BC Classic effort...a 1993 Bertrando BC Classic at best...

Quote:
You can't just look at the stretch run in a vacuum in isolation of what preceded it.
Considering that I highlighted a pattern in Mendelssohn's running lines over multiple races, it should go without saying that I was taking nothing in a vacuum. If Mendelssohn keeps running--to his disadvantage--into fast paces in all his races than that simply means either (a) he's too fast too early for his own good or (b) the nature of top class dirt racing is to see fast early paces. There's no evidence that we should expect a monumental change in style or conditions in the BC Classic.

Furthermore, its a bit hyperbolic to say Mendelssohn was attending the pace. Ryan Moore wisely checked his mount in the first quarter once it was apparent that the dunderhead riding Diversify was going to impersonate a nighttime jockey at Los Alamitos. If Moore made a mistake, it was going all in at the 1/2 mile pole--way too early to hope that he had a prayer in the stretch.

Quote:
The further you are from a nuclear blast, the better your chances of surviving it.
That's probably what the jockey on Thunder Snow--also blessed with natural early speed--was thinking during the Jockey Club Gold Cup, and it proved to be the right move. Whereas Mendelssohn has yet to show the ability to rate (on dirt), Thunder Snow showed some additional versatility in the JCGC that makes him a much better win candidate in the BC Classic.

Quote:
Put a line through Mendelssohn's Derby non-race and he is also on his 3rd race off the lay-off.
The Jockey Club Gold Cup would have been his 3rd off the layoff in that instance. Which supports the notion that we might have seen his best in that race, which probably isn't good enough to win the BC Classic.

Quote:
The reason Thunder Snow ran as well as he did in the JVGC was that he lay back off that pace and closed on horses that had run killer sprint fractions.
Either Thunder Snow has a better jockey or more versatility or both...none which should be construed as points against him as far as winning the BC Classic.

Quote:
Had he played the setter/presser role he would have tired badly - much worse than Mendy or Diversify.
What's the evidence for this? He ran faster than Mendelssohn in Dubai against much better company.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 AM   #80
snappit

Great news. Enable will go to The Breeders Cup Turf. British bookies make her a 4/7 chance.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #81
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappit View Post
Great news. Enable will go to The Breeders Cup Turf. British bookies make her a 4/7 chance.

That is really great news. she's 2/5 odds on my line.

she aint losing.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #82
Gerard02

Anyone know where I can find a site that gives internal fractions of any horse, other than Trakus? I’m trying to cut down on doing times by hand with certain horses, like foreign horses or tracks that don’t have Trakus.
Gerard02 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: