Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Funny Cide

Hopefully he is back on track after a nice win today over hard luck Evening Attire. Very slow place, but everyone was right there, so it really didn't affect the outcome in my opinion. Good to see him back in the winner's circle after a stakes race...Met Mile next maybe?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2004, 04:28 PM   #2
Inglewood Flamingo

I agree CJ. He looked back on the beam. Met Mile seems logical. Maryland breds think alike!
Old 04-03-2004, 05:01 PM   #3
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

I say he goes in the "Pimlico Special". Nice Win!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

I believe the path they announced a while back was Excelsior, Pimlico Special, Stephen Foster.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I'm a big fan of his, and it was quite satisfying to see him win.

With that said, I can't be too impressed with this race. Evening Attire, while a nice horse, isn't exactly top grade racing material, and he did not get the best of trips yesterday on an off track that was favoring close to the pace runners.

Funny Cide, I'm afraid, is going to be hard pressed to win a Grade I race of any substance this year, unless he is somehow able to step it up a few notches.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
The Hawk

I agree with PA. He benefitted from a lack of pace in the race and still almost lost to the closing Evening Attire, who, in my opinion, was the best horse, given the race flow. Without another perfect trip he'll have trouble winning a race like the Pimlico Special.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
delayjf

It was nice to see him win again, but anyone else think the rail was golden that day?
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

A race like that is very difficult to assess. The pace was indeed slow, but ALL the horses were right there. It was basically a sprint home. The speed figure won't be much, but what I saw was that FC determination. He dug in and held off a very good, experienced horse. I think people are underestimating him and he will be a factor in the championships this year.

One thing, they need to do is let this horse run from the gate. He is more rateable than a War Emblem, but he doesn't like being hard held either. For some reason, that seems to be the strategy since he won the Preakness. I'm not sure why.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #9
Valuist

I agree with The Hawk. In a quarter mile sprint with a length or two head start, Evening Attire should not come close to running down Funny Cide. Yet he almost did.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

Quote:
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
... that FC determination. He dug in and held off a very good, experienced horse. I think people are underestimating him and he will be a factor in the championships this year.

One thing, they need to do is let this horse run from the gate. ... For some reason, that seems to be the strategy since he won the Preakness. I'm not sure why.
First off, I can't figure out if it was Funny Cide's determination, or Evening Attire's recency at not being able to get to the wire in time. He's lost a handful of starts recently where he should have gotten there, but just didn't have the final kick to go past. I'll go with a combination of the two factors, Funny Cide's determination, and Evening Attire's lack of.

Second, I believe Santos gave a perfect ride in the Excelsior. He did not restrain Funny Cide, instead, he kept a comfortable, soft hold of the reins, which kept Funny Cide comfortable and relaxed. I definitely do think there have been races where the horse was restrained which prevented him from relaxing. The big thing to remember, Tagg was very vocal in not appreciating the ride in the Belmont where Funny Cide ended up on the lead, even though it was comfortable fractions, and Santos clearly did not want to be there, but rather ended up there. So since then, it's seemingly apparent they do not want this horse on the lead. The Excelsior, however, was a perfect blend, of not wanting the lead, but not upsetting the horse with too strong a restraint, either.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:24 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I think I was unclear, I didn't have any problem with the ride Saturday...they did let him run. He is a presser, plain and simple. If this guy is laying farther back than 4th and more than a couple lengths off the lead, he is done. I just hope they stick with this style.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:01 AM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Cool the short field

The Short field makes it hard to analyze if you ask me.

It may be that he is ready to move into another sharp form cycle. He seemed like he wanted more. He was damn game in the Wood last year and he moved up after that. He could be going into a similar cycle.............and I agree they need to let him run...a little more

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: