Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:02 AM   #781
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The prodigal son returns. Maybe it is now time to close this disaster of a thread.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:03 AM   #782
zappedbythevicar
Journeyman

Last thought for the night...

I've always been a big fan of the mythical bankroll for the on air talent. Maybe even a real money bankroll sponsored by Gulfstream and profits donated to a charity.

Rarely done these days and in the past usually ends up with a big fat zero.

How about Andy starts one. Real or mythical. Post the plays on the video feed before the race with a running total. It could be daily, weekly, monthly or until busted. It would make things a lot more interesting and maybe boost the overall handle as the public might play along but it could also diminish his odds depending on how successful it is.

NO NO DONT CLOSE IT! give it another day at least! i only need another 24,000 posts to catch SRU

Last edited by zappedbythevicar; 02-12-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:12 AM   #783
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappedbythevicar
Last thought for the night...

I've always been a big fan of the mythical bankroll for the on air talent. Maybe even a real money bankroll sponsored by Gulfstream and profits donated to a charity.

Rarely done these days and in the past usually ends up with a big fat zero.

How about Andy starts one. Real or mythical. Post the plays on the video feed before the race with a running total. It could be daily, weekly, monthly or until busted. It would make things a lot more interesting and maybe boost the overall handle as the public might play along but it could also diminish his odds depending on how successful it is.

NO NO DONT CLOSE IT! give it another day at least! i only need another 24,000 post to catch SRU
They just closed a 75k epic thread and now this one, over 50k views, not sure why you close threads that people want to read but it's up to us to create content for the masses. Get to work if you want to run down the legend!!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:20 AM   #784
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
This was one of your quotes during a discussion when Hollywood Park was closing:

"I want to be a race caller," he emphasized. "I would love for any track to call me. I want to be a race caller. That's what makes me happy."

Then you went on to say this after "stepping down" as a steward:

“I left because I wanted to spend more time with my family,” Stauffer said, “and my desire to re-enter the profession of announcing has returned. I wasn't even a little bit interested in race calling for many, many months after Hollywood Park closed. My heart was broken. Those fires have rekindled and I'm going to actively seek becoming a race caller somewhere.”

What track are you waiting on? Dubai? Ascot? Happy Valley in Hong Kong? Almost every A & B track in North America has had turnover in recent months. Even Santa Anita and yet you're still on the bench.

For your sake I hope you got caught betting as a steward. If the people making these decisions are taking announcers like Mirahmadi over you and you honestly did nothing wrong, then you know its time to hang it up.
I didn't bet when I was a steward.

Since Hollywood Park closed there have been two announcing openings I REALLY wanted.

NYRA and Oaklawn.

I was very sure I was going to get NYRA about 10 days before they hired Larry. Evidently it was just wishful thinking. Needless to say they made an excellent hire as Mr. Collmus is an elite race caller.

The other job I greatly coveted was Oaklawn Park. A PERFECT fit for me. Great racing at a great venue in the spring. The real attraction of Oaklawn for me was they only race 3 months. At this point in my career that would be plenty.

They chose Peter Aiello and it's proven to be a good choice as he is doing an excellent job.

Oh well those two didn't go my way.

I did have some talks with Woodbine but really never had my heart into being away from San Fran for a long period unless it was NYRA. They too did GREAT with the naming of Robert Geller who has proven to be a perfect fit.

I did send a tape to Santa Anita because it is THE GREAT RACE PLACE. I knew there was zero chance they'd be interested in me but felt I should still show them the respect of inquiring. If I ran Santa Anita Vic Stauffer would be the last guy I'd consider.

I was the announcer 35 miles across town at their arch competitor Hollywood Park. We made a concerted effort to sound different than Santa Anita. To have our own brand and sound. There's no chance I'd consider a guy that worked for Pepsi when the job at Coke came open.

As for other opportunities. I have had some offers but still nothing that felt like just the right fit.

I also unfortunately have been battling some health issues recently that have shifted my focus somewhat.

I do think the right situation will eventually come up and when it does I'm looking forward to making some calls again. It sure sounds like fun.

As for you Man U I don't give a **** what you hope for me or think about me or anything else.

I'm going to continue to do what I've always done here on PA. Rejoice in our great sport. Trade jabs with fellow broken down horse players. Try to share a bit and teach what this game is all about inside the ropes. And try to pick a winner or two.

Trolls like you have never bothered me and NEVER will.

That's what makes you a hater and that suits me just fine.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:39 AM   #785
zappedbythevicar
Journeyman

I for one am still amazed with that run you had with Rosario. Its unheard of for an announcer (active or not) to have had that much success or any success or even attempt to be a jockey's agent at the same time he was actively an announcer. Two of the most grueling jobs at the track, and on so many different levels. These had to be over 12 hour days from the crack of dawn to sunset and a toll on your voice, body, mind and personal life. Then probably going home and a few more hours of homework and prepping for the next day and doing it all over again. I don't think you ever got the credit you deserved for that accomplishment.

Last edited by zappedbythevicar; 02-12-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:03 AM   #786
zappedbythevicar
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
They just closed a 75k epic thread and now this one, over 50k views, not sure why you close threads that people want to read but it's up to us to create content for the masses. Get to work if you want to run down the legend!!
great point about creating content! no wonder i haven't posted that much, it kinda feels like work! when is payday around here anyway ???
Old 02-12-2016, 02:48 AM   #787
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
great point about creating content! no wonder i haven't posted that much, it kinda feels like work! when is payday around here anyway ???
You get paid in respect. If I had a dime for every time head honcho here "PA" said thank you for being my best poster I'd have a lot of I'd have a lot of I'd have a lot of.....well, never mind, I'm still waiting for my first 'thanks for being an incredible poster' from the boss here. You know maybe you can one day, graduate to a higher post count so the boss will respect you, I know he took a poke at you for your lack of posts....he always compliments me on my post count, I get a lot of respect from a lot of respect from a lot of respect from....oh, nevermind, I get no respect for a lot of posts just like you get no respect for 15 posts, funny how no matter your post count, you'll get the occasional cheap shot thrown your way.

Payday around here is the satisfaction you get destroying 'experts' and 'trolls' on a regular basis, it's better than money.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:59 AM   #788
v j stauffer

Quote:
I for one am still amazed with that run you had with Rosario. Its unheard of for an announcer (active or not) to have had that much success or any success or even attempt to be a jockey's agent at the same time he was actively an announcer. Two of the most grueling jobs at the track, and on so many different levels. These had to be over 12 hour days from the crack of dawn to sunset and a toll on your voice, body, mind and personal life. Then probably going home and a few more hours of homework and prepping for the next day and doing it all over again. I don't think you ever got the credit you deserved for that accomplishment.
Thanks. It was tough. Made a lot of $$ but would never do it again. I was blessed with 3 great riders.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #789
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Anybody that pays attention to Andy regularly knew exactly what he was talking about and it wasn't that any rider was stiffing a horse.
What about those that don't?

(Chris Berman voice): Nobody circles the wagons like Andy Serling fans!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #790
GatetoWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
I didn't bet when I was a steward.

Since Hollywood Park closed there have been two announcing openings I REALLY wanted.

NYRA and Oaklawn.

I was very sure I was going to get NYRA about 10 days before they hired Larry. Evidently it was just wishful thinking. Needless to say they made an excellent hire as Mr. Collmus is an elite race caller.

The other job I greatly coveted was Oaklawn Park. A PERFECT fit for me. Great racing at a great venue in the spring. The real attraction of Oaklawn for me was they only race 3 months. At this point in my career that would be plenty.

They chose Peter Aiello and it's proven to be a good choice as he is doing an excellent job.

Oh well those two didn't go my way.

I did have some talks with Woodbine but really never had my heart into being away from San Fran for a long period unless it was NYRA. They too did GREAT with the naming of Robert Geller who has proven to be a perfect fit.

I did send a tape to Santa Anita because it is THE GREAT RACE PLACE. I knew there was zero chance they'd be interested in me but felt I should still show them the respect of inquiring. If I ran Santa Anita Vic Stauffer would be the last guy I'd consider.

I was the announcer 35 miles across town at their arch competitor Hollywood Park. We made a concerted effort to sound different than Santa Anita. To have our own brand and sound. There's no chance I'd consider a guy that worked for Pepsi when the job at Coke came open.

As for other opportunities. I have had some offers but still nothing that felt like just the right fit.

I also unfortunately have been battling some health issues recently that have shifted my focus somewhat.

I do think the right situation will eventually come up and when it does I'm looking forward to making some calls again. It sure sounds like fun.

As for you Man U I don't give a **** what you hope for me or think about me or anything else.

I'm going to continue to do what I've always done here on PA. Rejoice in our great sport. Trade jabs with fellow broken down horse players. Try to share a bit and teach what this game is all about inside the ropes. And try to pick a winner or two.

Trolls like you have never bothered me and NEVER will.

That's what makes you a hater and that suits me just fine.
Well said Vic!!!
Hope you get another shot too, I really miss your calls.
Be safe and hope your health improves
Old 02-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #791
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
What about those that don't?

(Chris Berman voice): Nobody circles the wagons like Andy Serling fans!
It's sad that the atmosphere needed to circle the wagons exists in the first place.

Tell me please, oh wise one. Why does Serling deserve ANY of the routine petty criticism we see here and elsewhere?

I can't for the life of me fathom how any player who has been around this game more than 10 minutes could find fault with the guy. It's obvious he knows his stuff...he never phones it in...he's a damn good handicapper...he admits when he's wrong (who else publicly wears the dunce cap?)...so why is he bashed on a regular basis not only here, but plenty of other places online over the years?

It's insanity. And if not insanity, then one of three things:

a) Ignorance
b) Jealousy
c) anti-New York values
Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #792
Tara73
Veteran

I miss Vic on TVG or was it HRTV? His analysis of the races using the Sheets was intriguing. I know he was on for a short period of time but he was refreshing.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #793
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
It's sad that the atmosphere needed to circle the wagons exists in the first place.

Tell me please, oh wise one. Why does Serling deserve ANY of the routine petty criticism we see here and elsewhere?

I can't for the life of me fathom how any player who has been around this game more than 10 minutes could find fault with the guy. It's obvious he knows his stuff...he never phones it in...he's a damn good handicapper...he admits when he's wrong (who else publicly wears the dunce cap?)...so why is he bashed on a regular basis not only here, but plenty of other places online over the years?

a) Ignorance
b) Jealousy
c) anti-New York values

Haven't you figured it out yet, P.A.? He's the easiest of targets. Everywhere in our society now days, the chronic complainers, gutless whiners, and "martyrs for the downtrodden"...all take the path of least resistance.

It takes ZERO cajones to bash Andy.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #794
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

a) Ignorance
b) Jealousy
c) anti-New York values
Andy is in a no win position. If he doesn't give out 2 horses that pay at least $15.00,then he is a bum. If he admits,he hasn't been going good,then he doesn't know anything. When he gives out a good play,he is expected to do so. The idea of listening to a Public Handicapper is to listen for information that might help you,not to follow his picks.What should you do if his 1st pick was 5-1 on ML and is bet to even money,while is 2nd pick in a competitive race is 7-1 . Information is the key in this game,not picks.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #795
Grits

But, Mike, of the three reasons you named?

The primary answer is JEALOUSY. Nameless keyboard peckers have a real problem with other men who are successful, particularly in a sport the follow closely. Malcontents are such...for a reason.
Closed Thread