Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
Valuist

3 YO crop

All of a sudden, it doesn't look subpar at all. Since we usually hear that comment mentioned during Derby week, I thought should be pointed out this crop definitely isn't weak. Usually there isn't nearly as many blowout wins as we've seen this year: Bellamy Road, Afleet Alex, Blues and Royals, Greeley's Galaxy, and for the most part, Bandini. The Derby winner figures to be one of those five but I wouldn't be shocked if the other four all ended up off the board, getting passed by plodders who are just hoping to get a check.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Its definitely not weak...I'd say an evenly matched group of pretty much average overall ability compared to the last several years. What we don't have this year is a long term absolute standout....though Alex does appear to be back.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
kenwoodallpromos

Crop

Yes some are winning by wide margins; Should make for a good derby audience. But the bad news is so many are falling by the wayside. I point to your listing of Blues and Royals as a prime example.
Seems to be legs, feet and lungs.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
Valuist

I do think the best prep, top to bottom, was definitely the Blue Grass.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The Blue Grass was a decent race. A very fast pace, so Bandini might come in a little overrated, but he was impressive nonetheless. The Ark Derby is not as good in my opinion. The pace was very, very slow. Greater Good could be a horse to put in the 3 and 4 slots in the Derby. He ran about 1 1/4 miles being very wide, and with his style, had no shot given that and the total lack of pace. I would still rate Bellamy Road's Wood as the best prep overall.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
Valuist

Definitely agree on BR. There is a possibility of a bounce, but he could still bounce and win. I do think Afleet Alex is a stronger bounce candidate, coming off a respiratory infection and a poor effort to a giant race. I think I may leave AA out of my tri tickets.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
TOOZ

Spanish Chestnut and Bandini have the exact same owners. You saw how Spanish Chestnut ran right to the front, making sure High Yield and Consolidator was not going to get the lead in that race. I don't believe in coincidences like that. Maybe Sun King is not as good as all the hype, but in my opinion Johhny V. gave one tremendous ride, definitely outrode Prado, because I believe Prado should have been where Johhny was.
TOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
frankfig

Zito- crybaby

Am i the only one that thinks Sun King wide or not was not going to be a factor in the Blue Grass ? Give me a break with Zito cryin after the race ! The horse didnt loose by 3 or 4 leghnts, he was beaten SOUNDLY by better horses. I guess if he saved ground he would have only lost by 6 or 7 ! Zito should be counting his blessings and quit cryin like a little school girl !
frankfig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Being wide wasn't a bad thing at all at Keeneland this weekend. I wouldn't go so far as to say the rail was bad, but most winners this weekend were well off the rail.

Hell, even Clock Stopper was able to win!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 04:13 PM   #10
Houndog

After looking over the charts for the Bluegrass and the Arkansas Derby I would have to agree with CJ that the pace for the Arkansas Derby was slow. That type of pace scenario will not happen in the Kentucky Derby. I thought Afleet Alex was pretty much the only real early speed in the race, and was kept close enough to really kick in.

The Bluegrass on the other hand had a really honest pace. The fractions I thought were quite good on a track that appeared to me to be a little on the slow side. I would contrast this to Aqueduct in which on Wood Memorial day the track was very fast. This is not to take anything away from the Wood Memorial winner as a 1:47 1/5 is a great time no matter what.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #11
michiken

Somehow Churchill always finds room to stuff 20 or so horses in the gate whether they are worthy or not. This is why the Derby can be a handicapper's nightmare or big payday - I hope the latter for all.

What do you think the pace scenario will be for this Derby? A front running/close to the pace victory or a traffic jam for closers to pass in the stretch?
michiken is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2005, 04:24 AM   #12
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

I don't find "blowout wins" evidence of a strong crop. I find them evidence of a weak crop. You have a couple decent 3YO blowing away their competition, how is that a strong crop?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:42 AM   #13
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

If you saw SUN KING stagger home in the Tampa Bay Derby after getting a lollypop trip then you aren't excited about his prospects going forward especially when they include going longer.

As to the big numbers being rolled in the recent prep races, there is always the bounce factor. Trainers with past success of getting a horse to move forward in the Derby preps and keep it moving forward on Derby Day are a key part of the equation now. Getting a horse to come back in three weeks and run another top while going another furlong is no easy task.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:59 AM   #14
DerbyTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
If you saw SUN KING stagger home in the Tampa Bay Derby after getting a lollypop trip then you aren't excited about his prospects going forward especially when they include going longer.

As to the big numbers being rolled in the recent prep races, there is always the bounce factor. Trainers with past success of getting a horse to move forward in the Derby preps and keep it moving forward on Derby Day are a key part of the equation now. Getting a horse to come back in three weeks and run another top while going another furlong is no easy task.
Derby winners generally DON'T run new tops. They pair up.
DerbyTrail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #15
Valuist

RRB-

I don't know if its a particularly strong group but I feel it isn't a weak one. I remember seeing some years where only one or two horses could hit a 105 Beyer going into the race. One things for sure: we haven't seen many 120s in preps.