Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Grits

Plugged in to all plugged in's variations.

My son and I went for a burger late this afternoon. We sat down, but first, had to move sideways to get past a toddler's high chair. Cute little girl, but no one was paying any attention to her. The child's mother looked no more than 16; the father, (I guess he was) maybe, the same. The grandparents looked to be in their forties. What amazed me is the four were looking at their phones, completely engrossed, paying no attention to the toddler. None.

Last night, we were having dinner out, and I noticed, as I often do, the number of people looking at their phones, or talking on them while sitting across from the person opposite them.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/12/3...ing-platforms/

Knowing how strong social media and its many platforms have become, this first paragraph in the article linked below flipped me out. I mean totally OUT. How does anyone live like this? Do people that live together in homes still have face to face conversations?

My housekeeper's phone pings constantly. She stops to check her twitter and facebook accounts. I think I need to tell her to kill her phone in my house. Or I'll kill it for her.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/...#disqus_thread

Quote:
Sometimes at night I reach over and pluck my phone from my nightstand, press a little blue icon, and suddenly the whole world is in bed with me, talking. This is deeply unhealthy, of course, for my sleep patterns, my mental well-being, my marriage. I rarely do it with forethought. One moment I’m half dreaming, and the next I am walking from room to room in the world’s largest never-ending cocktail party. The thing is, there is a conversation happening around all us right now, always, forever. And all we have to do to take part is summon it. It is the entire world babbling at once. The spiritus mundi in our pocket. And that’s powerfully hard to ignore.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
My housekeeper's phone pings constantly. She stops to check her twitter and facebook accounts. I think I need to tell her to kill her phone in my house. Or I'll kill it for her.
Tell her to turn her phone off or find another job. If it's an emergency they can call you.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
horses4courses

Very "plugged in" post.

In many ways, the use of hand held technology is out of control - especially when it comes to it's effects on others in society.

A walk along any reasonably busy sidewalk has become downright dangerous.
We all now, hopefully, have our own personal radar, which warns us of oncoming pedestrians who pay little or no attention to their surroundings - let alone another human being who may be approaching. This type of situation has come about in the past 5-10 years due to advances in technology, and it's ridiculous.

As far as restaurants go, any quality establishment should forbid the use of phones, or computer devices,
for all but the briefest of engagements.
An adjacent room (preferably soundproof) would be most welcome for more prolonged sessions.
Why should other diners be subjected to such behavior?

These are everyday situations that merely require common sense, and the slightest of regard for others.
The effects on, say, the toddler at the burger restaurant are far more complex and far-reaching.
I'm no behavioral expert, but I know enough to see that it's detrimental to human interaction.
What is more difficult to see is where will it all end.

Last edited by horses4courses; 02-16-2014 at 11:33 PM.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Tell her to turn her phone off or find another job. If it's an emergency they can call you.
TJD, I promise, I've terminated employees for less!

This one--the ping and the "I gotta go out, have a cigarette, and check my tweets, etc," is really starting to grind on me.

And get this, my housekeeper? She's 67. Plugged in to everything.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #5
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
... I promise, I've terminated employees for less!
And get this, my housekeeper? She's 67...
Well, Grits, there goes any chance of you firing her. She'll hit you with an age discrimination lawsuit and you'll wind working as her housekeeper!
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #6
CincyHorseplayer

I have a 23yr old daughter.When she's taking a nap needing to go to work and I hear the incoming signal I stick that thing in a drawer.

When we sit down to eat,all at the table=no phones!

Jesus I know I'm old at 41 when I remember that age being down by the river swimming,I didn't want to hear from anybody.That type of thing is apparently an anachronism!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
Well, Grits, there goes any chance of you firing her. She'll hit you with an age discrimination lawsuit and you'll wind working as her housekeeper!
Reckless, you're right...she'd own me. Still, the tweeting's gonna stop.

H4C, on the sidewalks and, too, in malls. I think, inside, in a mall its even worse. Its not something that's a constant concern for me because I don't like to shop, but phone gazing is, indeed, bad in the mall.

Restaurants, I need to completely give up on manners! There are no surprises anymore, apparently. I'm floored by people. Even friends. Last May, I was at a friend's home, out of state, for the Derby. Friday night after Oaks Day, we went to a great restaurant for dinner. She was continuously texting. Her husband called, he was out of town. He knew we were having dinner out. She told me, "I should take this one, its John". She went outside, talked for 20 minutes. I continued eating my dinner after waiting 5 minutes. I said to myself, "this won't happen again. Not ever."

Went out of town a few days ago. This particular afternoon I was with my brother, so he drove. Down the interstate we go, he's checking, scrolling through his messages. Ping, ping, ping. Finally, I told him, "put your phone up before we're hurt and don't take it out again until you stop this car." Wisely, he said, "I know, you're right. I'm bad about this." .... I've never seen anything like this need to be plugged in. Maybe its me, I cannot stand telephones, often, don't even answer my landline. I don't understand why people want to have one as an appendage. I don't understand that they feel they're so in demand, 24-7. An emergency is one thing, these folks are not experiencing those. Not at all.

The guy in the paragraph? He's pathetically addicted. As for manners and common sense, there is neither, anymore.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
RunForTheRoses

The ironic thing is I don't think people are more tied in together with these constant but vapid communications.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses
The ironic thing is I don't think people are more tied in together with these constant but vapid communications.
It's so true. Atlantic Magazine did a great article last year about how we're more "connected" than ever, yet much more lonely.

I've made a conscious effort to reduce online and phone time this year and have actually noticed a decrease in anxiety and an increase in doing things that are more beneficial to me (reading more, socializing more etc).
Old 02-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Clocker

From the quote in the OP:

Quote:
The thing is, there is a conversation happening around all us right now, always, forever. And all we have to do to take part is summon it. It is the entire world babbling at once.
The guy nailed it, whether he meant to or not:

Quote:
babble

1. to utter sounds or words imperfectly, indistinctly, or without meaning.

2. to talk idly, irrationally, excessively, or foolishly; chatter or prattle.

3. to utter in an incoherent, foolish, or meaningless fashion.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
BlueShoe

Boy, can I relate to this thread. Have an absolute hatred for these techy toys that serve as electronic leashes, and have utter contempt for those that are slaves to them. I do not Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, or text. Have come very close to getting in a brawl with some anal person over boorish cell phone use. That said, do have a cell phone, but only got it as a gift less than a year ago. It is a very basic phone linked to Consumer Cellular, 200 minutes a month for 15 bucks, usually do not come anywhere close to the max, have never gone over. The extra charge text feature was declined and is not operational. It is always used in a considerate, courteous manner, and is muted or turned off when it is desirable to do so. How I wish others would conduct themselves as I do.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
I do not Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, or text. Have come very close to getting in a brawl with some anal person over boorish cell phone use.
I don't use social media as I am a very private person. I only text to respond and in my own time. I would never phone or text in public and I expect the same courtesy from others. If someone is having a phone conversation that I can hear I'll usually try and include myself. You should try it sometimes, it's great fun.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Clocker

Quote:
If someone is having a phone conversation that I can hear I'll usually try and include myself.
Some times it is hard not to. I may be overly sensitive, or overly grumpy, about it, but it seems like people talking on cell phones in public talk louder than they normally would. It's like they are inconvenienced and annoyed by the ambient noise of the real world around them, and have to speak louder to compensate.

PS I'm guessing that the average age of the people posting in this thread is well north of 20-something.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
BlueShoe

Quote:
I would never phone or text in public and I expect the same courtesy from others.
Ditto, and that brings up something that has been a big problem, dating etiquette. Most of the members of this forum, and likely virtually all of the older ones, are married, thus cannot relate to this situation, but will try. Dating etiquette insists that while on a date your cell/smart phone is turned off. One does not make or take a call or text, your total attention is to be devoted to your companion. This applies to both men and women, although women tend to be the worst offenders.

As an older unmarried man not in a permanent relationship, have found that many unattached older women have not gotten this, and will chatter away on their phones or text while on a date. In effect, what you are stating to your date is that they are not interesting, that they are boring you, and that you would much rather talk/text to someone else. Have been told that I am behind times, that I should loosen up and be more tolerant, but darned if I will, good manners are never out of date. A bit surprising is that even young people in their 20's and 30's do not care for this rude behavior, even though they have grown up with these gadgets.

The rudest thing of all is to talk/text during a dinner date. Right in the middle of a nice conversation in a cozy restaurant her/his phone rings, and she/he answers it, and sits there chattering away for several minutes while you sit there fuming and glaring at her. A man I know that is far more socially active than I am deals with this situation in a blunt, direct way that I am seriously thinking of imitating. While she is talking on her phone he gets up from the table, walks out of restaurant, gets in his car, and goes home. The boorish date then is stuck with the dinner for two tab, and then must either call someone to come and get her or take a cab home, and gets a lesson in proper conduct.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
A man I know that is far more socially active than I am deals with this situation in a blunt, direct way that I am seriously thinking of imitating. While she is talking on her phone he gets up from the table, walks out of restaurant, gets in his car, and goes home.
That is sinking to her level. I would finish my dinner while she is talking, call for the check without letting her finish, and take her home. Tell her you have some important phone calls to make.