Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: Charge Her/Jail Her
Yes 3 10.71%
No 25 89.29%
Voters: 28. This poll is closed

Old 07-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Jail Her? Or Not?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...-alone/374436/

"Working Mom Arrested for Letting Her 9-Year-Old Play Alone at Park
A South Carolina woman thought it was better than forcing her kid to sit at McDonald's all day. Now the state has taken custody.

Debra Harrell works at McDonald's...

For most of the summer, her daughter had stayed there with her, playing on a laptop that Harrell had scrounged up the money to purchase. (McDonald's has free WiFi.) Sadly, the Harrell home was robbed and the laptop stolen, so the girl asked her mother if she could be dropped off at the park to play instead.

Harrell said yes. She gave her daughter a cell phone. The girl went to the park—a place so popular that at any given time there are about 40 kids frolicking—two days in a row. There were swings, a "splash pad," and shade. On her third day at the park, an adult asked the girl where her mother was. At work, the daughter replied. The shocked adult called the cops. Authorities declared the girl "abandoned" and proceeded to arrest the mother."

Please read the entire article........interesting stuff..........

Last edited by JustRalph; 07-16-2014 at 03:21 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

Not to go off course, but the first line of the article struck me as odd, as though the author had more to say but had to compromise.

On course - this shit is ridiculous and people really ought to finally revolt against this absurd extension of the "what about the children" mentality if the facts as presented are an accurate and complete representation.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
tucker6

when I was growing up and was that age, my mom told us to go outside and not come back unless it started to storm. She had her soaps to watch.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It really disappoints me to see what has happened to the child rearing process in the past 20-30 years...these so-called "improvements" certainly have not resulted in any measurable PROGRESS, has it?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-16-2014 at 03:56 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

9 year olds out on their own?
Duh....of course.

What the authorities should be doing here is protecting the friggin park.
Or heading to Texas to do something about the 80,000 unattended kids crossing the border.

This country is freaking nuts.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
kingfin66
Bombardier

It is ridiculous. 9 yo kids can walk home from school alone, but cannot play in a park? It is absurd. The world has changed since I was a kid, but I think the key is to provide kids with instruction on how to avoid, evade, and otherwise react to danger.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
tucker6

I've seen 8 and 9 year old Amish boys pulling eight horse plow teams up and down the fields all day. I guess they can "mistreat" their children on religious grounds? Our society really does suck these days. The mother was doing the best she could under trying circumstances. Rather than subjecting her and her child to this inquisition, why can't someone help them instead? I'm not talking govt assistance, but one or more of the other mothers.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
tucker6

I see someone voted yes and slinked away without comment. Figures. The lot of them are gutless.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
It is ridiculous. 9 yo kids can walk home from school alone, but cannot play in a park? It is absurd. The world has changed since I was a kid, but I think the key is to provide kids with instruction on how to avoid, evade, and otherwise react to danger.
A lot of parents (dare I say most, at least here in the NY Metro area), will NOT allow their 9yo to walk home alone from school. I'm not even certain if they even have the authority to make that decision any longer...but I'll look into that...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-16-2014 at 04:07 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

When I was 4, I was going downtown on my own.
I used to but cigarettes off the 3 year olds on the corner.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
cj's dad

Ridiculous- when I was 9 we played ball all day in Patterson Park which was 4 city blocks from home.never any issue. Just had to be home for dinner at 5 or so but definitely before the old man got home.

cj and his younger brother spent half their childhoods playing at the ball field a block away- no parents in sight.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
NJ Stinks

My kindergarten school was about a mile away. The walk included going through the "downtown" area of town. My buddy (and classmate) and I walked it each way most days.

I don't remember Mom looking relieved when I got home.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #13
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
A lot of parents (dare I say most, at least here in the NY Metro area), will NOT allow their 9yo to walk home alone from school. I'm not even certain if they even have the authority to make that decision any longer...but I'll look into that...
Ya, I suppose things are different in different parts of the country. In my area, a master planned community, it is normal. I can see how it would be different in urban areas.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I don't remember Mom looking relieved when I got home.
You have no idea how much restraint I just showed.......
Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
Johnny V

I voted no but the question I think we should be asking ourselves is would you drop off your child or grandchild to play in a park all alone for the entire day? I think not for the most part.
Going back to when I was a child and comparing it to today is not the same. We were out all day playing by ourselves and I grew up in a very tough urban environment. But we were hardly ever by ourselves, there were plenty of kids playing together in the streets, stickball, other games and plenty of fights among ourselves. Safety in numbers I guess. The difference was there were lots of woman and men around, sitting on stoops, strangers for the most part, but part of the neighborhood. These were for the most part WWII vets, tough men and woman who grew up in the depression and they kind of looked out for us in some way. No one was going to try and molest a kid without getting their head kicked in. Those days are gone. Todays playing environment is much different for most children.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply