Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-12-2023, 10:28 PM   #1
thespaah

My CDI rant

https://rosiesgaming.com/press-room/...ng-leadership/

So, the oft criticized Churchill Downs Incorporated as purchased the assets of Peninsula Pacific Entertainment. Parent company of Colonial Downs in New Kent, VA.
With CDI's record of essentially being a track killer, ( Arlington Park, Hollywood e.g.) I am concerned about the future of Colonial Downs as a racing facility.
In 2022, CNL scheduled its racing days for mid week. Tuesday thru Thursday. IMO this was a brilliant move because this helped CNL avoid competing with NY, KY, and CA for betting dollars. As a result, CNL had very good handle numbers.
So...what does CDI do? Shift the schedule back to Thursday thru Saturday.
I fail to see the logic. Why go up against a superior opponent when that can be avoided? I believe this can be found in Sun Tsu's Art of War...If an enemy is superior , evade him.
“If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him."
Dunno.
I just think CDI is not a good steward of the game. Often, publicly traded companies sacrifice the consumers of their product to please the shareholders.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2023, 10:41 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

CDI has incentive to race as much as possible. In this one case, Colonial should prosper .
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2023, 10:41 PM   #3
garyscpa

I thought the important part of the deal was supposed to be that the more races they ran, the more slot machines they could operate.
garyscpa is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2023, 05:30 AM   #4
HottalkersinKY

Didn.t they move the arlington million race to colonial this year
instead of having it at churchill
HottalkersinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2023, 08:22 AM   #5
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
https://rosiesgaming.com/press-room/...ng-leadership/

With CDI's record of essentially being a track killer, ( Arlington Park, Hollywood e.g.) I am concerned about the future of Colonial Downs as a racing facility.
In 2022, CNL scheduled its racing days for mid week. Tuesday thru Thursday. IMO this was a brilliant move because this helped CNL avoid competing with NY, KY, and CA for betting dollars. As a result, CNL had very good handle numbers.
So...what does CDI do? Shift the schedule back to Thursday thru Saturday.
I fail to see the logic. Why go up against a superior opponent when that can be avoided?
To be fair to CDI, at the meeting(s) when dates were being discussed/awarded, the Virginia Racing Commission was pushing them to run on the weekends, believing it to be more "family-friendly" in a (misguided?) focus on live attendance over total handle.

And as noted elsewhere, they have incentive to run more days. State regulations require one racing day for every 100 machines with a current maximum of 5000 machines. The expectation is that Colonial will be running a 50 day season in the near future.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2023, 03:17 PM   #6
AskinHaskin

Quote:
I fail to see the logic. Why go up against a superior opponent when that can be avoided? I believe this can be found in Sun Tsu's Art of War...If an enemy is superior , evade him.
“If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him."

By your strange logic, it seems Red Bullet should have opted for some $5000 claimer at Suffolk Downs on the third Saturday in May.

Of course you mention nothing about revenue from handle, which is all that matters in this case.

You also fail to recognize that the parent company that is Churchill Downs has numerous other theatres which receive simulcast signals, and it is in their best interest to be able to control some of the signals being sent.

(the simulcast revenue split doesn't matter so much when you're both the sender and the receiver)
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2023, 11:37 PM   #7
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottalkersinKY View Post
Didn.t they move the arlington million race to colonial this year
instead of having it at churchill
Yes. Along with the Secretariat ( One mile T for 3yo) and The Beverly D( 1 3/16th miles for F&M)
July 12th.
We( The Mrs and I) are giving strong consideration for going .
Old 06-14-2023, 11:46 PM   #8
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
By your strange logic, it seems Red Bullet should have opted for some $5000 claimer at Suffolk Downs on the third Saturday in May.

Of course you mention nothing about revenue from handle, which is all that matters in this case.

You also fail to recognize that the parent company that is Churchill Downs has numerous other theatres which receive simulcast signals, and it is in their best interest to be able to control some of the signals being sent.

(the simulcast revenue split doesn't matter so much when you're both the sender and the receiver)
Notwithstanding your straw man argument( the Suffolk thingy) which I dismiss out of hand.....CNL had a very successful meeting with its best handle numbers in its short history. The Mid Week schedule provided bettors with a good alternative to mid level tracks that also are live mid week. Yes, on Weds and Thursday CNL went up against SAR.
Now, this thing you bring up regarding revenue vs handle....Please explain in your own words how these two things are mutually exclusive.
And, WHY would I mention this in the first place? I failed at nothing.
Be careful in your tone. Don't make this personal.
Based on its actions, I'm not a big fan of CDI. Apparently you are.
I'll give CDI a chance to not adversely affect Colonial.
Leave it at that. I'm not here to argue over minutiae
Old 06-15-2023, 12:00 AM   #9
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
To be fair to CDI, at the meeting(s) when dates were being discussed/awarded, the Virginia Racing Commission was pushing them to run on the weekends, believing it to be more "family-friendly" in a (misguided?) focus on live attendance over total handle.

And as noted elsewhere, they have incentive to run more days. State regulations require one racing day for every 100 machines with a current maximum of 5000 machines. The expectation is that Colonial will be running a 50 day season in the near future.
Ive been to CNL. Under the operating name "Rosie's Gaming, there are a fair number of electronic gaming machines. In fact the entire lower level of the building is dedicated to electronic gaming.
To accommodate 5000 machines, the facility would have to be expanded dramatically. If CDI is committed to the success of this place, and I hope for this, perhaps my negative view of the company will change. After what CDI did with Arlington and Hollywood, I think my skepticism is warranted.
I hope the Colonial calendar gets expanded beyond the 2023 calendar of 27 race dates. 2022 saw 21 live race dates. Also, the gaming revenue is assisting in boosting purses. 2022 saw an average daily purse payout of $500,000.
According to Condition Book 1, opening day ,July 13th consists of 9 races with a total purse payout of $538,000. There is no stakes race scheduled that day.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:05 AM   #10
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
CDI has incentive to race as much as possible. In this one case, Colonial should prosper .
I sincerely hope so. CNL is one of my favorite race tracks. Its a nice place. Well kept. Friendly staff. Racing is good. Fields are good sized. Lots of good barns send horses there. Lots of turf racing.
And, the VA Sired/ Bred program is excellent for VA horsemen, breeders and owners.
If I read the info in the condition book correctly. VA Sired or Bred horses that run in open races, are eligible or a 50% purse enhancement .
That's a great way to support the VA breeding and racing industry.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:36 AM   #11
BarchCapper

Quote:
Ive been to CNL. Under the operating name "Rosie's Gaming, there are a fair number of electronic gaming machines. In fact the entire lower level of the building is dedicated to electronic gaming.
To accommodate 5000 machines, the facility would have to be expanded dramatically. If CDI is committed to the success of this place, and I hope for this, perhaps my negative view of the company will change. After what CDI did with Arlington and Hollywood, I think my skepticism is warranted.
I hope the Colonial calendar gets expanded beyond the 2023 calendar of 27 race dates. 2022 saw 21 live race dates. Also, the gaming revenue is assisting in boosting purses. 2022 saw an average daily purse payout of $500,000.
According to Condition Book 1, opening day ,July 13th consists of 9 races with a total purse payout of $538,000. There is no stakes race scheduled that day.
The machines making up the 5000 total are not just to be located at CNL, but include those at the Rosie's parlors around the state (currently 5 others, more in the works).
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #12
DanBoals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post

I can kind of see how this would make sense to the politicians.

I wonder if maybe they could split the difference and run Sat thru Tues instead of Thurs thru Sun...
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote Reply