Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #91
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Woodward meaningless?
So I guess the only race that matters is the BC Classic?
It has the same meaning as the Wood Memorial, which also has a big purse. It is a prep.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #92
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
First, the Woodward is meaningless. It is a prep for the BC. Other than Rachel, when's the last time a Woodward decided an Eclipse Award?

And you are ignoring that the field was crappy and small (like many prep races).
Seriously? Check out some of the winners of the Woodward in recent times. Havre de Grace, Rachel, Curlin, Lawyer Ron, St. Liam, Ghostzapper, Mineshaft, Lemon Drop Kid. All winners of the Woodward since 2000, all of them Eclipse Award winners. SIX of them went on to be Horse of the Year.

Meaningless couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #93
Irish Boy
Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Woodward meaningless?
So I guess the only race that matters is the BC Classic?
By your own logic with respect to the Jim Dandy, the Woodward should be an ungraded allowance.
Irish Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #94
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
Asterick * lol that's like the asterisk for roger Maris in 1962. Fact is that zenyatta remains the only female BC classic winner. Heck Rachel ducked three shots at running in the BC.

Rachel beat macho again, zenyatta beat gio Ponti.

Rachel barely held on. Zenyatta won going away.

Allan
Every one of the top dirt males were put at the disadvantage of having to run on a surface that favors turf runners.

It's too bad that we never saw Zenyatta on turf because her running style and ability to close into snail paces on synthetics made her look like a natural on turf. In any event, the unfortunate synthetic experiment resulted in one synthetic superhorse and her name was Zenyatta. She was also good on dirt - I'm not taking that away from her - but clearly she was this country's #1 ranked and far superior synthetic horse. The turf horses that she beat showed no indication that they were better on synthetics than turf, so even those horses likely weren't running on their preferred surface either.

Let's see, Rachel raced in and won the Oaks, Preakness, Acorn, Haskell, then Woodward, all within 4 months. And you wouldn't think it forgivable that the 3yo filly might've gotten a little tired at the end of the Woodward?

Last edited by Fager Fan; 07-27-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #95
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
Seriously? Check out some of the winners of the Woodward in recent times. Havre de Grace, Rachel, Curlin, Lawyer Ron, St. Liam, Ghostzapper, Mineshaft, Lemon Drop Kid. All winners of the Woodward since 2000, all of them Eclipse Award winners. SIX of them went on to be Horse of the Year.

Meaningless couldn't be further from the truth.
Havre de Grace is not a comparison you want to make.

She, just like Rachel, won the Woodward.

She then got her BUTT handed to her in the BC Classic.

Kinda shows you which one is the tougher race.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #96
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:

She finished 4th by 3 lengths. I've seen far worse butt-whippings. But her example is the perfect one, showing how that meaningless prep meant enough that she won HOY despite losing the Classic.

A lot of other very nice horses have lost the Classic. Including Eclipse winners.

A reasonable person sees the extraordinary achievement by Rachel when she beat older males in the Woodward.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #97
castaway01

Quote:

After your point---that the Woodward is meaningless---was refuted and crushed for the illogical, biased garbage that it is, maybe you should just slink off and be quiet for a while rather than point out that Havre de Grace didn't win the BC Classic as the next building block of your argument.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #98
Rex Phinney

LOL a thread about California Chrome and the Pennsylvania Derby turned into a discussion about the Woodward. One guy thinks it doesn't matter and all the east coast homers think it's the biggest race in the universe.

Jesus Christ some of you guys need a long look in the mirror.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #99
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
LOL a thread about California Chrome and the Pennsylvania Derby turned into a discussion about the Woodward. One guy thinks it doesn't matter and all the east coast homers think it's the biggest race in the universe.

Jesus Christ some of you guys need a long look in the mirror.
What are we supposed to say about California Chrome that wasn't said already? The horse has to actually be entered the race before we can really talk more about it, doesn't it? It's still two months away.

Jesus Christ Rex, take the stick out of your...well, wherever guys like you put the stick.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #100
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
First, the Woodward is meaningless. It is a prep for the BC. Other than Rachel, when's the last time a Woodward decided an Eclipse Award?
The Woodward wasn't meaningless when Holy Bull won it. And I'm pretty sure that race clinched his Eclipse Award, as he did not run in the BC.

Holy Bull's Woodward was one of the greatest tour de force races I have ever personally witnessed live. The field he beat that day was pretty damn impressive, wouldn't you say?

Then again, those were the days when the Woodward was run at Belmont...which I assume you would interpret as making it even LESS important because it wasn't run at Saratoga...

When's the last time a non BC race in California CLINCHED an Eclipse Award of any importance?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-28-2014 at 10:06 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #101
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
When's the last time a non BC race in California CLINCHED an Eclipse Award of any importance?
I guess whichever field of tomato cans Zenyatta beat in her last start before losing to Blame.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #102
horses4courses

California

Another big east coast purse goes to a Cal-trained horse yesterday.
Been more than usual this year.

It's great out here.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #103
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
The Woodward wasn't meaningless when Holy Bull won it. And I'm pretty sure that race clinched his Eclipse Award, as he did not run in the BC.

Holy Bull's Woodward was one of the greatest tour de force races I have ever personally witnessed live. The field he beat that day was pretty damn impressive, wouldn't you say?

Then again, those were the days when the Woodward was run at Belmont...which I assume you would interpret as making it even LESS important because it wasn't run at Saratoga...

The Bull was one of my favorite horses ever, but the older horses of 1994 were a weak bunch. 3yos ran 1-2-3-4 in the classic if I recall correctly.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #104
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
The Bull was one of my favorite horses ever, but the older horses of 1994 were a weak bunch. 3yos ran 1-2-3-4 in the classic if I recall correctly.
Devil His Due ran second. Funny how times change. I loved the Devil but he was "nice" at the time, not fantastic. But look at his record now and tell me what we'd say today about a hard-knocking winner of almost $4m (with no big payday races in there) with all these graded wins and placings. He makes a lot of today's horses look like lightweights.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...405&registry=T
Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #105
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
After your point---that the Woodward is meaningless---was refuted and crushed for the illogical, biased garbage that it is, maybe you should just slink off and be quiet for a while rather than point out that Havre de Grace didn't win the BC Classic as the next building block of your argument.
The Woodward is meaningless because it doesn't decide divisional championships. It is a prep for a race that does.

Saying "look at the nice horses who won it" isn't a response to that, because of course the New York BC preps will be won by nice horses. Nice horses like Mucho Macho Man and Game On Dude and Pleasantly Perfect win the Santa Anita prep race too
It's still a prep and it still draws a crappy field compared to the BC Classic.