Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-23-2023, 07:13 PM   #1
Al Gobbi

Angel Castillo at Parx

two very questionable rides today at Parx (Races 6 & 10)

video available on Twitter and YouTube if interested
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 07:23 PM   #2
the little guy

That's the way he rides. Watch his win in the 11th.

Let me guess, Twitter is abuzz with paranoia?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 07:27 PM   #3
castaway01

You know, I usually think these posts are silly, but if I had bet on Castillo's horses in the 6th and 10th I would have thought I had the winner in each race. To see Castillo not urge the horses and just give way late would have frustrated me too. In the 6th, maybe you could argue he didn't see the 3 horse coming?

As Andy points out, maybe the 11th is the best vindication for Castillo, as he completes a huge stretch rally to win on a big longshot with a few taps of the whip. Maybe it is his style?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2023, 08:48 PM   #4
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
You know, I usually think these posts are silly, but if I had bet on Castillo's horses in the 6th and 10th I would have thought I had the winner in each race. To see Castillo not urge the horses and just give way late would have frustrated me too. In the 6th, maybe you could argue he didn't see the 3 horse coming?

As Andy points out, maybe the 11th is the best vindication for Castillo, as he completes a huge stretch rally to win on a big longshot with a few taps of the whip. Maybe it is his style?
Honestly, I think he's weak. I've never seen him ride before, and I watched a few other races today, and I can see why it's not a great look, but he always seems to ride like that.

Strange.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:34 PM   #5
v j stauffer

He looks like a fly on an elephant.

Clearly his philosophy is less is more.

Just because a jock looks at the competition doesn't mean he's not trying to win.

He better sell his wares to horsemen with results because he's not going to get any business because of the way he looks, finishes or his seat.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:45 PM   #6
the little guy

One of the horses mentioned that he is riding is gigantic. That's part of the problem in how it appears.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:47 AM   #7
FRMNBRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Honestly, I think he's weak. I've never seen him ride before, and I watched a few other races today, and I can see why it's not a great look, but he always seems to ride like that.

Strange.
I have to agree that ride seems questionable and that is no disrespect to Vic S. because obviously he knows better than most. IMO it looked like he waited and waited and towards the end he started to push the horse a bit and give him a whip. It didn't appear that he thought he was loaded with tons of horse underneath him because as soon as he saw the rivals coming he started riding. What was his reason for looking over at the horse to his outside at 1:15 of that video?? I dont't think he was looking because he wanted to come inside. Someone explain that to me please.
FRMNBRI is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2023, 04:18 AM   #8
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
One of the horses mentioned that he is riding is gigantic. That's part of the problem in how it appears.
Exactly right.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:27 AM   #9
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRMNBRI View Post
I have to agree that ride seems questionable and that is no disrespect to Vic S. because obviously he knows better than most. IMO it looked like he waited and waited and towards the end he started to push the horse a bit and give him a whip. It didn't appear that he thought he was loaded with tons of horse underneath him because as soon as he saw the rivals coming he started riding. What was his reason for looking over at the horse to his outside at 1:15 of that video?? I dont't think he was looking because he wanted to come inside. Someone explain that to me please.
I don't think he thought he was loaded. I think he isn't really capable of getting down on his belly and going ballistic. To me he gave a feel not being able to urge harder and maintain a secure seat.

A guy who sits that bad is going to stick out. Especially on a huge horse which he was on in one of the examples.

Some of the really shaky ones would prefer to never really get after one. It messes with center of gravity which can get you dropped if a horse shifts even slightly.

You guys are FOR SURE seeing something. But IMO not a guy cheating. Just a jock who's not very good at all.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:29 AM   #10
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Maybe the trainer 'asked' him to save a condition for later.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2023, 08:35 AM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

I agree with TLG and Vic on this one.

His standard way of riding Is such that he's never persevering or pumping or using much strength. I cannot guarantee that his rides were all honest. Even though he won with a long shot in the11th race and he had a PRETTY GOOD day overall as far as trips and contenders ( ? Maybe some of these jockeys could learn a thing or 2 from being an efficient passenger at least for the part of the race with that is the most helpful ? ), That doesn't mean he didn't cheat his ass off In every possible situation otherwise , But it means there is 0 evidence of that. I seriously doubt he's a mastermind who intentionally rides like a child in the stretch it all times, so that is difficult to catch him when he wants to be nefarious in occasional opportunities.... That is ridiculous.

If pitcher sniles at all times like The Joker �� it doesn't mean he should have his skull bashed in when he 'beans' a batter.

He's also had a past violation or 2 from failure to persevere For a placing.
Twitter Claims that these are violation A past "race fixing". But I am even less interested in digging than Castillo in preservering.
Likely the same case Happened in that suspension.

I don't know what to say. I don't know what the hell to say.

Decent management or stewards or Jockey agent Would force the guy To do a better job at signaling to the betting public that he's trying.

I don't wanna recommend that somebody loses their livelyhood.
There's no way he should be riding At any decent circuit Given that he can't Ride to away That portrait is effort And they gambling game that we requires Confidence from the bedding publicpublic

Holy FK!!! fk Disposed was the most this post was an arduous Strenuous Waste of time. Voice to text on this tablet is so poor It made so many corrections. What a frustrating and disgusting way to try to start out a day. I think I will stick to the tiny free cell phone When making message board post in the future I've given this enough try I'll frustrating can you get

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-24-2023 at 08:44 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2023, 08:44 AM   #12
Andy Asaro

I'm not big on how they do things in other countries but in the case of rides I really believe there should be more scrutiny on the Jockeys and the efforts they put into riding different races. They should be interviewed on questionable rides and their comments should be made public. For example, sometimes a suspicious ride could be that the Jockey felt the horse was all out and was worried about injury. If that's the case put it on the record. In other cases where a Jockey does not put a need the lead type on the lead without any bad break or stumble then they should be interviewed and the comments should be made public.

Stewards are too concerned with virtually irrelevant whip strikes when other things going on are more important. It would go a long way toward building confidence in the game if they were a little more like the rest of the world when it comes to race rides IMO.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2023, 10:26 AM   #13
the little guy

Once again, all you have to do is take a few minutes and watch a number of his rides. This is how he rides. I wouldn't ride him if I was an owner but clearly others disagree.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #14
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

For all of the talk of his riding deficiencies, and I can add a few things that haven't yet been mentioned, he still has managed about a 15% career win rate although he doesn't ride a lot, averaging about half the mounts of the most active jockeys . I suspect one of the trainers he rides most frequently is a relative. Hard to say as there is no shortage of horsemen named Castillo.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2023, 04:34 PM   #15
FRMNBRI

Did anyone have the horse in todays 8th race at Parx???. I did. He was my stone cold single of the day. LOL.. Honestly I think he was my first or second horse I tossed out immediately when taking a shot at the philly 5 today.

Last edited by FRMNBRI; 01-24-2023 at 04:35 PM.
FRMNBRI is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: