Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #31
chrisl

I was Cement Mason's union for many years. They were lowering are pay scale all the time. We were being paid at roughly 80% scale in order to compete on projects. My dues and payments to them, never went down. Last project was at 68% scale. I left the union, and never have been back. Best thing I did. Gangsters at best.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2022, 09:00 PM   #32
jimmyb

The railroad cos net 27 Billion. They've cut 30 percent of the workforce. Workers don't get sick pay and are penalized if they do take a day. Workers want sick time, companies say no. That was what held things up. Biden forces workers to accept the railroads terms, still no sick time. Fuck Biden.

Our transportation czar took months of leave time after less than a year on the job. Fuck Mayor Pete.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2022, 09:26 PM   #33
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
The railroad cos net 27 Billion. They've cut 30 percent of the workforce. Workers don't get sick pay and are penalized if they do take a day. Workers want sick time, companies say no. That was what held things up. Biden forces workers to accept the railroads terms, still no sick time. Fuck Biden.

Our transportation czar took months of leave time after less than a year on the job. Fuck Mayor Pete.
union wanted 14 days paid sick whenever - they were offered 7 days

Mayor Pete took maternity leave
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2022, 09:28 PM   #34
CaptainObvious

They have 0, they wanted 7.
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #35
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
They have 0, they wanted 7.
offered 7, those 3 unions saying no wanted 14
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2022, 09:56 PM   #36
CaptainObvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
offered 7, those 3 unions saying no wanted 14
They have 0, they want 7.
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2022, 10:49 PM   #37
BIG RED
Son O'War

Don't forget Mayor Walsh?
Old 12-01-2022, 10:52 PM   #38
Inner Dirt

It has been a while since I didn't work for myself but 6 sick days a year was the standard for medium sized non union companies for hourly workers. What hourly rate are these guys getting ?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #39
chrisl

I completely agree for a worker to shoot for the moon and get all you can. No bitching if it back fires on you. I negotiate my salary package at the start of every project.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #40
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
It has been a while since I didn't work for myself but 6 sick days a year was the standard for medium sized non union companies for hourly workers. What hourly rate are these guys getting ?
I listen to a radio host who devoted a lot of time to the RR strike. He stated that an entry level #1 worker is avg 130k a year. Did not state there avg weekly hours. That will go up immediately 14%, next year another 10%.
Actually IMO not to shabby. With what is going on in the country, inflation. possible recession looming. Pretty good deal.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:27 PM   #41
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
I listen to a radio host who devoted a lot of time to the RR strike. He stated that an entry level #1 worker is avg 130k a year. Did not state there avg weekly hours. That will go up immediately 14%, next year another 10%.
Actually IMO not to shabby. With what is going on in the country, inflation. possible recession looming. Pretty good deal.

Are all the railroad workers under the same union and pay rates whether they are on a train, in a yard or doing track maintenance? Anyone know what a yard goat is without looking it up, it is railway related. The AA league the local Richmond team is in has a Hartford Yard Goats in it. I had to look it up, I thought it was a made up name.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #42
jimmyb

An industry that paid 196 billion over a 10 year period in stock dividends and buybacks can afford 5 sick days. Warren Buffett is supposed to be the great philanthropist. He can certainly afford his railroad workers these 5 days.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:16 PM   #43
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
An industry that paid 196 billion over a 10 year period in stock dividends and buybacks can afford 5 sick days. Warren Buffett is supposed to be the great philanthropist. He can certainly afford his railroad workers these 5 days.

What is the whole story? If an entry level #1 worker makes $130k a year, if that is gross cash, could be during negotiations the workers opted for a higher hourly rate in lieu of some benefits.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #44
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
What is the whole story? If an entry level #1 worker makes $130k a year, if that is gross cash, could be during negotiations the workers opted for a higher hourly rate in lieu of some benefits.
The holdup was the sick days. Biden basically jumped in so the RR's agreed to one personal day. Not sure of the pay structure but it couldn't be that great across the board if the RR's agreed to a 24% raise increases by 2024 and a $1000 bonus for signing the contract. RR's have also slashed 30% of the workforce while generating billions in profits. RR's also agreed to freeze health care costs.

The Union Pacific alone is valued at 105 billion and Warren Buffets BNSF is worth 60 billion. Then we have the other 10 RR's who's combined value is who knows.