Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #16
classhandicapper

So is he some kind of freak or he is a very good horse that will be tested a bit more in his stakes debut?
Old 12-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
So is he some kind of freak or he is a very good horse that will be tested a bit more in his stakes debut?
I never get too excited about this kind, horses with freakish talent that can't seem to race very often. Even if he wins in a romp, I'd be shocked if we see him race more than 4 times next year.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #18
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I never get too excited about this kind, horses with freakish talent that can't seem to race very often. Even if he wins in a romp, I'd be shocked if we see him race more than 4 times next year.
Right now, he's on course to be the next Army Mule. I hope we're wrong, but it's hard to be optimistic.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #19
classhandicapper

Quote:
If he wins impressively Sunday he'll be a Grade 1 winner. That will give them less of an incentive to bring him back if he should have some minor issue that sets him back just a few months.

I want to see what this horse is made of. I'm hoping that someone gets aggressive and tries to run with him. Normally, that might be suicidal, but this horses is off a layoff, clearly has soundness issues, and has never been tested. There has to be some chance he cracks if pressed hard.

I'm not sure if Dr. Schivel has enough speed, but he stayed relatively close to Jackie's Warrior and Special Reserve. Those two are very fast. So maybe he can put some real heat on at some point.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #20
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I'm hoping that someone gets aggressive and tries to run with him. Normally, that might be suicidal, but this horses is off a layoff, clearly has soundness issues, and has never been tested. There has to be some chance he cracks if pressed hard.
Never raced without Lasix (whereas the similarly profiled Triple Tap has never raced with it).

Have to think Baby Yoda will be gunning from the gate (although he's not particularly quick from the gate) with the rail draw and getting shuffled back early in his last pair. Only weapon he seems to have at this point is his early speed.

Joke of a race, which once was one of the greatest betting races on the calendar. Always had a full field made up of top sprinters, a couple of second-tier route horses cutting back, a couple of Triple Crown trail comebackers, a couple of decent Cal-breds, a couple of late-starting types, and maybe even a turf horse.

Now even with this barely-beyond-team-workout field of 7 horses, we have to worry about either Flightline or Triple Tap (supposedly the 2 most talented horses in there) scratching out since they share common ownership. Stud deals will be compromised if something gets exposed...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #21
taxicab

The Malibu feels chalky.
It looks to be one or the other.
Flightline just glides over the track,he'll be tough.
FL really reminds me of the former Sadler runner Catalina Cruiser.
Dr. Schivel is a tough as nails class act.......still can't believe he lost the BC Sprint the way he did(that one cost me plenty).
The other contenders don't do anything for me.
Baby Yoda: Didn't like anything about his last race.......not drawn well either,the rail going 7F @ SA is a disadvantage.
Triple Tap: talented for sure,but had such a good setup last time.......don't like to play those types back.
FWIW:
Baffert has a late starting 3yo debuting the 4th Sunday(Shaaz)that looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger did in Pumping Iron.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2021, 11:21 PM   #22
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

Now even with this barely-beyond-team-workout field of 7 horses, we have to worry about either Flightline or Triple Tap (supposedly the 2 most talented horses in there) scratching out since they share common ownership. Stud deals will be compromised if something gets exposed...
I’d be against Triple Tap if he wasn’t trained by Baffert. I thought he got a good setup last time. IMO, that race was not as good as it looks, but with Baffert he’s eligible to take a step forward. So I’m less anxious to key against him in the exotics. I want nothing to do with him though.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 12-23-2021 at 11:23 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #23
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
FWIW:
Baffert has a late starting 3yo debuting the 4th Sunday(Shaaz)that looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger did in Pumping Iron.
yea, Shaaz worked wider in company with Triple Tap. Did more running and impressed that he kept up.

Malibu - Showcase for Flightline. Does he break, and run to form? Wow.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #24
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
Wow - some high profile first time starters in there: $1.1 million purchase Shaaz, $900K Hopkins (also trained by Baffert), and Beholder's first foal Q B One (out of Uncle Mo).
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #25
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan View Post
Wow - some high profile first time starters in there: $1.1 million purchase Shaaz, $900K Hopkins (also trained by Baffert), and Beholder's first foal Q B One (out of Uncle Mo).
That's one of the most interesting races on the card.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #26
outofthebox

Quote:
Normally i would agree..But in this case modern tech handicapping has kept this horse from racing to much, not physical issues. Sadler is big sheets guy and letting the numbers dictate the schedule. I believe after this race he will stretch out and look for the important distance races and hopefully a successful solid campaign...
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #27
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan View Post
I agree. I am more interested in the 4th than the Malibu. I hope the track is at least semi decent with all the rain.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #28
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Only took one race for me to be done with SA.
R2, Doug "Better living Through Chemistry" O'Neil scores with garbage.
Typical.
Old 12-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #29
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Only took one race for me to be done with SA.
R2, Doug "Better living Through Chemistry" O'Neil scores with garbage.
Typical.
Why was that horse garbage?

Only had 2 lengths to find on the odds-on favorite in there last meeting (a drubbing by the ML favorite for a Grade 1 later on the card). Last race was a toss going 2-turns. Had only one pace rival (who had been running at lower levels) that ended up missing the break. Track has been sealed for multiple days, which usually helps frontrunners. Horse is 3 for 3 in his career (now 4 for 4) over SA main track. An Into Mischief that had showed enough early in his career to draw $1 million as a 2yo-in-training. Went off as an overlay (5-1 ML).
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #30
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Slow horse, Beyer, TGraf, BRIS, proven loser, questionable form at best, soundly beaten by both the favs.....10-1, maybe.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: