Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #31
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I caught you on TVG for 30-45 minutes last week, it was the day you told the story about riding your bike between Gulfstream and Calder. I enjoyed it. You were funny, self-deprecating and entertaining.
VIC does have some interesting stories. I follow and bet on his pics many times with little success. Just a timing thing. Anyway Fuss I will be at Gulfstream middle of January if you care to meet. I have a family that may have a few horses running through LRF racing .
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #32
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
Anyway Fuss I will be at Gulfstream middle of January if you care to meet. I have a family that may have a few horses running through LRF racing .
Absolutely!. It's on like donkey kong!
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #33
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
It seems everyone working around the track needs licensed by the respective state racing commission. Are the stewards employees of the track or the state (where does their pay come from)?

What about track announcers, can they bet on races they are calling?
Stewards can be contracted by the State OR employed by the track. In California all 4 Stewards (safety) were independent contractors. There are other jurisdictions where 1 or 2 are paid by the association.

It's very rare to work at a track that prohibits announcers from wagering. There are a few. I bet on the races I call. More so now that I'm doing a full handicapping show before the races everyday. There have been times when if I felt like I wasn't properly motivated or focused on a card. Maybe a rainy Thursday during a long season. I'd cap the card and bet $20 on every race. It helped me be much more in tune to the dynamics of the race and assisted when memorization.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #34
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I caught you on TVG for 30-45 minutes last week, it was the day you told the story about riding your bike between Gulfstream and Calder. I enjoyed it. You were funny, self-deprecating and entertaining.
Thanks Fuss. 4 hours of live TV can drag. I try to fill in some of the gaps with stories. After 45 years at the racetrack you archive a few. Some of them are even true
Old 12-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #35
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
VIC does have some interesting stories. I follow and bet on his pics many times with little success. Just a timing thing. Anyway Fuss I will be at Gulfstream middle of January if you care to meet. I have a family that may have a few horses running through LRF racing .
Here's another race tracker term I'll share with you. It's called being a Jonah. Look up Eddie Mush from the movie A Bronx Tale.

If you've had "little success" you must be the Jonah. My plays on TVG have been on FIRE lately.

Back on the air next weekend Dec 13,14 & 15.

I'm doing the reporting on track from Los Alamitos on Friday the 14th. Really looking forward to that.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #36
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Thanks Fuss. 4 hours of live TV can drag. I try to fill in some of the gaps with stories. After 45 years at the racetrack you archive a few. Some of them are even true
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
So, there must have been a few contentious split decisions among the Stewards that you've worked with.....Tell me about a heated split decision that you were involved with, and the outcome...
Quote:
I will Randall. I've got a couple. Can't do it now. Due on the air on TVG2 at 1:00pm. But I promise I'll follow up later.
You got time now to tell me a heated stewards story involving a split decision?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #37
v j stauffer

Quote:
You got time now to tell me a heated stewards story involving a split decision?
At Ferndale we DQ'ed a Mule. It was as simple and cut and dried as a decision could be. They were racing around a turn. Running 660 yards. The mule wiped out three others. One of which amazingly was coming back on to almost win the race. 2-1 split decision. When we asked the dissenter what the hell race was he looking at he said I'm leaving it as is and you would too if you understood the " Persona of the Mule" There was a HUGE stink because a bridge jumper had $200,000 to show on the Mule and we DQ'ed her completely out of the money to 4th.

Biggest argument I ever had was over whether a horse should be a late scratch. The filly showed up in the paddock wearing blinkers. She had not worn them in her last start and there was no change of equipment on either the overnight or program. They were coming out of the paddock. Trainer insisted he put the COE on the entry card. We called the racing office and sure enough there was the change. It's now 7 minutes to post and we have to decide what to do. We gave the trainer the option to run her without the blinkers. He didn't want to do that. So I voted to scratch the filly. One of my fellow stewards agreed but the other was very vociferous that she should be allowed to run with the blinkers if an announcement was made with TV graphics and a crawl. This was further complicated by another trainer in the race complaining that it would effect the tactics he intended to use with his filly. I said she MUST be scratched because if we let her run in blinkers it wouldn't be fair to the wagering public. The other Steward said the announcement would be enough. I said what about the people who made advance wagers and couldn't have the opportunity to cancel or change their tickets? What if they got home and lost to a filly that had blinkers when they were not on when they did their handicapping and made their wagers? The discussion got very heated. We voted 2-1 to scratch her.

As a post script to that story. The trainer was given an entry "super star" which meant she would receive 1st preference to enter in any future race she was eligible for. We also fined the complaining trainer for inappropriate behavior towards racing officials. The racing office was also fined for the clerical error of not properly posting the blinker change which WAS on the original entry card.

I'll share if I think of any others.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 12-07-2018 at 02:37 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #38
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Good stuff....Never heard of the term "super star" when given entry preference before....Is that a retro term or is it still used in Race Sec Office?
Old 12-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #39
v j stauffer

Quote:
Good stuff....Never heard of the term "super star" when given entry preference before....Is that a retro term or is it still used in Race Sec Office?
Some offices keep track of eligibility with a "dates" system. Some use a "star" system.

With the star method each time a horse can't get into a race it's given a "star". If in another race it's a toss up as to who would draw in and who would be excluded the horse with the most stars would get preference.

A Super Star would put that horse immediately to the front of the line in any race they wanted to enter her in.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #40
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Is there any way to know when a horse has been "super starred" into a race beforehand?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #41
v j stauffer

Quote:
Is there any way to know when a horse has been "super starred" into a race beforehand?
The only way I can think of would be to attend the draw. Which BTW any member of the public can witness. Even if it's on the backstretch. They'll give anyone that wants to watch the draw a special pass.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #42
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
The only way I can think of would be to attend the draw. Which BTW any member of the public can witness. Even if it's on the backstretch. They'll give anyone that wants to watch the draw a special pass.
Will the Race Sec Office give that info over the phone?...Looking for possible edges the streamlined way....Wouldn't mind charting this info to see something, could yield +ROI play or auto-toss.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #43
v j stauffer

Quote:
Unfortunately in this day and age eligibility preference rarely comes into play. Racing secretaries are much more concerned about getting 5 or 6 to make a race go than who is impacted by a race overfilling.

When that does happen the Secretary immediately starts to investigate if he might be able to "split" the race into two or three separate fields.

If they're thinking about a split office staffers will calls the large barns and ask a trainer if he has another one for the same condition because the office is looking into a split. An announcement will also be made.

If a trainer does put other horses in. Those entries will be separated before the draw begins to insure he doesn't have to run both in the same race against each other.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #44
v j stauffer

Quote:
Will the Race Sec Office give that info over the phone?...Looking for possible edges the streamlined way....Wouldn't mind charting this info to see something, could yield +ROI play or auto-toss.
Entries cannot be viewed by anyone other than the Racing Secretary before the race is exposed at the draw.

That's when eligibility is revealed. But it would only be spoken of if horses are excluded.

A horse with a super star would just mesh in with everybody else unless the race overfilled.

I suppose if you asked the Office about a particular race or horse they would tell you. There's nothing to hide.

But there's zero chance if you called and asked what horses had super stars for that day's draw they would take time to look it up.

Also, something like a super star is extremely rare. Maybe 3 or 4 a year.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #45
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Here's what I'm thinking of doing when your track, Oaklawn, opens it's meet....Since Oaklawn seems to always have full fields, it would seem that this situation might happen there more than any other track and is definitely worth charting, if it's doable....Something to keep in mind.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: