Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #31
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Andy,

That's kind of the point, isn't it?

Racing has not done it via the states, so now the feds are stepping in.

Not convinced the outcome will be a good one, but change has been needed for a long time.
Dave,

My point is that nobody agrees on what should be changed. What makes this a national issue?
Old 09-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #32
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Dave,

My point is that nobody agrees on what should be changed. What makes this a national issue?
I get that point and it is valid.

Still a need.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2020, 07:47 PM   #33
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
"Hold my beer..."
Mine too

Name one thing the Government managed well?
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #34
dilanesp

Quote:
Dave,

Nobody can agree on the proper size of the defense budget or 100 other items in the federal budget either. Doesn't mean they aren't national issues.

The states can't do this. There's too much regulatory capture from the interested parties.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2020, 11:57 PM   #35
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Nobody can agree on the proper size of the defense budget or 100 other items in the federal budget either. Doesn't mean they aren't national issues.

The states can't do this. There's too much regulatory capture from the interested parties.
Defending the US is a national issue. Deciding whether or not a horse should be allowed to use a certain drug is not.

If there is such an outcry for clean racing why wouldn't a track, a state or a circuit do it? Their toteboards would blow up with all the action.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:14 AM   #36
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
If there is such an outcry for clean racing why wouldn't a track, a state or a circuit do it? Their toteboards would blow up with all the action.
From your mouth to God's ears.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:44 AM   #37
mountainman

New and uniform regulations?? Let's start by putting stiff penalties behind the ones we have.

More bureaucracy can help only if oversight bodies both wield and (routinely) exercise complete authority over stewards and proceed fearlessly despite the traditionally intimidating specter of lawsuits.

Proof of violation in racing is rarely so clear as to be uncontestable, and no perpetrator is ever going to walk in and confess. So any proposed higher authority needs the guts, job security, and legal resources to act decisively based on judgement calls.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-05-2020 at 12:50 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #38
classhandicapper

Quote:
Racing is not like a league where rules need to be uniform throughout. Each track or jurisdiction should be able to make their own rules. Olympic qualifying events need to be run using the same rules everywhere or else participants would have an unfair advantage or disadvantage. The results of a horse race in Louisiana is not affected by the results of a race in California.
Believe me, I understand the points you are making.

However, I can't count how many time I've seen a horse not run particularly well at NYRA, jump up big out of town, and then come back to NYRA. I have no idea how to handle that.

I can track shippers from that other circuit, look at which trainer it was, check for equipment changes etc.. but I'm guessing as to whether that horse moved up because of a change in "healthcare" that can't be duplicated in NY or a change in form. Then once I get suspicious of a circuit, I'm really screwed. I can't trust any horses from there even though some of them may simply be very good.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #39
dilanesp

Quote:
Defending the US is a national issue. Deciding whether or not a horse should be allowed to use a certain drug is not.

Regulating horse racing is also a national issue. States are in competition with each other. That's why the CHRB felt it couldn't disqualify Baffert's Santa Anita Derby winner. Baffert is too important to California racing.

National regulators have no interest in protecting the big players.

This isn't just true in horse racing by the way. OSHA, for instance, has to be a federal agency, because states would allow big employers to have unsafe factories to avoid losing a bunch of jobs to a state with lax regulators. It's called the "race to the bottom" or "lemons equilibrium".
Old 09-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #40
AndyC

Quote:
Regulating horse racing is also a national issue. States are in competition with each other. That's why the CHRB felt it couldn't disqualify Baffert's Santa Anita Derby winner. Baffert is too important to California racing.

National regulators have no interest in protecting the big players.

This isn't just true in horse racing by the way. OSHA, for instance, has to be a federal agency, because states would allow big employers to have unsafe factories to avoid losing a bunch of jobs to a state with lax regulators. It's called the "race to the bottom" or "lemons equilibrium".
Where is the competitive edge for a track /state to allow or not allow drugs? If the demand for drug-free racing was strong then there would be a rush to go drug-free.

Your OSHA example was good for factories but I am not seeing the unfair advantage situation in racing.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:34 PM   #41
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
New and uniform regulations?? Let's start by putting stiff penalties behind the ones we have.

More bureaucracy can help only if oversight bodies both wield and (routinely) exercise complete authority over stewards and proceed fearlessly despite the traditionally intimidating specter of lawsuits.

Proof of violation in racing is rarely so clear as to be uncontestable, and no perpetrator is ever going to walk in and confess. So any proposed higher authority needs the guts, job security, and legal resources to act decisively based on judgement calls.
THIS.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #42
horsefan2019

Be careful what you wish for. Imagine somebody taking over this national body and shutting down the sport.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #43
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Imagine somebody taking over this national body and shutting down the sport.
Congress can do that already. Any time they want.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #44
dilanesp

Quote:
Where is the competitive edge for a track /state to allow or not allow drugs? If the demand for drug-free racing was strong then there would be a rush to go drug-free.

Your OSHA example was good for factories but I am not seeing the unfair advantage situation in racing.
You assume state regulators respond to bettors.

What if, instead, they respond to local horsemen who use drugs?
Old 09-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #45
AndyC

Quote:
You assume state regulators respond to bettors.

What if, instead, they respond to local horsemen who use drugs?
I would say that would defy all probabilities with 34 states siding with drug using owners and trainers.

I assume that state regulators act in the best interests of the state.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: