Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
chiguy

Andy Serling

Okay not sure if he is a person on this board or not but if he is could you please at least act a little more interested when you are on Steve Byk's radio show/podcast. I have heard him a couple of times sounding very disinterested but today's appearance takes the cake. Yawning regularly and saying he probably won't even look at the Derby card. I know this guy has a mountain of information and is a very sharp handicapper so is it just that he is so focused on NY racing that he would make a statement like that? If the guys who are the media people in our business can make a statement like that then we really have an uphill battle on our hands.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
1st time lasix

He does post here occasionally. He likes to act like a tough guy...or show a bit of arrogance once in while. Just a public personna.
He actually is pretty nice when in the mood or when the lights are off. Like many Yankees....perhaps a bit jaded because so many people are generally crowded around.
I never form any opinion of anyone until I get to know someone. A lot of successful people cop an attitude and get bored when surrounded by people they feel are not engaging or thoughtful. Lack of patience can sometimes show itself in different forms. Professionals in all fields seem to share that trait at times. He quite good at whatever he does. Not easy to be a solid capper .....maybe a bit easier to be a lovable host?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
dilanesp

If he is who I think he is, I have gotten into it with him , but he has no obligation to pretend he wants to play the Derby card if he actually doesn't think it is profitable. So unless he is lying and actually intends to play it, nothing at all wrong with the statement.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

He posts on here under the moniker of 'thelittleguy'.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
RunForTheRoses

Could his no Derby card be a dig at Churchill and their transgressions?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
Could his no Derby card be a dig at Churchill and their transgressions?
It's probably him Being smart and sticking to his main track vs spreading out and Being a degen like most of us are going to be on Saturday
Old 05-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
Okay not sure if he is a person on this board or not but if he is could you please at least act a little more interested when you are on Steve Byk's radio show/podcast. I have heard him a couple of times sounding very disinterested but today's appearance takes the cake. Yawning regularly and saying he probably won't even look at the Derby card.
I listened. Maybe you missed the first couple of minutes. Right off the bat, Andy said he couldn't fall asleep last night and apologized to Byk and his audience for yawning...you conveniently left that part out...but that's ok...as long as you get the dig in.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89 View Post
It's probably him Being smart and sticking to his main track vs spreading out and Being a degen like most of us are going to be on Saturday

That's one reason I am sympathetic to his position. That's very good gambling advice.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
He does post here occasionally. He likes to act like a tough guy...or show a bit of arrogance once in while. Just a public personna.
He actually is pretty nice when in the mood or when the lights are off. Like many Yankees....perhaps a bit jaded because so many people are generally crowded around.
I never form any opinion of anyone until I get to know someone. A lot of successful people cop an attitude and get bored when surrounded by people they feel are not engaging or thoughtful. Lack of patience can sometimes show itself in different forms. Professionals in all fields seem to share that trait at times. He quite good at whatever he does. Not easy to be a solid capper .....maybe a bit easier to be a lovable host?
So, I hear that a few years ago, when you were looking to make a trip to Saratoga, this guy who is "pretty nice when in the mood or when the lights are off," but also "likes to act like a tough guy or show a bit of arrogance," actually went out of his way to get you some pretty nice seats at Saratoga during Whitney weekend...and also help you out in some other ways. Was that you, or am I mistaking you with somebody else?

And if that was you, man, what a warm and heartfelt note of thanks from you here... I'm sure he'll be happy to go out of his way to help someone else from this board after this "thank you" note.

Oh, and he doesn't post here at all now. You know why? Because of bullshit threads like these.

Thanks guys. Way to go.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #10
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Oh, and he doesn't post here at all now. You know why? Because of bullshit threads like these.

Thanks guys. Way to go.
It's not like he didn't bring at least some of it on himself. In 10 years on this board, he is the only person I have blocked - I blocked and unblocked him a few times....when he talked horses, he was very knowledgeable and a great read.....other times, the descriptors pompous and passive activist first come to mind.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #11
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggingTheRail View Post
It's not like he didn't bring at least some of it on himself. In 10 years on this board, he is the only person I have blocked - I blocked and unblocked him a few times....when he talked horses, he was very knowledgeable and a great read.....other times, the descriptors pompous and passive activist first come to mind.
Passive activist.... hehe
Old 05-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Still amazed how many people here are fascinated with Andy Serling and just can't stop talking about him. It's Derby week, I'm locking this one up. Here's a picture of him if you guys need your fix until the next thread about him pops up.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: