Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
1st time lasix

My trip to Saratoga....

Arrived from my flight in on Tuesday afternoon..... In order to properly get "in the mood" we went immediately to the Racing Hall of Fame Museum. Browsed through all the paintings,..sculptures,...pictures.... and video history of the greats of the game. Met our local hosts at Sperry's Restaurant downtown where they have solid fare, an all-mahogany wood bar and plenty of racing illustrations on the walls. At dawn-- we went to the Oklahoma training track to watch some works and the busy actions of all the hands at the stables. The following morning we went to the backside of the main track to get a cheap breakfast sandwich and watch the works at the sun rose. So many horses with the Chad brown, Todd Pletcher, Chris Clement and Linda Rice saddlecloths. We experienced the afternoon racing from many different angles...the rail, the grandstand, reserved seats and even in a private owners box sipping champagne on Thursday. My lady wore a different summer dress and a fancy hat each day. Fortunately, we had credentials that allowed us to enter the paddock pre-race before the juvenile and feature races about three times each day. It was neat to be so close to observe the game's star personalities. The crowd on the weekend was massive.. but very well behaved. There was music playing and people having fun near the picnic tables between races. The racing itself was spectacular and rather unpredictable. After the last race...we had to stop at Siro's for a cold one or two before walking back home. Got some Hattie's chicken, a Marino's pizza and rubbed shoulders with horse people at a couple of classic bars in town. We admired the expensive racing artwork and seeing all the majestic animals. Wish I could tell you I won a lot of coin.... but the memories will last far longer than the painful sting of a missed photo finish. Hope I get to return someday.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
wisconsin

There is nothing anywhere like Saratoga, and I am wishing I could go back this year, it's simply not in the cards.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin
There is nothing anywhere like Saratoga, and I am wishing I could go back this year, it's simply not in the cards.
It's obvious you've never been to Del Mar......Pure horse racing Paradise.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix
Arrived from my flight in on Tuesday afternoon..... In order to properly get "in the mood" we went immediately to the Racing Hall of Fame Museum. Browsed through all the paintings,..sculptures,...pictures.... and video history of the greats of the game. Met our local hosts at Sperry's Restaurant downtown where they have solid fare, an all-mahogany wood bar and plenty of racing illustrations on the walls. At dawn-- we went to the Oklahoma training track to watch some works and the busy actions of all the hands at the stables. The following morning we went to the backside of the main track to get a cheap breakfast sandwich and watch the works at the sun rose. So many horses with the Chad brown, Todd Pletcher, Chris Clement and Linda Rice saddlecloths. We experienced the afternoon racing from many different angles...the rail, the grandstand, reserved seats and even in a private owners box sipping champagne on Thursday. My lady wore a different summer dress and a fancy hat each day. Fortunately, we had credentials that allowed us to enter the paddock pre-race before the juvenile and feature races about three times each day. It was neat to be so close to observe the game's star personalities. The crowd on the weekend was massive.. but very well behaved. There was music playing and people having fun near the picnic tables between races. The racing itself was spectacular and rather unpredictable. After the last race...we had to stop at Siro's for a cold one or two before walking back home. Got some Hattie's chicken, a Marino's pizza and rubbed shoulders with horse people at a couple of classic bars in town. We admired the expensive racing artwork and seeing all the majestic animals. Wish I could tell you I won a lot of coin.... but the memories will last far longer than the painful sting of a missed photo finish. Hope I get to return someday.
I am glad that you had an enjoyable trip to the Spa; I have been going there for 40+ years and it has always been fun.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall

Yeah, been there a couple of times as well. Not the same as Saratoga, the city or the atmosphere.

I will admit, racing in the afternoon followed by wading in the ocean is pretty cool, followed by dinner at the Corvette Diner.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
lamboguy

i will be there on August 13th for the FOURSTARDAVE
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Cratos

Quote:
I have been to Santa Anita and the bygone Hollywood Park, but never to Del Mar; why do you consider it a "paradise"?

I am not questioning your description of Del Mar, I just want an understanding.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Not sure if this is a joke, but I'll bite.

How many times have you been to the SPA?
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
Mike at A+
Software Developer

Just got back from 6 days in Saratoga and going again 8/13-15. We hit our usual places (George's Steakhouse for Prime Rib in Lake George, Forno on the strip for good Italian, Siam Thai/Sushi and Davidson's Brew Pub in Glens Falls, Adirondack Pub in Lake George, Adirondack Steak and Seafood on a day trip to Lake Placid). As we were leaving yesterday, we decided to have lunch on the strip before hitting the road. Parked the car, got out and started walking north toward Caroline St. It was then that we noticed .....

LILLIAN'S IS CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the most famous spots on the strip closed down after 30 years! We only ate there a handful of times but always stopped in for one of their classic Bloody Marys. Very sad that such a Saratoga mainstay is now gone.
Mike at A+ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i will be there on August 13th for the FOURSTARDAVE
That's the only day you'll be there>
I am headed up on the 16th. Most likely i will be at the track on that Wednesday for a few races anyway.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
biggestal99

Quote:
Been to both many times first time at Saratoga 1976 and first time at del mar 1984, each track is unique, handicapping slightly easier at Del mar due to the weather and lack of shippers.

Both rate very highly for great tracks to visit.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #12
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
That's the only day you'll be there>
I am headed up on the 16th. Most likely i will be at the track on that Wednesday for a few races anyway.
i will probably be there the 14th as well for the sale across the street.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #13
BMustang

Call me crazy, but my trip to Saratoga now stops at Presque Isle Downs.

For years I drove to Saratoga from Cincinnati via Presque Isle and Finger Lakes, but since my last trip to the spa, the year that Tom Durkin retired, I now come to Presque Isle, devotedly play the Saratoga races by day and the Presque live card by evening/night without venturing farther east on I-90.

I really miss breakfast at the Malta Diner and the hub-bub around the track and downtown, while staying down at Round Lake for a song. However, old age and lack of buddies to make the trip with, brings me here for a week each summer and it is quite nice. There are a couple of nice Italian restaurants downtown Eire, Pa, and at $67 a night in the nicest Super 8 in the world it works for me.

There is nothing like Saratoga (for us Easterners) and if you have the chance by all means go.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #14
Ocala Mike

I will be making a "pilgrimage" up there next week, and will be at the track 8/10-8/13. Will be staying at the Spa Motel on Ballston St. downtown. Reliving old times when I used to work up there every August; kind of a "bucket list" trip.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #15
tanner12oz

Its a great place up there. Will be there with the masses again for Travers weekend. Great times. I stay in Albany make the trek from Pittsburgh area.
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: