Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-31-2003, 08:36 AM   #1
penguinfan
Gelded since last post

All-Ways software WTF!

I get an advertisement in the mail for All-Ways software that includes 7 or 8 pages of why I should own this software for only $695.00 Then I see All-Ways software at Bris that I can download for free, surely they can't be the same can they? Of course it doesn't matter because the files to run the software are $14.00 each! Maybe I am glossing over something here and making an ass out of myslef, but what the hell is deal here. I am still on the search for a piece of software and right now Equisim is definatly in the lead and I may just purchase it today, but if someone can tell me what this does that justifies $695.00 and $14.00 data files, I am all ears. Also does it pay for my hooker after I hit big, or after buying this program are you already screwed?

Penguinfan
penguinfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2003, 09:10 AM   #2
JimG

I've owned both...Equisim and All-Ways...and prefer Equisim. You can do a search on this board for both pieces of software and find many user thoughts that have been written in the past.

The download costs do not make All-Ways an option.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2003, 09:15 AM   #3
penguinfan
Gelded since last post

Is the one advertised in the mail the same program Bris gives you free?

Penguinfan
Old 05-31-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
JimG

Yes and No.

There are some features that the paid version gives you...such as database capabilities...ability to handicap the card using 3 profiles simultaneously...ability to design your own reports and a few other things. The flyer All-Ways sent you should tell you some of the things included in the paid version. The free version is a full functioning piece of software that would be nice if the datafiles were not so expensive.

Jim
Old 05-31-2003, 10:16 AM   #5
penguinfan
Gelded since last post

Thanks for the replies, you are right, the data files cost is rediculous.

Penguinfan
Old 05-31-2003, 10:48 AM   #6
hurrikane

yeah, I used All-Ways for about 2 months. No way you can pay for that download and make a profit too.

Only thing stupider are the sheets at $25 a track.
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2003, 11:05 AM   #7
Milleruszk

Allways software

I downloaded the free Allways from Bris. I was all charged up to give it a go. Of course reality set in once I realized that the race cards were $14.00 a pop. I never did use it. I deleted the program from my hard drive. I felt like I was had, it was my own fault for not reading everything, but the software is free and than the charge is $14.00 per race card? I guess the software developers felt that they would get us "hooked" and after that we would be glad to pay the $14.00. Sort of like drug pushers.

Tom
Milleruszk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2003, 11:20 AM   #8
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

I downloaded the program just to see what's up. You can't see anything on the screen. The program is all about the printer. I saw no pp screen, nothing showing the horses in the race. I don't know what these HALL FIGURES are but, there was nothing to see on my laptop.

Anyway, I would NEVER PAY $14 PER CARD AND $695 FOR ANY PROGRAM "EVER". I'm just not that bad of a handicapper.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2003, 01:52 PM   #9
Trijack

I have been an Always user for the last 8 to 10 years, Always Pro for the last 2 years and I bought it from another fellow user so I did not pay full price. Have upgraded 2 times since, once for 50.00 and the most recent for the going price as I don't remember the exact figure.

As I have stated on other threads I use the program to play tri's. I like it because I can up with the top 4 contenders quickly and have the winner in about 80% of the time and since I usually put 3 horses on top all I have to do is elminate one horse and usually make up a 1.00 ticket that usually cost anywhere from 24.00 to 36.00.

You can print out the pp's using Bris's Generator or just view them on the screen. I only print out Track Bias & Summary from the pp's and usually print out 2 reports from the Always program.

If you join the Gold Club you get the files for 7.00 and since I live in California I can't get the 20% rebate from BrisBet.

There is a long learning curve to using the program as there is with most horse racing software. Most of the time I only play one track at a time so it works for me.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:49 PM   #10
Vigors

ALL-WAYS

I was one of the very first handicappers to purchase ALL-WAYS
from Gary Hall after a 3 hour conversation ( for $895 at that time
1994-95 ). I was also one of about 30 members in a select group
which John Rancott ran called Winner's Circle (many from Rac-Com) with an iron fist, wether he is currently resting in peace or not, I doubt anyone that knew him could care..
I paid about $1750 initially for program ( WC ) and Seminar in Vegas...it was my advertizment for ALL-WAYS that made me PERSONA NON Grata....little did I know that John "I never missed a meal I didn't like" Rancott required you to marry his program "till death do you part". I conferred with Hall many times the first few years of ALL-Ways...always explaining that a "2 track player" like me doing So. & No. Calif., was looking at a nut of $6000 per. to break even.
The people in the previous post's trying to compare the Pro
version VS. the FREEware are doing a dis-service by even trying
a comparision....it's like saying "Both the 1966 VW and the 1993
Ferrari Testorosa had engines manufactured oversea's, as well as
2 door's a piece...and some people even favored the space getting in & out of the VW....both had radio's, but the Ferrari's had
FM stations as well. Or better yet......Here are 2 1969 Camero's,
identical to anyone veiwing both......oh, the difference's....well one
has the 6 cylinder 130 Horsepower, 3 speed. The other is the Z-28 Blueprinted-Turbo'd 5 speed with resinacter's, etc, etc. But
their appearence is the same. To make any type of reasonable
comparsion...first try to get the playing field as even as possible
When a 2 bedroom shack in Tijuana, Mexico can be compared
to Shaq O'Neil's Beverly Hills Mansion, then wake me up......
otherwise, PLEEESE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More times then not, I'd be working on ALL-WAYs, and the sun
would appear with a "not you ,again" look, knowing I'd be like a
kid staying up all night LOVING every minute of creating new pro-
files and uping the R.O.I's, little by little....working with many of the 71 Impact Value's, etc. Although, the $ 7 file....spelled SEVEN
per track caused me to hang on to program, rather then use or
sell ( the last offer was $425 several months ago ) . It may be a
few update's until they break the sound Barrier...but when they do....God help the player who can't afford $2500 w/$25 per file,
the price of poker WILL GO UP, GENTLEMEN.....and for those without, there's always Equi.
Now that this has been said, there is ONLY one TRUTHFUL way to
show how good ALL-WAYS is........go back several months ago
when the best software was being debated.....the only one thing that read's true is the constant statement, comment or sediment
where the people who used ALL-WAY'S Pro and said that if cost
of file was not an issue.....no program was even close. With the
previous user's comments genralized in front of you..I'll let THEM
rest this case.
Vigors is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2003, 07:03 PM   #11
JimG

Vigors,

Interesting post. I enjoy reading about others and the type of software they use. I was one of the one who said they would use All-Ways if the datafile price was not so high. And, your right, I probably should not have attempted to compare the Pro version from the regular version as my use over the years is sporadic at best.

Do you still use the software or have you moved on to others? If you no longer use it, why not?

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 05-31-2003 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:52 PM   #12
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Penguinfan,

In my opinion the greatest value for the money is Equisim or Joe Zambuto's program. Both are very good programs and inexpensive. I use both of them.

Both use the cheap .50 TSN files, if you need em.

ZAFONIC
Old 05-31-2003, 09:57 PM   #13
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Zafonic, Do you use the Custom Builder? I like it but, find that the program has alot of bugs.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2003, 11:07 PM   #14
hdcper
JCapper Enthusiast

Hope you go with Equisim

Penguinfan,

I agree with JimG, Equisim is the way to go!!

By the way, Speed Figure must be talking about Zambuto's program since Equisim doesn't have anything called a custom builder and Equisim is bug free.

Hope you join the Equisim team, great program, top notch support and a group of users more than willing to help.

Bill
hdcper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2003, 11:21 PM   #15
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally posted by speed figure
Zafonic, Do you use the Custom Builder? I like it but, find that the program has alot of bugs.
I do not use the custom builder. True there are a few bugs here and there, nothing major in my opinion.

And true Equisim is bug free and a pleasure to use. Nathan has done a wonderful job.

ZAFONIC