Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Fager Fan
Veteran

RIP to Mongolian Groom and CA Racing

I extend my condolences to the connections.

I extend my immense ire at the BC who made such a foolhardy decision.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
AlsoEligible

Confirmed. RIP.

Feinstein said point blank that this weekend was do or die for CA racing...let the fallout begin.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post

BC was fine, I blame the animal rights protestors for putting out the unrealistic expectations that there should be no deaths....which is not possible. The injury was a freak accident and not the track's fault.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
MargieRose

With two long, almost flawless days of racing and one unfortunate accident happening more than midway through the last race, what, if anything, about the Santa Anita track itself could be blamed for THIS particular injury?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #5
airford1

All things change and it wont surprise me that California makes horse racing illegal. It would just be a shift of the Horses and work force to other tracks. The parimutuel wagering will still be there. Not much of a change for most .
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 11:07 PM   #6
Si2see

Such a sad note to end a great day of racing. There were a lot of nice performances today , my favorite one was Uni.

I had Mongolian groom on each ticket today , and was fortunate enough to see him in person at Saratoga this summer. What a nice little horse who tried his hardest and probably ran the race of his life today just a shame it ended like it did for him , I hoped that the riders quick move to stop on him might have saved his life , not so fortunate
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
cutchemist42

Very said to hear about the horse and what it means for the sport

I've accepted it will be voted on and defeated on the next ballot....guessing that happens 2020?

Just wondering if PETA gets it extended to all equine sports?

I'm guessing PETAs next battleground is Florida as they already helped end greyhounds there. The sport needs to accept California is gone and figure out how to stop the same in Florida.

One big lesson is not allow racing when a sudden spike happens as the story only picks up steam. I think the sport would have survived in California if Santa Anita had not kept racing and allowed the story to catch steam.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #8
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Very said to hear about the horse and what it means for the sport

I've accepted it will be voted on and defeated on the next ballot....guessing that happens 2020?

Just wondering if PETA gets it extended to all equine sports?

I'm guessing PETAs next battleground is Florida as they already helped end greyhounds there. The sport needs to accept California is gone and figure out how to stop the same in Florida.

One big lesson is not allow racing when a sudden spike happens as the story only picks up steam. I think the sport would have survived in California if Santa Anita had not kept racing and allowed the story to catch steam.
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to do the same for equestrian sports. Basically anybody who enjoys riding horses will be next.
Also if you noticed there were some protestors there advocating for vegan diet as well....they have a long term agenda of forcing humans to not use animals for food, sport or recreation.

Last edited by horsefan2019; 11-02-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #9
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to do the same for equestrian sports. Basically anybody who enjoys riding horses will be next.
I'm not trying to make a what-about argument but horses die in every equine sport, albeit at different rates and amounts due to number of events.

I could see this only apply to racing though because the number sounds large and it's the only equine sport that tracks their deaths accurately in many states allowing easier finger pointing.

For the people who think 1 horse death is too much would need to vote out other sports using the same mindset.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post

You're hilarious, I'll give you that.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:12 AM   #11
DGroundhog
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I'm not trying to make a what-about argument but horses die in every equine sport, albeit at different rates and amounts due to number of events.

I could see this only apply to racing though because the number sounds large and it's the only equine sport that tracks their deaths accurately in many states allowing easier finger pointing.

For the people who think 1 horse death is too much would need to vote out other sports using the same mindset.
Who is going to adopt all of these horses if they shut down racing, rodeos and equine events? Where do these people think the horses are going to end up when there is no longer any use for them?
DGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #12
dilanesp

Fager is right. Dirt racing at Santa Anita is not safe right now. The BC should have been moved, wasn't, and a decent horse is dead as a result. A black eye for the sport, and perhaps a death-knell for the sport in California.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 12:17 AM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Fager is right. Dirt racing at Santa Anita is not safe right now. The BC should have been moved, wasn't, and a decent horse is dead as a result. A black eye for the sport, and perhaps a death-knell for the sport in California.
You're out of your mind. As is all who think like you.

Did you just get into this game?

BTW, a horse broke both it's legs running away from a fire in California the other day and had to be put down. And no, it wasn't a racehorse.

The insanity goes on...
Old 11-03-2019, 12:26 AM   #14
oughtoh

It just puts a sad ending to a great 2 days of racing.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 12:26 AM   #15
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You're out of your mind. As is all who think like you.

Did you just get into this game?

BTW, a horse broke both it's legs running away from a fire in California the other day and had to be put down. And no, it wasn't a racehorse.

The insanity goes on...
Yep, and certain posters who have fallen for this hysteria keep blaming the sport of horse racing. Fact is horses are fragile animals, this latest injury had nothing to do with the track.