Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #46
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #47
SaratogaSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I think there is a lot of exaggerating as far as DQs are concerned. Overall, they are relatively infrequent, and in my experience, I don't have a major issue with too many. Maybe there were a few more than was to be expected in Saratoga this Summer, but as someone involved with racing pretty much every day, their significance seems negligible. Clearly this is just me, as a lot of people seem to be up in arms about it, and I have no argument that a uniform set of rules, adjudicated consistently, would be an ideal scenario, but it's hard to see that happening.

Personally, I wish Stewards would be more hands on in the day to day racing activities, not involving riding infractions. It could never hurt to talk to trainers, or riders, more after races to ask why certain things did or did not happen. It can't be bad to be more involved in a positive way.

I do take exception with anyone that suggests Stewards make decisions based on what some believe track management may want ( like doing something to create Pick-6 carryovers or the like ). This is outright foolishness. It quite simply is not the case. That's beyond grassy knoll stuff. Sensible solutions come from reasonable discussions, not outlandish accusations.
hey Andy - any chance you could ever get the stewards to come on the feed to explain their decision - much like the NHL does with their suspensions?
SaratogaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #48
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratogaSteve View Post
hey Andy - any chance you could ever get the stewards to come on the feed to explain their decision - much like the NHL does with their suspensions?
No.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #49
Afleet

I benefited from this, had a $50 double. The people next to me were live to the 7,8 in the pick 4. I thought the #8 should of stayed up, but he did foul the 9, but thought it was to close to the finish line
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2018, 11:05 PM   #50
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
But this is Kentucky, and every decision ever made by them has favored Churchill and Keeneland over anything and anyone else. There have been many threads about it, notably the latest decision about a harness license.

I'd find it hard to be believe that those tracks had no say over which stewards are hired, fired, renewed, whatever. I'd hope I'm wrong but I'd also be very surprised if I am.
Not sure how it is in other states but most of the racing officials, stewards, placing judges, etc. in the state of Kentucky just rotate from track to track. I worked in the Racing Secretary's office at Keeneland for a half dozen or so of their meets back in the 2000s. Back then the same crew that worked Churchill would work Keeneland, Turfway or Ellis, and even KY Downs.

Barb Borden, Butch Beacraft, and Tyler Picklesmeyer (sp?), the stewards involved in Friday's decision, were all racing officials in some capacity back then and will probably be in some capacity until they are ready to retire. I worked closest with Barb Borden and can assure everyone that she would never cater to the best financial interest of Churchill, or any track she worked, when it comes to making a decision as a steward. She is a true professional as a racing official. I didn't know the other two as well but Beacraft struck me as a no nonsense guy who wouldn't compromise the integrity of the game, for the benefit of the track, either.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #51
SG4

Quote:
Yet another "worst DQ ever." It's so hard to keep up with them

I use Allemeuse, a five length winner that was disqualified at 7:1, but was actually the wrong horse...something Jerry Bailey told the Stewards during the inquiry, as the barometer for worst DQ ever. None of the 50 supposed worst DQs ever from 2018 come even close to that.

Having started this thread as the "worst DQ ever" I'll clarify a bit, as I stand by this from what I've seen in my lifetime. There may have been more egregious calls, Allemeuse incident comes to mind as #1, and I'm sure plenty others along the way have done less to merit a DQ. However, the confluence of events here between the bettor who was screwed out of an amazing score, plus the optics of this decision being so clearly beneficial to the racetrack's bottom line, combined with my feeling that there was 100% no way the foul changed the order of finish, makes this to me the worst I've seen.

Regarding the stewards & their motivation, I absolutely don't think a track official got on the phone & told them to make this DQ nor do I think discussion like that has ever occurred. But the stewards aren't in a soundproof box up there, they've got the track feed going & I'm sure it's possible they knew what may have been at stake, right? Isn't there a chance in the back of their minds if they were on the fence about this call that maybe helping the track out could've swayed their decision an iota? Even if they're trying to be fair, officials in sports will inevitably lean slightly in the home team's favor.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #52
ubercapper

If you haven't already taken the "Interference Survey" at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2018InterferenceSurvey
this thread might serve as additional motivation.

The survey closes Friday and in spite of 800+ views of the thread I started on 11/16 in this forum, only 450 people have taken the survey.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
If you haven't already taken the "Interference Survey" at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2018InterferenceSurvey

The survey closes Friday and in spite of 800+ views of the thread I started on 11/16 in this forum, only 450 people have taken the survey.
Possible the same people view the thread multiple times as they come back to read the latest replies, such as I just did for yours. I don't believe the views are unique, as in the number of people.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #54
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Possible the same people view the thread multiple times as they come back to read the latest replies, such as I just did for yours. I don't believe the views are unique, as in the number of people.
bingo
Old 11-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #55
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Yet another "worst DQ ever." It's so hard to keep up with them

I use Allemeuse, a five length winner that was disqualified at 7:1, but was actually the wrong horse...something Jerry Bailey told the Stewards during the inquiry, as the barometer for worst DQ ever. None of the 50 supposed worst DQs ever from 2018 come even close to that.
You may or may not remember a 1977 race at Saratoga in which It's Freezing and Great Contractor were two of the runners. There was contact out of the gate initiated by It's Freezing, but after a few seconds It's Freezing took off like he normally did and won the race easily. My shaky memory thinks there were at least 8 lengths back to Great Contractor. They DQ'd It's Freezing for the contact out of the gate. That DQ still irritates me.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #56
Afleet

The two jockeys whose mounts were disqualified in the 12th race Friday both will serve three-day suspensions.

Chris Landeros, rider of first-place finisher Presidential Tweet, will serve Wednesday through Friday of this week before resurfacing Saturday for the Claiming Crown card at Gulfstream Park. Florent Geroux, who rode second-place finisher New Colussus and is headed to Fair Grounds, will serve his penalty Dec. 5-7.

Both horses were disqualified in a controversial ruling that awarded victory in the maiden-special race to third-place finisher Laser Loop.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #57
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post

I just took it, because I had not seen it. I think posting it often or even posting it as its own thread would be productive.

But 450 people took it? That is pretty amazing if this is the only place or the predominate place that you posted it.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 PM   #58
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
The two jockeys whose mounts were disqualified in the 12th race Friday both will serve three-day suspensions.

Chris Landeros, rider of first-place finisher Presidential Tweet, will serve Wednesday through Friday of this week before resurfacing Saturday for the Claiming Crown card at Gulfstream Park. Florent Geroux, who rode second-place finisher New Colussus and is headed to Fair Grounds, will serve his penalty Dec. 5-7.

Both horses were disqualified in a controversial ruling that awarded victory in the maiden-special race to third-place finisher Laser Loop.
This some Bull pucky here.. wowza.... purse money plus days... ouch.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #59
formula_2002
what an easy game.

I felt the pain..I also thought it a bad call

Attached Images
File Type: png cd r12 dq.PNG (54.3 KB, 18 views)

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 01:23 AM   #60
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratogaSteve View Post
HRTV used to have a weekly segment where CHRB steward Scott Chaney would explain everything that took place the previous week.

I was interviewed on the Fairplex in house feed after a confusing situation regarding suspension days for a jockey named Christian Santiago Reyes.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: