Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
highnote

Bad publicity is better than no publicity?

You know the old saying, "Bad publicity is better than no publicity."

Well, I'm not sure it holds true in Rick Santorum's case.

This predicament may be kind of funny to some, but I'll take no publicity any day over this kind of bad publicity:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010...lem-dan-savage

This just goes to show the power of the internet.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

More proof that Libs are tasteless

These are the same people who described Sarah Palin as a **nt in print and on the air on television shows and T=shirts
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
More proof that Libs are tasteless

These are the same people who described Sarah Palin as a **nt in print and on the air on television shows and T=shirts

Some Libs may be tasteless. Cons have their share of tasteless individuals, too.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetyejohn
Some Libs may be tasteless. Cons have their share of tasteless individuals, too.
What's your excuse? Could be the most idiotic thread start of all time.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
find me a known Conservative calling a Left Wing public figure a **nt ? In public ?

Internet Boards and crappy extremist sites don't count.....we are talking public figures making these statements
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
What's your excuse? Could be the most idiotic thread start of all time.

I totally disagree. This is an important story because it reflects what is going on in our society on many different levels.

I went back an re-read the article and it dawned on me that Santorum's comments were actually pretty despicable. Maybe he deserves to get back what he dished out.

He tried to compare homosexuality to bestiality and pedophelia when he said, the "definition of marriage" has never included "man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be."

When politicians like Santorum enter into these kinds of arguments then they had better be prepared to deal with the fallout. I'm not saying the fallout is right or wrong or even whether he should comment on these things.

All I'm doing is presenting the facts to try to shed some light on our society.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
bigmack

Quote:
All I'm doing is presenting the facts to try to shed some light on our society.
Tastelessness is riddled throughout the internet, you're now a party to it.

BF Skinner you ain't.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Mike at A+
Software Developer

Quote:
You know the old saying, "Bad publicity is better than no publicity."

Well, I'm not sure it holds true in Rick Santorum's case.

This predicament may be kind of funny to some, but I'll take no publicity any day over this kind of bad publicity:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010...lem-dan-savage

This just goes to show the power of the internet.
That isn't "publicity". It's nothing short of a hate piece directed toward someone who believes in the conventional definition of marriage. Granted the examples he used ("man on boy" and "bestiality") touched a nerve in the gay community and rightly so. He should have thought that out before using those words. As far as "Mother Jones" portraying Santorum as a potential 2012 presidential candidate, that wasn't going to happen even without this story. Republicans need to nominate someone who doesn't wear his religion on his sleeve and has the business savvy we need to get us out of the ditch Obama is digging. By the way, Obama is also opposed to same sex marriage but he's a Democrat so it's swept under the rug. Put in the simplest of terms, leftist websites can't operate without personal attacks on Republicans because they are unable to find anything good on their side about the past 20 months.
Mike at A+ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
find me a known Conservative calling a Left Wing public figure a **nt ? In public ?

Internet Boards and crappy extremist sites don't count.....we are talking public figures making these statements

For the most part, people from the left and right are civil. There are always a few idiots. I'm sure you can use google to find disparaging remarks by a public person.

Personally, I believe people would be wise to keep these kind of opinions to themselves or only speak these kinds of opinions in private.

But my post was not about name calling and tastelessness. We know there is plenty of that.

My post was meant to show the power of the internet and how it can be used to lift public figures up or bring them down.

I thought I made that clear with the subject line about "Bad publicity". But it looks like I didn't. Sorry for the confusion.

So I'm setting the record straight... let me repeat... My post was meant to show the power of the internet and how it can be used to lift public figures up or bring them down.

And for the record, someone from PA who leans to the right posted a link about gay literature some high school teacher passed out to his students. The link was far more graphic than my link, but I know that no one on the right criticised the poster. So methinks I'm being criticised because this article was negative toward a conservative. Had the target been reversed, would you still be as critical to this post?