Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands: Saturday, January 5

Race One:

6 Myidealson N is not for the faint o’ heart. This New Zealand-bred had only one win last year. Yet, in this anything-can-happen opening-race, this guy might just hear the alarm clock – and wake up! His last race showed a glimpse of potential. “The Wolverine,” Eric Carlson, is in the bike (he surprised last week in the first race with Spaghetti Eddie). Mitchell MacKenzie trains this Mach Three-bred gelding. Others: 3, 9, 10.

Race Two:

3 Alta Shelby N finished a game 2nd to Surfing Tide last week. A chance to make amends for his beaten-favorite role. “DD,” Dexter Dunn, reprises the drive for owner-trainer, Carmen Auciello. This Mach Three-bred should be forwardly placed. I look for him to be coming on in deep stretch. Others: 1, 6, 5.

Race Three:

6 Joe’s Bid gets my nod. This Roll With Joe-bred bay gelding has been racing - in recent tries - in "rarefied-air company". He now comes back down to “Secaucus level” (across the Hackensack River). He should find this bunch more to his liking. I admit that only one win last year, three wins in his entire career, does not build one’s confidence; yet it’s all about the company you keep, or have been keeping. This guy has a chance. “The Orange Crush,” Andy Ray Miller, is in the seat. Richard Johnson trains. Others: 8, 2, 3.

Race Four:

3 Magnum Mike gets my call. Frankly, I’m not enamored with his being scratched out of last week’s race, nor am I enthralled with the fact that he broke in his last pari-mutuel start, but… If this guy is on his game, he can “inhale” this field. Maybe his connections are the only ones who truly know how ready he is. Tread lightly (carry a ‘big stick’) and watch the tote-board. Andy Miller is in the bike. Others: 1, 8, 9.

Race Five:
3 SISKEL. Spoiler alert: I think I know how this movie ends. I believe it involves a trip to the “Big M” winner’s circle. This gelding may have been overmatched in his last after a brief hiatus from pari-mutuel racing. He was last seen campaigning at Plainridge in MA. His qualifier was so-so (you can’t always hang your hat on that). All I can say is that he has the potential. My concern: “Is he ready?” If he is, this “flick” ends up with a “photo-shoot” in East Rutherford. Others: 5, 6, 9.

Race Six:

5 BUSHWACKER may just “ambush” this field. It’s “DD,” Dexter Dunn, in the bike, for trainer Chris Ryder. Can the “Kiwi Connection” prevail? I think they have a solid chance. This Rocknroll Hanover-bred gelding has been “knocking on the door”. Is this evening the day that he gains entrance? “Der Tag”? I believe so. Any moisture on the Meadowlands oval will help. Others: 4, 1/1A, 9.

Race Seven:

3 Tact Tate N should be out and going when the wings retract and the starter’s car scoots away toward the Paterson Plank Rd. Yes, it’s “DD,” Dexter Dunn, who, if all goes according to Hoyle (this may be the Christchurch, NZ native’s big night) makes it two-straight on the card. This lightly-raced McArdle-bred gelding has been, in recent tries, close, but “no cigar”. It may be his night. He went off as the prohibitive 2/5 betting-choice last week, but finished a tiring 3rd. “DD” will need to ration out this guy’s speed. It’s “the Crocodile Man,” from “Down-Under,” Ross Croghan, who conditions this 8-year old. Caveat Emptor: As cited by “Big M” handicapper, Dave Brower, there have been “some steering issues”. If they can apply the transmission fluid...? Others: 6, 5, 9.

Race Eight:

7 Starznheaven gets my nod in the wide-open preferred pace. This Rocknroll Heaven-bred has been razor-sharp. He won last week. A-Nap reprises for trainer Jimmy Nickerson. This horse should be coming on late. Others: 6, 1/1A, 9.

Race Nine:

8 Awesomeness is my pick here. Yes, he moves further from the rail in this start; that’s a concern. But he does have the services of the “Orange Crush,” Andy Miller. Yes, predicted moisture would help this Mach Three-bred bay gelding. Mark Ford owns and trains this Camluck-bred. Others: 3, 4, 6.

Race Ten:

5 Sports Vision has been hot as a petardo. This Dan Morrissey-trainee has reeled off three-straight. Hard to argue with that; yet he is moving up. “The Wolverine,” Eric Carlson (“Hail! To The Conqu’ring Heroes…”), reprises the drive. Others: 8, 2, 9.

Race Eleven:

3 Big Top Hanover. You don’t have to be a circus performer to realize that this A-Nap-driven, Western Ideal-bred gelding, has a chance of getting “the barker,” Ken Warkentin’s final call in this one. This Art Major-bred languished outside in his last, but he now has drawn into a starting spot that says: “Can do!” Vinny Fusco, Jr. trains. Others: 1, 5, 9.

Race Twelve:

7 JK Musician gets my nod. This Brett Pelling-trainee gets a modicum of post position relief. This American Ideal-bred bay horse should relish any moisture on the “Big M” oval. It’s “The Kiwi,” Dexter Dunn, in the bike. I believe this guy should be forwardly placed. Others: 9, 10, 2.

Race Thirteen:

I’m going with “O Captain! My Captain!” The Kentucky Wildcat,” Corey Callahan, and his charge, 5 Betterlatethnever. This Western Terror-bred has faced better. He should fare well on the anticipated wet-track. He is gaining class relief. As George Gershwin once penned, “Who could ask for anything more?” Others: 9, 6, 8.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
bello
Veteran

Thanks Teach,

Always liked your Monti comments. I'll take a look and may join in if I get home in time.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
bello
Veteran

Nice look race 3 Teach!
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply