Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #1
Nitro

Post Rest in Peace TonyS! 11-26-18

Rest in Peace TonyS!

I was just informed that a PA member “AJS” , Tony Sulhoff of Maryland passed away on Mon morning 11/26.

I’m sure many won’t recognize his PA User name because in the 10 years since he registered he never made a single post. Yet, I knew that not only did he communicate with me on many occasions via PM’s he also corresponded with quite a few other PA members over the years. He often mentioned a few of those members as Rook, SteveB, Ted Craven, Magister Ludi, Rabo, and quite few others that at the moment elude my recollection.

He always had kind words for those who corresponded with him. Being a lifetime and very knowledgeable passionate horse player I always enjoyed hearing about his involvement in the game, especially his participation in the tournaments he was involved in many years ago.
As far as I’m concerned he’s left us as a Winner and may he Rest in Peace! My sincere condolences go out to his entire family and relatives.

If anyone is interested in contacting his family they can be reached at r.t.s@comcast.net
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
pandy

Thanks for posting. Tony was a customer of mine and I did correspond with him. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, may he rest in peace.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

So strange...I could have sworn a user named AJS had posted, but you're right, no posts.

My condolences to all who knew him.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Ted Craven

Thanks for posting this Nitro. Our mutual friend alerted me yesterday. Tony was one of a kind. I never met him though I tried last year when I was driving to Assateague State park on the ocean, near Berlin Maryland where he had moved with his son after his wife's passing.

We talked several times a year for maybe 7 or 8 years, at the beginning about horse racing, Sartin and Match Up stuff, his own tote analysis brew, our respective mentors in racing and in life. Later we talked about larger life stuff, spiritual stuff even - who we'd read, who we'd met, what we knew to be true, what we hoped was true.

I know he believed death was not the end, more like a great turning point. I will miss him and I wish him well.

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I got a PM from him back in June 2007.
He shared his workout system with me.
Not sure how we got together, there is only the one PM, but maybe I deleted one.

Anyway, he was very gracious in sharing and a very pleasant person to come across.

RIP, Tony, and thanks!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
thaskalos

He contacted me by private message about a decade ago...and we ended up talking on the phone more than a few times. He was a passionate, knowledgeable horseplayer with a lot to share...but he could not be persuaded to post here because he wasn't the "argumentative type"...he told me. We last spoke about 3 years ago, and he had told me that he was experiencing certain health problems. If I recall correctly...he had mentioned that his wife was going through health problems herself.

Rest In Peace, Tony.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
So strange...I could have sworn a user named AJS had posted,
Me too.

I exchanged PMs with someone years back that fit the description I am seeing: Friendly, knowledgeable and afraid to post.

Does anyone know if he sometimes went by “Tote board Tony”?
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader View Post
Me too.

I exchanged PMs with someone years back that fit the description I am seeing: Friendly, knowledgeable and afraid to post.

I do not know for sure but in multiple PM's from him, which I still have, he spoke of a tote program but never fully described it. It was one of three criteria that he used to play what he described as his favorite bet. The superfecta.

He called in on a radio show once that I was doing and asked about my training schedule for a certain horse. I offered to meet him at the track if he ever wanted to but he said in the PM that he was a real loner at the track and just never did. Too bad. I would have loved the opportunity.

He also told me about not wanting to argue here and boy I can relate to that.

Although we never met face to face, PM'ing back and forth what few times we did, told me a lot about the quality of person he must have been. I'm truly sorry we never met. Friendly, passionate and knowledgeable. A trait that seems harder and harder to find each year.

Rest in peace sir.

And thank you for reaching out to me. It was a pleasure.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader View Post
Me too.

I never heard him use that name, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t. Only because he was thoroughly intrigued for many years by the tote board activities. As far as posting goes, I wouldn’t characterize him as being “afraid to post”. It seemed to me anyway that he just wasn’t a confrontational type of person and didn’t want to get caught up in arguing points related to the game he enjoyed so much.
Although we never met, it was always pleasure exchanging thoughts about the game.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
I never heard him use that name, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t. Only because he was thoroughly intrigued for many years by the tote board activities. As far as posting goes, I wouldn’t characterize him as being “afraid to post”. It seemed to me anyway that he just wasn’t a confrontational type of person and didn’t want to get caught up in arguing points related to the game he enjoyed so much.
Although we never met, it was always pleasure exchanging thoughts about the game.
Thank you. I didn’t like that “afraid to post” and should have changed it.

As I remember it I was looking for feedback for a tote board system that I was working on. He said that he had been a student of the tote board for many years and started offering me some really valuable stuff. I asked why he didn’t respond openly for others to see. He said something like “I don’t like to have my work criticized.” We hit it off immediately.

Later in my thread I said casually that it is unfortunate that others don’t come forward but refrain, for fear of criticism.

The Boss picked up on that and I quickly added “don’t shoot the messenger.”

RIP Tote board Tony. I feel I know you even better now.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: