Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #76
Alwaysonpoint36
loose on the lead

thanks cj
Old 10-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #77
Track Phantom

30 years following racing....without a doubt, the coolest story I've seen in the sport. Absolutely love every part of it.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #78
nearco

Ran without Lasix too.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:28 AM   #79
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
30 years following racing....without a doubt, the coolest story I've seen in the sport. Absolutely love every part of it.
You are soooooooo correct, Valento!

When you have a bit of time, here is the whole fairy-tale story brought to life...enjoy:

http://calltothepost.yuku.com/topic/...y#.VjWiYysl2HE
Old 11-01-2015, 01:31 AM   #80
thaskalos

Quote:
The pomposity with the following is sickening. He forgot to mention what else these "top" trainers do to get the results. I don't disagree with where he is trying to go with this statement but he all but discounts the idea that love, affection, conscientiousness, attention, TLC and whatever else they're doing with Runhappy isn't making a positive impact.

Such a notion, of course, is pure fantasy. Thoroughbred racehorses are better off being in the care of top professionals with extensive knowledge and experience as well as support from the best veterinarians, exercise riders and assistants.
I agree with you, that was an unnecessary shot by Beyer....especially since he has railed plenty against some of these "established trainers" himself.

There is no reason to criticize an owner for wanting his horse to be "loved and properly cared for". More owners should share this sentiment...IMO.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:23 AM   #81
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I agree with you, that was an unnecessary shot by Beyer....especially since he has railed plenty against some of these "established trainers" himself.

There is no reason to criticize an owner for wanting his horse to be "loved and properly cared for". More owners should share this sentiment...IMO.
It's got a "Jerry Maguire" feel to it. One agent, on the ropes, with just one player that will make or break him. And spending all his time with that one player. Finally, the player turns into a superstar.

This story and situation was a bit of a throwback, at least for me. There was a time when I believed all equine accomplishments were absolutely legitimate and not improperly aided. It's been years since I didn't have a bit of doubt when I see something special in racing. In this case, I believe wholeheartedly that everything about it is on the up and up.

As far as that shot by Beyer goes, it really surprises me that he took such an arrogant position. Many of the establishment trainers and vets have sabotaged this game for their own agenda. How can he not appreciate something this special done without the aid of any drug but, instead, with spending all of their time trying to make the horse loved and....(run) happy?
Old 11-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #82
thaskalos

Quote:
It's got a "Jerry Maguire" feel to it. One agent, on the ropes, with just one player that will make or break him. And spending all his time with that one player. Finally, the player turns into a superstar.

This story and situation was a bit of a throwback, at least for me. There was a time when I believed all equine accomplishments were absolutely legitimate and not improperly aided. It's been years since I didn't have a bit of doubt when I see something special in racing. In this case, I believe wholeheartedly that everything about it is on the up and up.

As far as that shot by Beyer goes, it really surprises me that he took such an arrogant position. Many of the establishment trainers and vets have sabotaged this game for their own agenda. How can he not appreciate something this special done without the aid of any drug but, instead, with spending all of their time trying to make the horse loved and....(run) happy?
Beyer's columns have been slipping lately. It looks as if he is just going through the motions...with only brief and infrequent glimces of the witty Beyer of old. Success seems to have spoiled him.

(Hey...if HE can criticize...so can I. )
Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #83
AndyC

Quote:
What was the arrogant position? That horses are not better off being where they are loved as opposed to being under professional care? When a trainer has 5 lifetime wins can you assume that he/she is as competent as a Richard Mandella or Todd Pletcher, etc.? Beyer's column was not a hit piece on the trainer but his questioning of trainer selection was something probably most handicappers also considered. In my handicapping, trainer patterns and competency are big factors.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #84
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
What was the arrogant position? That horses are not better off being where they are loved as opposed to being under professional care? When a trainer has 5 lifetime wins can you assume that he/she is as competent as a Richard Mandella or Todd Pletcher, etc.? Beyer's column was not a hit piece on the trainer but his questioning of trainer selection was something probably most handicappers also considered. In my handicapping, trainer patterns and competency are big factors.
What was the real point that Beyer was trying to make with that comment? That Runhappy's trainer might not be up to the task of winning the BC Sprint?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #85
AndyC

Quote:
What was the real point that Beyer was trying to make with that comment? That Runhappy's trainer might not be up to the task of winning the BC Sprint?
Of course, and that was a legitimate question. He doesn't write for Hallmark.
He is a cynical horseplayer who questions everything. The operative word is "might", he didn't use "couldn't".
Old 11-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #86
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
Of course, and that was a legitimate question. He doesn't write for Hallmark.
He is a cynical horseplayer who questions everything. The operative word is "might", he didn't use "couldn't".
Beyer may indeed be a "cynical horseplayer who questions everything", but Runhappy's trainer has put his own money down, and he has the right to keep his horse "happy and loved"...without having some "cynical horseplayer" describe the plan as mere "fantasizing".
Old 11-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #87
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
...As far as that shot by Beyer goes, it really surprises me that he took such an arrogant position. Many of the establishment trainers and vets have sabotaged this game for their own agenda. How can he not appreciate something this special done without the aid of any drug but, instead, with spending all of their time trying to make the horse loved and....(run) happy?
In spite of Beyer's apparent opposition to drugs in racing, and some of the old time "establishment", the game has not improved in these areas. I'm beginning to think he's as much a part of the arrogant establishment he's supposed to be so critical of - and now part of the problem. Rather than being a friend of the player, perhaps he's simply not wanting to rock the boat and continue to collect his figure fees from the DRF.....
Old 11-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #88
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
In spite of Beyer's apparent opposition to drugs in racing, and some of the old time "establishment", the game has not improved in these areas. I'm beginning to think he's as much a part of the arrogant establishment he's supposed to be so critical of - and now part of the problem. Rather than being a friend of the player, perhaps he's simply not wanting to rock the boat and continue to collect his figure fees from the DRF.....
What is it with regard to drugs that has stayed the same? Legal or illegal drugs? Beyer is not the racing czar so he really isn't in a position to make an executive order and make things go away. His job is to opine on horse racing and issues involving racing. He has never been shy about upsetting the so-called "arrogant establishment".
Old 11-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #89
AndyC

Quote:
Beyer may indeed be a "cynical horseplayer who questions everything", but Runhappy's trainer has put his own money down, and he has the right to keep his horse "happy and loved"...without having some "cynical horseplayer" describe the plan as mere "fantasizing".
So based on the Thaskalos bill of rights, a writer may not opine about what an owner does with his/her horse because they put down their own money. Does this bill of rights also apply to professional sports teams and their owners?
Old 11-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #90
nijinski

Quote:
She was 0 for 22 , before she threw in the towel in her first career attempt.
Maybe this factored into his position IDK .
She has one fine horse now and I wish her the best and she certainly earned it with him.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: