Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #1096
Fox

From what I think I heard the commentator saying, he keeps the record regardless of the DQ.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #1097
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW
Gulfstream just DQ'ed a horse Amapola in race 3 that won by 10 lengths who did next to nothing in the race. Came over coming out of gate which is allowed at most tracks with no DQ. Inconsistent rulings by stewards continue to ruin the sport.
This one looks like a clear safety issue. He clearly comes over on both the an the . The guy almost went down. The problem is its not out of the gate. Like Vic says they'll give you 1-3 strides out of the gate depending on the track but this was about a furlong in.

It's a crappy DQ and they normally give two-year-olds a lot of leeway but my guess is the fact that someone almost got dropped made them make the change. My hunch is the jockey may have thought there was only one horse inside of him and not two.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #1098
overthehill

I dont think the stewards had much choice. the #2 horse looked and was bet like a contender and was completely taken out of the race when the winner came in on the #3 which the #3 reacted to by completely squeezing the #2 out of the race. very bad riding by the rider of the winner who must have known he had a ton of horse under him. the only time i ve seen a horse do what the winner did and not be taken down was bayern in the breeders cup.
overthehill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #1099
johnhannibalsmith

I think I'm ready to gripe about one for once.

I don't get upholding the order of finish in race four at Belmont.

Surely there isn't much debate over whether or not a foul had been committed. The guy drives left-handed across half the width of the turf course right in front of the six, who clearly steadies and isn't grandstanding.

So it didn't affect the order of finish?

Granted, I don't think either the six or the five likely get by the winner at the wire, but the runner-up and third place finisher are running basically in tandem for most of the stretch run and the runner-up is beaten a head. There can be almost no doubt that Franco's move impeded Ortiz and I have to say that it takes some extreme confidence to conclude that he would have never gotten by either horse that finished in front of him with certainty.

Edited - Andy already disagrees.

-Robert James Smith, 1989

Last edited by johnhannibalsmith; 06-03-2016 at 03:22 PM.
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #1100
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
I think I'm ready to gripe about one for once.

I don't get upholding the order of finish in race four at Belmont.

Surely there isn't much debate over whether or not a foul had been committed. The guy drives left-handed across half the width of the turf course right in front of the six, who clearly steadies and isn't grandstanding.

So it didn't affect the order of finish?

Granted, I don't think either the six or the five likely get by the winner at the wire, but the runner-up and third place finisher are running basically in tandem for most of the stretch run and the runner-up is beaten a head. There can be almost no doubt that Franco's move impeded Ortiz and I have to say that it takes some extreme confidence to conclude that he would have never gotten by either horse that finished in front of him with certainty.

Edited - Andy already disagrees.
Believe me, a DQ there would have been GREAT for me, and I can see an argument for it, but overall we are better off as players if in those kinds of situations, the result stands....at least in my opinion.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #1101
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Believe me, a DQ there would have been GREAT for me, and I can see an argument for it, but overall we are better off as players if in those kinds of situations, the result stands....at least in my opinion.
I always root against DQs whenever possible. I just didn't really see the justification there unless you think like us and just don't want to see them. I wouldn't have been surprised if it were at TuP where they DQ'ed maybe a dozen horses in seven months and set the standard early for the required severity. I was glad Franco did what he did because I did not use the six and really thought he had about as much a shot as the five mid-stretch just prior to the foul.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #1102
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
These are such tough calls. I really hope the rider gets fined and/or suspended in these spots. As long as that happens, I think the bettor is, as you say, better off.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #1103
depalma113

The Stewards at Belmont are insane. You cant' DQ the 3 for that. Garbage!
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #1104
whisperlunch

One of the worse dq's ive seen

The 3 did nothing
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #1105
johnhannibalsmith

Different day, different standards. Sorry I missed it live and didn't catch if these guys thought this one affected the order of finish or if a foul results in a DQ today. Maybe they can get Andy, Mig, and Maggie to do that too and then pretty much everything will be just about top notch there.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #1106
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Ortiz bro's bulldozed 2 horses in similar races earlier in the meet. In pocket at 3/16 - 1/8, trying to get out. BOTH were left up. Now, for a much smaller "infraction" we have Jose claiming to get Irad up.

These 2 should be banned from NYRA for the good of the integrity of the game.

If they do nothing wrong, the perception they cause is terrible.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 06-11-2016 at 08:47 PM.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #1107
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperlunch

The 3 did nothing
i didn't see it .. but it must be bad for a guy that has 2 post in 8 yrs to post in this thread
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 02:40 AM   #1108
whisperlunch

Very funny 😂 Actually it did cost me a win bet.
I've been here every day since then just forgot my log in
I entered that free tourney offered by pace and decided to get my log in to thank them.
I grew up very good friends with Jim the hat Bradshaw. When he passed away I just read but never posted.

Peace

Last edited by whisperlunch; 06-12-2016 at 02:43 AM.
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #1109
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Very funny 😂 Actually it did cost me a win bet.
I've been here every day since then just forgot my log in
I entered that free tourney offered by pace and decided to get my log in to thank them.
I grew up very good friends with Jim the hat Bradshaw. When he passed away I just read but never posted.

Peace
Welcome to the posting side Enjoy!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #1110
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:

The 3 did nothing
I had a <small> win and <smaller> place bet on the 3 in the 12th at Belmont yesterday, and I saw him "make room" to get out in the stretch during the live running of the race. I switched the video feed to another track, and was not surprised to see the inq/obj in progress when I switched back.

It was definitely not in the category of an "easy" call IMHO and it did take about 10-12 mins or so, but per the rules of North American racing a case could be made for costing the 1 a placing. I've seen worse calls, and more ticky tack ones, but the poor resolution of the online video made it difficult for me to tell exactly how much interference occurred.

What I did come away with was:

- the 3 was the best horse in the race, as far as the finish goes
- the ruling required assumptions to be made on the effect of the contact between the horses, which appeared to be initiated by the 3, but then the 1 bumped back too
- in Australia or Hong Kong, there would NOT have been an inquiry, and most likely not even an objection

About a month ago I got DQ'ed at GG with a 19-1 shot in the last race, and I thought that was worse than this one, but I know that betting in North America is risky - where every race is in the hands (and minds) of the stewards for their interpretation of the outcome....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply