Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #16
Inner Dirt

Rest in Peace. I remember seeing her in the Blues Brothers movie, can't believe that was almost 40 years ago.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
Ocala Mike

"Saying a little prayer" for her. RIP.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
MutuelClerk

I've lived in Detroit and the metro area most of my life. I had the chance to meet Aretha once about thirty years ago, a little after Blues Brothers was released. I had worked Hazel Park and went to a party with a friend after work. Tons of people at this party I overindulged and like many crashed on the floor and slept it off for awhile. I woke up in a strangers house and took off feeling like crap. After driving about 20 minutes I was on Woodward Ave, hungry, thirsty I saw a donut place. I went in, ordered a couple of donuts and milks to go. Looking around the place there she was in a booth all alone. I asked one of the people working there is that Aretha? They said yes, i walked over to her and she couldn't have been nicer. Told her I loved her voice, loved the Blues Brothers. That was my chance encounter with greatness. I haven't had a donut in awhile, but I think in memory of one of the greatest voices of all time that will be breakfast tomorrow.

RIP Re re
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #19
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Amazing woman that lived an amazing life.

And she could sing like it was nobodies business.

RIP Aretha
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #20
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
I've lived in Detroit and the metro area most of my life. I had the chance to meet Aretha once about thirty years ago, a little after Blues Brothers was released. I had worked Hazel Park and went to a party with a friend after work. Tons of people at this party I overindulged and like many crashed on the floor and slept it off for awhile. I woke up in a strangers house and took off feeling like crap. After driving about 20 minutes I was on Woodward Ave, hungry, thirsty I saw a donut place. I went in, ordered a couple of donuts and milks to go. Looking around the place there she was in a booth all alone. I asked one of the people working there is that Aretha? They said yes, i walked over to her and she couldn't have been nicer. Told her I loved her voice, loved the Blues Brothers. That was my chance encounter with greatness. I haven't had a donut in awhile, but I think in memory of one of the greatest voices of all time that will be breakfast tomorrow.

RIP Re re
I think a donut for breakfast tomorrow morning would be appropiate. I will do the same. RIP Aretha.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #21
Inner Dirt

Watched a documentary on her last night, it said that appearance in the Blues Brothers movie revived her career, as it introduced her to a whole new generation of fans. It mentioned that disco was all the rage when that movie came out. I admittedly hit some discos in that era, but I didn't need a movie to know who Aretha Franklin was.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 08-17-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #22
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

All recording artists issue "Greatest Hits " albums. Usually 4 or 5 real hits, the rest of the songs just fill, but all of her hits were truly 'Great" !
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply