Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-25-2024, 04:21 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Intend to have patio and pergola put in this spring/summer. Want sufficient space for large grill, enough (outdoor) furniture to seat, maybe, 4 or 5 people, and a firepit.

Have been told firepit should not locate under roof-thus plan to put it adjacent to pergola.

Also informed by experts that NObody does backyard patios in concrete these days..only pavers..which appear more attractive to me, anyway.

Am struggling to decide on size and whether to purchase pergola kit, or have dude who built my house construct custom structure-which he says is a specialty and he has done many x...

Wondering if anybody here has been through this? Firepit should be propane, right?..since running natural gas line too expensive and burning wood too "grizzly adams"....??
I’ve done all of that over the years and owning 10 different houses. I think pergola’s are a waist of money. Here in Texas I built one and decided it wasn’t providing enough shade. In WV-Ohio it might be right but on really hot days…they are useless

Fire pit definitely outside the roof-pergola. I had a pergola with some plastic parts. Damn near caught the pergola on fire. Melted the plastic over time. I have had wood and propane fire pits. Propane is less work-lights right up and you don’t have to “tend to it”

My wife and I have had pavers and concrete. It depends on how stable your ground is. If it’s gonna sink-move around at all…go with concrete. Uneven pavers look like crap and can cause sprained ankles (don’t ask how I know) outdoor rugs on concrete allow for changing it up every couple years.

Concrete also means you can redesign later and it will hold heavy objects like a hot tub. I recommend you spend a little more and put a real roof over it. Pergola’s start to break down over time and can hurt resale value. A nice little roof allows you to sit out in the rain too….which I like to do.

I have a covered patio built into my house now with a nice 4 person Hot tub and a concrete floor. A fire pit on the 4 x 14 lip that protrudes out into the yard. Concrete holds up to our dogs very well and can be sprayed off with a hose or power washed. Pavers can change color over time

Just my .02

Last edited by JustRalph; 02-25-2024 at 04:26 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2024, 04:44 PM   #17
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’ve done all of that over the years and owning 10 different houses. I think pergola’s are a waist of money. Here in Texas I built one and decided it wasn’t providing enough shade. In WV-Ohio it might be right but on really hot days…they are useless

Fire pit definitely outside the roof-pergola. I had a pergola with some plastic parts. Damn near caught the pergola on fire. Melted the plastic over time. I have had wood and propane fire pits. Propane is less work-lights right up and you don’t have to “tend to it”

My wife and I have had pavers and concrete. It depends on how stable your ground is. If it’s gonna sink-move around at all…go with concrete. Uneven pavers look like crap and can cause sprained ankles (don’t ask how I know) outdoor rugs on concrete allow for changing it up every couple years.

Concrete also means you can redesign later and it will hold heavy objects like a hot tub. I recommend you spend a little more and put a real roof over it. Pergola’s start to break down over time and can hurt resale value. A nice little roof allows you to sit out in the rain too….which I like to do.

I have a covered patio built into my house now with a nice 4 person Hot tub and a concrete floor. A fire pit on the 4 x 14 lip that protrudes out into the yard. Concrete holds up to our dogs very well and can be sprayed off with a hose or power washed. Pavers can change color over time

Just my .02
Great info. Was using "pergola" as catch-all term for patio roof. Really want sturdy and somewhat classy wooden roof constructed..support beams and all....maybe even with cedar posts to match my front porch pillars..backyard gets soggy, so you definitely have me considering concrete...

the thing is..whatever I do..I always go overboard..and enhancing the property is for sure a factor..
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2024, 04:46 PM   #18
ElKabong

Quote:
I have 1.5 acres, but no trees to cut. It's not that kind of property. By "work" I meant stocking and storing wood, and getting the stuff to burn. Also, I suppose cleaning the ashes out would be part of the process?
Good point on cleaning out the ashes. When I burn branches, logs etc I put them (fully burned and cold) in a wheel barrel and spread around the yard. Takes 5 minutes at the most tbh. It's good fertilizer

The wood I can burn is strictly off the trees that fall to the ground, I don't cut any down. I store and stack off to the side of the property. Your property is almost twice the size of mine, if there are downed large branches, etc it makes for great wood for a firepit.

You'll like that firepit, esp if you can get it on that patio.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2024, 05:05 PM   #19
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Just my .02
Cool info, JR

What I've noticed here in deep east tx is we have way more cloudy days / hours than we did in DFW. The pergola works most of the time for us + I string lights on it. The grills are off to the edge of the deck, nowhere near the lights of course.

Right now my wife and I are having a raging debate over whether or not to build a covering over the grills to give shade on sunny days over 95*. Her design would include small openings for ventilation for the grills but I just can't see it adding to the "look". She's been right 100 percent of the time on this stuff so far, so we might give it a go. Either way it's cool having that deck and kitchen. I chip and pitch golf balls off a mat, then tend to the grill or sink. Rinse, repeat until the food is done.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
Old 02-25-2024, 05:15 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Definitely NOT a diy guy..I work..workout..bet horses..help keep the house..do some writing..and golf..that's it..lol..

but i do have "Saint" Lucy Hernandez..jack of all trades extraordinaire..and made lots of connections when having the house built..

The house DOES have natural gas..btw..

You workout and play golf, two things I can no longer do at 63 because of multiple back surgeries. I envy you! In spite of that I can DIY, of course at slow speed, but the job looks better and cheaper than hired out. I am in the process of re-plumbing, rewiring my house, and fixing the poor footing work that has caused moisture to get in the house and cause mold. I learned by doing and just buying books, long before Al Gore invented the internet.

I can do most construction trades at a high level, the only thing I have not done is large scale cement finishing, only small projects. Considering that I would say You Tube is a great place to learn, except about electricity for some reason, you have people posting crap that would get a person a nasty shock or electrocuted and dead.

If anyone here has a question on an electrical project, just ask me, I am more than willing to help. I can send you pictures of my work and custom designs that work to prove I know what I am talking about.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2024, 05:25 PM   #21
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
You workout and play golf, two things I can no longer do at 63 because of multiple back surgeries. I envy you! In spite of that I can DIY, of course at slow speed, but the job looks better and cheaper than hired out. I am in the process of re-plumbing, rewiring my house, and fixing the poor footing work that has caused moisture to get in the house and cause mold. I learned by doing and just buying books, long before Al Gore invented the internet.

I can do most construction trades at a high level, the only thing I have not done is large scale cement finishing, only small projects. Considering that I would say You Tube is a great place to learn, except about electricity for some reason, you have people posting crap that would get a person a nasty shock or electrocuted and dead.

If anyone here has a question on an electrical project, just ask me, I am more than willing to help. I can send you pictures of my work and custom designs that work to prove I know what I am talking about.
You're right about the cost and quality of diy over contractors. We spent $1400 in materials for our deck a year ago, the lowest bid we got was 18k. Our deck is way better built than the ones in the neighborhood that paid contractors. Way better.

My wife's dad was a diy guy to the max, he taught her how to run saws, wire a bldg etc when she was a kid. She has a grasp of it all but still goes to youtube for info on design and build. She's 115* so the physical part is mine and the stepson's domain.

It's not for everyone and I understand that. But on large projects you can save a lot of $ and have a better deck/ patio/ storage bldg etc if you can do it yourself.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:16 PM   #22
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I love poking and stoking a properly sized backyard fire, constantly fiddling with the venting and the embers, laying on new wood, watching bugs scramble...so a gas flame does nothing for a lifetime pyro like me.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2024, 01:48 PM   #23
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
You're right about the cost and quality of diy over contractors. We spent $1400 in materials for our deck a year ago, the lowest bid we got was 18k. Our deck is way better built than the ones in the neighborhood that paid contractors. Way better.

My wife's dad was a diy guy to the max, he taught her how to run saws, wire a bldg etc when she was a kid. She has a grasp of it all but still goes to youtube for info on design and build. She's 115* so the physical part is mine and the stepson's domain.

It's not for everyone and I understand that. But on large projects you can save a lot of $ and have a better deck/ patio/ storage bldg etc if you can do it yourself.

The best DIY woman I ever knew was a 5'9" 170# lesbian I met at an OTB.
She was a quick learner, best construction assistant I ever had. I even taught her how to box and she picked it up faster than any man I trained.

I did that to teach people a self defense skill. I swear if she wasn't already
in her early 40's I would have suggested she took up pro boxing.

Sad to admit, I used to have the strength of 3 men, but spinal cord injuries turned me into a 98# weakling. Deb the girl was the muscle, I was the brains.

At the time I had a house I needed to finish a remodel as I had already bought another one. Then my mother died and her house needed electrical repairs badly just to fire sale it.

We took turns helping each other as Deb lived in her girlfriend's I believe she later married house that probably should have been knocked down. They kept paying a local handyman to patch their roof over the kitchen area. I told Tina the whole roof over the kitchen needs replaced. She said that would be too expensive. I said it would not as I will donate the shingles and tar paper I had left over from re-roofing my house and garage. All Tina needs to do is pay for a half dozen sheets of OSB or plywood. She then said that is a job for a professional and said no.

Deb and I plotted to re roof the kitchen under the cover of darkness. She gave me the money and told me to buy what was needed. She feigned not feeling well and told Tina she wanted to stay home instead of doing the Sunday usual of hanging out at the OTB. Tina goes to the OTB alone and Deb calls me to bring the roofing supplies. The demo went quick and as we were about to put down the last sheet of plywood Tina shows up.

Tina did not suspect we were going to fix her roof behind her back, she suspected I was trying to steal her girlfriend and get her to switch sides.
That was the first time she left the sports book before the last race.

She was hysterical being able to stand in the kitchen and see the sky.
I kept telling her it will be fine and she can even use the garden house to water the roof and check for leaks. Because of the ensuing domestic squabble, of which I would have much rather bailed, I was forced to finish the job without my right hand woman.

I swear Deb was the best friend I ever had, but her girlfriend was jealous of our relationship because we spent so much time together. She forced her to chose, him or me. I will admit I never even had any impure thoughts
about trying to convert her until I saw her in a wet T-shirt with no bra
when she jumped in a backyard pool to cool off.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:17 PM   #24
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I love poking and stoking a properly sized backyard fire, constantly fiddling with the venting and the embers, laying on new wood, watching bugs scramble...so a gas flame does nothing for a lifetime pyro like me.
I love the smell and ambiance of wood. The biggest downside to me believe it or not is the uneven heating. At times when it's roaring it's to hot to sit near, and 20 minutes later the fire is not nearly as robust and you can feel the chill. Propane is mundane but given even heating.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2024, 02:34 PM   #25
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Damn! You did a $18k patio job for $1400? I used to figure 3-5X material cost for hiring out construction jobs unless it was electrical. You have a 115# wife

who rocks at DIY, and an ambitious step son. That is quite the combo, stop bragging, I am more than envious,.... some men have all the luck.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:02 PM   #26
ElKabong

Quote:
Damn! You did a $18k patio job for $1400? I used to figure 3-5X material cost for hiring out construction jobs unless it was electrical. You have a 115# wife

who rocks at DIY, and an ambitious step son. That is quite the combo, stop bragging, I am more than envious,.... some men have all the luck.
The stepson (and my grand daughter, who is the light of my life) lives with us. I'll be glad when he's gone. He graduates from SFA next fall thankfully. Wife and I want some peace and quiet.
But we'll miss our grand daughter!

Wife is as girly girl as it gets. Dresses , talks, walks, acts like a woman. Can cook better than any woman I've met. Started a large chess business on the side long before i met her, we turned it into the largest chess instruction, tournament, camp combine in North Texas prior to covid.

Has her faults like anyone but I consider myself lucky.

But she amazes neighbors with her ability to run a saw. Almost every man here in the neighborhood knows how to DIY, hunt, fish, etc. She's been asked for pointers often since our deck went up.

I need to ask her again what we spent at McCoys for materials on that deck. 1400$ is what I recall. I do know this, post covid the contractors have quoted ridiculous amounts for work. I'm no diy guy, but I can lift and take directions. I wasn't about to pay about 20k for a deck that a team could be done eith in 3 days.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:48 PM   #27
Inner Dirt

Quote:
The stepson (and my grand daughter, who is the light of my life) lives with us. I'll be glad when he's gone. He graduates from SFA next fall thankfully. Wife and I want some peace and quiet.

Wife is as girly girl as it gets. Dresses , talks, walks, acts like a woman. Can cook better than any woman I've met. Started a large chess business on the side long before i met her, we turned it into the largest chess instruction, tournament, camp combine in North Texas prior to covid.

But she amazes neighbors with her ability to run a saw. Almost every man here in the neighborhood knows how to DIY, hunt, fish, etc. She's been asked for pointers often since our deck went up.

I need to ask her again what we spent at McCoys for materials on that deck. 1400$ is what I recall. I do know this, post covid the contractors have quoted ridiculous amounts for work. I'm no diy guy, but I can lift and take directions. I wasn't about to pay about 20k for a deck that a team could be done eith in 3 days.

Like I said, stop bragging. The perfect women I met told me

she found male body parts unattractive.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:11 PM   #28
ElKabong

Quote:
Like I said, stop bragging. The perfect women I met told me

she found male body parts unattractive.
My wife isn't perfect. That's for sure . Neither am I so....

Just talked about the cost of the deck, she remembered barely over 1k. I'm pretty sure it was around 1400. Either way we saved a ton. My back issues notwithstanding.

Also, the deck is 32x12, not 32x16' as I posted. Bought 12' lengths

Last edited by ElKabong; 02-26-2024 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:39 PM   #29
mountainman

Quote:
You workout and play golf, two things I can no longer do at 63 because of multiple back surgeries. I envy you!
Very sorry to hear that. At 66 my golf game has dropped off a bit, but in the gym I am stronger than ever. When I follow much younger beastly dudes onto an apparatus, I rarely need to reduce the weight.

Since it was sunny and 65 here today, I spurned Mahoning and hit the links with two pals. Let's just say pars and birdies were scarce, but my day got a lot better when I came off the course and pulled up race results. Having prepared last night in plans of wagering today, I can say for certain that I saved money by hitting the links.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:01 PM   #30
mountainman

Quote:

"Girly girls" are invariably the toughest and most physically capable. When I was younger, I saw several chick fights break out and each encounter, for whatever reason, involved a demure, extremely feminine female throwing down, after considerable taunting and provocation, with a more aggressive and masculine gal who looked 1/9.

I would have lost those wagers because in each instance the girly girl CLEANED UP on the swaggering manly chick.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-26-2024 at 07:07 PM.