Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Kash$
Veteran

Doug Pederson hired by Eagles

Good hire im sure Reid has some positive input on Pederson
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
I have to assume that the old rule of teams not being able to interview coaches whose teams are still in the playoffs is no longer in force.I know the coaches were frustrated that if their team went to the Super Bowl, most teams couldn't afford to wait that extra month and they often lost the plum jobs that were available.
That being said, I don't think the Eagle job at this time is one of those plums. I think Kelly gummed up this team for at least this upcoming year.The Chiefs under Reid are pretty conservative offensively, they went 21 straight games, including the entire 2014 season without a wide receiver TD.Team will need a significant makeover, fortunately the NFC East is a weak sister .

Last edited by barahona44; 01-14-2016 at 10:00 PM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
ManU918

Not sure how anyone can have an opinion on this hire. What exactly does anyone have to base off this decision? Pederson doesn't even call the plays for the Chiefs. So he's an offensive coordinator by name but not by responsibility. And to touch on Barahona's point what kind of OC doesn't get a touchdown out of a WR for an entire season?

People who didn't like Chip shouldn't like this hire. Chip was taking heat in the other thread because his lack of head coaching experience. The only team Pederson was ever the head coach of was a high school squad. At least Kelly had experience coaching an elite program at the D1 level and he was in charge of play calling prior to taking over as the head guy.

I don't hate the hire because out of everyone the Eagles interviewed I liked Pederson the most but in saying that I thought they should have at least interviewed Shula, McDermott, McDaniels and Lovie.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 12:27 AM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

It's hard to see that the coaching has been upgraded here. Almost like they are pulling a 'tomasula' and sabotaging next season so they can get the first pick and take the kid from Clemson.

Last edited by Stillriledup; 01-15-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
Not sure how anyone can have an opinion on this hire. What exactly does anyone have to base off this decision? Pederson doesn't even call the plays for the Chiefs. So he's an offensive coordinator by name but not by responsibility. And to touch on Barahona's point what kind of OC doesn't get a touchdown out of a WR for an entire season?

People who didn't like Chip shouldn't like this hire. Chip was taking heat in the other thread because his lack of head coaching experience. The only team Pederson was ever the head coach of was a high school squad. At least Kelly had experience coaching an elite program at the D1 level and he was in charge of play calling prior to taking over as the head guy.

I don't hate the hire because out of everyone the Eagles interviewed I liked Pederson the most but in saying that I thought they should have at least interviewed Shula, McDermott, McDaniels and Lovie.
From what I heard after the Chiefs went 1-5,Andy turned the play calling over to Pederson
From AP

Pederson arrived in Kansas City as the offensive coordinator primarily by title, since Reid prefers to call his own plays. But Reid acknowledged earlier this season that Pederson has started to share more of that burden, helping to prepare him for a head coaching opportunity

Last edited by upthecreek; 01-15-2016 at 06:18 AM.
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
tucker6

I am not a Chip Kelly fan, but if I was an Eagles fan, I'd be scratching my head to see how this is an upgrade. The Eagles were really in love with Coughlin, and when jilted at the altar, hired Pederson only 8 hours later. Honestly, this looks like a placeholder hire until something better comes along and to get the Eagles back into the mainstream type of offense. I wish Pederson well nevertheless.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
From what I heard after the Chiefs went 1-5,Andy turned the play calling over to Pederson
From AP

Pederson arrived in Kansas City as the offensive coordinator primarily by title, since Reid prefers to call his own plays. But Reid acknowledged earlier this season that Pederson has started to share more of that burden, helping to prepare him for a head coaching opportunity
Pederson has not called one play this season.

Again if you're not calling the offensive plays as an offensive coordinator what exactly are you doing? It's not as if he is Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator... Dave Curley holds the title of Assistant Head Coach.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
upthecreek

Quote:
Pederson has not called one play this season.

Again if you're not calling the offensive plays as an offensive coordinator what exactly are you doing? It's not as if he is Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator... Dave Curley holds the title of Assistant Head Coach.
Well I guess the guys on Fox,Football Night in America and local sportscaster's are wrong and you're right
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
Well I guess the guys on Fox,Football Night in America and local sportscaster's are wrong and you're right
Reid has spoken publicly about this. He calls the plays. The only time that Pederson calls the plays is when Reid feels like he is in a slump and he gives Pederson a couple plays to call then takes back over...

I'd love to see references from the sources you provided because here is the truth out of Reid's mouth. Watch the video...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article48908340.html
Old 01-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Reid has spoken publicly about this. He calls the plays. The only time that Pederson calls the plays is when Reid feels like he is in a slump and he gives Pederson a couple plays to call then takes back over...

I'd love to see references from the sources you provided because here is the truth out of Reid's mouth. Watch the video...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...e48908340.html
Manu do they keep Bradford or draft a qb?
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash$
Manu do they keep Bradford or draft a qb?
You didn't ask me, but my feeling is that Bradford is a bottom third starting qb in the NFL with middle third salary. I don't think he gets better than middle third at any point in his career, and so his upside is limited. As we see in the playoffs, middle and bottom tier qb's don't cut it. I'd roll the dice on a new guy unless Lurie doesn't think Peterson is his ultimate guy. I think we'll know a lot about the Eagles situation when we see how they handle the qb position.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Deviating somewhat from the main topic here, when was the last time a Big 12 qb actually made a long-term...not even long-term, maybe medium-turn...impact on an NFL team? Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Bradford, RGIII, Blaine Gabbert, Weedon or any other OSU guy, anyone from Leach's TexTech teams....I might be missing someone obviously good enough to be an exception to this, but I don't know who it would be.

Exhibit A in the assertion that they don't play much defense in that conference.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
Deviating somewhat from the main topic here, when was the last time a Big 12 qb actually made a long-term...not even long-term, maybe medium-turn...impact on an NFL team? Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Bradford, RGIII, Blaine Gabbert, Weedon or any other OSU guy, anyone from Leach's TexTech teams....I might be missing someone obviously good enough to be an exception to this, but I don't know who it would be.

Exhibit A in the assertion that they don't play much defense in that conference.

Sammy Baugh?
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
ebcorde
Veteran

this tells me

Laurie regrets firing Andy and Bradford is okay with former QB Petersen
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #15
upthecreek

Pederson can fix Eagles

http://insidetheiggles.com/2016/01/1...elphia-eagles/