Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
Blenheim
Race Player

Master Fencer Stumbles During Breeze: X-Rays

Master Fencer Workout Video 5/29

Master Fencer Stumbles in Belmont Stakes Breeze

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
FenceBored

Quote:
Numamoto said X-rays of both of Master Fencer’s front ankles did not show anything wrong. Asked how the inflammation was reduced, Numamoto said “Just icing, simple.”
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/48180-ma...rything-s-good
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Suff
Beat up 💪

Man I like that. White Wraps on all his legs really lets you see the stride.

Powerful.

When whip went right to left he corrects towards the whip side and seems to brush the rail.

A Pretty Animal. Really nice.

Last edited by Suff; 05-30-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

If for some reason, you 'love' Master Fencer, I wouldn't be discouraged by this misstep. It's even possible that it will help/increase his odds a bit.

Japan races both clockwise and (us-style) 'counter-clockwise'. I recall MF having a lead change issue in a counter-clockwise Japanese prep, but not in the Kentucky Derby.

Looks like he didn't want to change leads in this work, yet the rider forced the issue. Regardless, his stretch-run should be fine, it's whether or not he has tactical speed and/or a great setup.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
LemonSoupKid

I don't see why I should move way from him at this point, I agree, it might just give me a better price than I would have gotten otherwise (but I'm mostly horizontals, so we shall see)
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #6
boys at tosconova

i didn't like work visually. not very fluid

and it looks like it's more than a breeze. whip out and all.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
boys at tosconova

his derby race was very credible and sharp

2nd to last early he moved up racing wide at the half and continued to race wide until the end of the race passing many horses along to way to finish 7th only losing by 4L

i'm very shocked he ran as well as he did.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
He didn't change leads today. Is he in pain or is he on his natural lead?

Old 06-05-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
clicknow

I think that's how he stumbed in the first place. 10 or so racecourses under the control of the JRA include both left and right-handed courses. The courses that run counter-clockwise are Tokyo, Chukyo, and Niigata Racecourses. The other racecourses all run clockwise. I think his rider tried to get him to change leads and tapped him a little too hard when he stumbled?

You're going to run into this any time horses come from Australia, Japan, England, etc. where the courses are mixed left handed and right handed. We only run in one direction.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
...I recall MF having a lead change issue in a counter-clockwise Japanese prep, but not in the Kentucky Derby.
Happened to see the Kentucky Derby stretch run again since that post (perhaps in the NYRA preview?), and he did in fact also initially fail to change leads during that strong run, but then changed while in traffic.

His footwork isn't really an issue, as his strength is his stretch-running (regardless of whether he changes lead), but mannnn what a horrible ML value he makes up!

Wow.

He's 8/1 ml and 3rd choice, and is maybe the 9th most likely winner.

I don't have an opinion about whether that is a terrible ml, or an accurate ml, - only that it poorly represents his ballpark chances of winning the race. Very much caught me by surprise, with a horse who isn't very good, but was mildly interesting as a long-shot extotic filler (He does have a puncher's chance of filling out an exacta, tri, or super (along with basically everyone else.)).

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 06-05-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #11
Wabash

Quote:
Happened to see the Kentucky Derby stretch run again since that post (perhaps in the NYRA preview?), and he did in fact also initially fail to change leads during that strong run, but then changed while in traffic.

His footwork isn't really an issue, as his strength is his stretch-running (regardless of whether he changes lead), but mannnn what a horrible ML value he makes up!

Wow.

I don't have an opinion about whether that is a terrible ml, or an accurate ml, - only that it poorly represents his ballpark chances of winning the race. Very much caught me by surprise, with a horse who isn't very good, but was mildly interesting as a long-shot extotic filler (He does have a puncher's chance of filling out an exacta, tri, or super (along with basically everyone else.)).
“a horse who isn’t very good”.

Really? Based on what? He just ran 6th in the Derby within a half length of both Game Winner(2 year old champion) and Tacitus, the favorite here. Maybe you think those 2 aren’t very good either. I agree 8-1ML was a surprise to me also but I already have a future wager at 15-1 so I got my value on him.
Wabash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #12
boys at tosconova

Quote:

Wow.

its ez to look at the body of work and not be impressed and toss here. chalk up the derby to some luck and other things. it just seems it came from left field, but he still did it, and it was good race.

i really don't know where i am with him.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:11 AM   #13
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova View Post
i really don't know where i am with him.
I feel similarly. I never know what to do with his kind of breeding either.
I was thinking of using him in 3rd place.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #14
clicknow

Quote:
(along with basically everyone else.)
The overall nature of The Belmont, but esp. moreso this year. Very open race. I would not discount anyone's picks because so many have a shot to win this.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: