Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #421
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Andy you know I think you do a lot of good things and I admire your fight for us horseplayers. But I think Byk and Bianca are being unfairly targeted here. Full disclosure, I've known Byk for over 10 years...but we have not spoken in a few years so this is not me sticking up for a friend. He and I don't really see eye to eye on the state of the game.

At no point in that segment everyone is flipping out over did either guy even mention Keeneland or the takeout increase. They were talking about Equestricon.

I can see why the "if the game is too hard leave" statement bothers people and I think it was poorly said. But it was not in reference to the takeout increase.

I think Byk has a forum to fight for horseplayers more and would like to see that, but I also understand why he doesn't. But I can say without a doubt Byk is a good guy. He's not the enemy here. Keeneland is.
My experience with him has been much different but I respect your opinion of him.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #422
Andy Asaro

Old 08-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #423
JustRalph
Just another Facist

On Steve Byk. How could anybody bash him? I don't get it. As far as I can tell, he's not getting rich doing what he's doing. And he's been pounding out that show forever.

Putting on that production is tough stuff. He's a well educated guy who could probably be making a ton more money doing something else. Instead he's working inside a game that's falling apart around him. He's got the looks and talent to be a news guy on any network etc. yet he covers horse racing like it's still the number one game in the country instead of working someplace else.

He is a little New York centric, but that's his game. I'd guess that's one thing that might put some off. But Christ! He's like a fireman standing inside a burning building telling everyone things are going to be ok, while the burning rafters fall down around him.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #424
Andy Asaro

Horseraceinsider on Keeneland Boycott, HANA......................

http://www.horseraceinsider.com/Play...ible/#comments
Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #425
Andy Asaro

Billy Koch of Little Red Feather Racing will have Bob Elliston of Keeneland on his show tomorrow (Tuesday) at 12:15 Pacific Time.

http://latalkradio.com/content/horse...hip-experience

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 08-21-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #426
Andy Asaro

Bob Elliston, Keeneland’s VP to respond to Ken Ramsey's "boycott Keeneland" message TODAY at NOON Pacific Time.

http://latalkradio.com/content/horse...hip-experience

Tuesdays at 12:00PM (PST)

Billy Koch was first introduced to the world of horse racing when he was six years old. In fact, his family claims he learned to read by reading the Racing Form. His grandfather, the late Hollywood legend Howard W. Koch (Airplane, Ghost), owned Telly’s Pop with partner Telly Savalas (Kojak). Telly’s Pop won the two-year-old California Triple Crown that year and once they wrapped the winner’s circle flowers around Billy, he was hooked.
After graduating from Northwestern University, Billy put together partnerships with friends and became convinced sharing the experience of horse racing was more rewarding than owning alone. Named for a fictitious Indian Chief who was the centerpiece of his grandfather’s bedtime stories, Billy founded Little Red Feather in 2002 with one horse, Spoonman.
Currently, the Little Red Feather Racing Club is the largest horse racing syndicate in California with over 300 active investors. The partnership’s Grade I winning filly, Egg Drop, sold last year at the Keeneland September sale for a whopping $1.9M. Billy lives with his wife, Kathy and their three sons in Woodland Hills, CA.TE(S):
billy@littldfeather.com

Michelle Yu has been a life long horse lover who has turned her passion into a career. A railbird at a young age, Yu idolized Charlsie Canty and knew that someday she wanted to be able to talk horses. At 22, she moved to Kentucky and attended school at the University of Louisville. She played polo for U of L and also worked on the backside for various trainers. The highlight of gigs was surely a summer with the Asmussen barn at Saratoga when Curlin was en route to Horse of the Year honors. While in Kentucky, Yu worked for TVG as a production assistant, field producer and then contributor. A full time job offer brought her back to California where she served as a host and analyst. After several years at TVG, Yu branched out to work for Fox covering football but returned to racing as the simulcast co host for Santa Anita. Yu is also in heavy rotation on HRTV as a host and analyst and also serves as the simulcast host for Los Alamitos Thoroughbred racing. She has been a part of the Breeders Cup social segments and world feed and is living out her childhood dreams.

Yu resides in Orange County, Ca with her husband, their dogs and of course, horses.
themichelleyu@gmail.com

SHOW TIME:
Tuesday 12:00PM - 12:59PM(PST)

Show Description:
On The Horse Ownership Experience, discover everything you’ve wanted to know about horse racing ownership. Join Billy Koch, Founder and Managing Partner of the Little Red Feather Racing Club, and HRTV Analyst Michelle Yu as they discuss the secrets to becoming an owner in the Sport of Kings. OWN IT!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #427
GMB@BP

That had to be hard for Kee to hear such a prominent owner and support of racing just slam them and basically state never to get into this game.

Its one thing to hear the people they are taking the money complain but its another to hear someone who is getting the money say its a stupid idea.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #428
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
That had to be hard for Kee to hear such a prominent owner and support of racing just slam them and basically state never to get into this game.

Its one thing to hear the people they are taking the money complain but its another to hear someone who is getting the money say its a stupid idea.
Nothing like a little truth talking by someone who is as high profile as Ken Ramsey. Definitely a Hall of Fame Interview and Hall of Fame responses.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #429
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Nothing like a little truth talking by someone who is as high profile as Ken Ramsey. Definitely a Hall of Fame Interview and Hall of Fame responses.
Not to take his comments out of context, but does this mean Ken Ramsey (the horseplayer) won't be betting Keeneland? Hard to verify.

Does this mean that Ken Ramsey (the owner) won't be starting any horses at Keeneland? Easy to verify.

Let's watch what he does versus just "talk" before we get in line to slap him on the back...
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #430
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post

NEVER trust racetrack management. Horseplayers cannot be altruistic towards tracks and expect to get the same in return.

Horseplayers need to hear the message that the racetracks are sending loud and clear: "Horseplayers are milk cows and degenerate gamblers that are too stupid to understand or care about the takeout."

Horseplayers need to send their own message loud and clear: "If your racetrack is going to survive it is going to be without my money."
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #431
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Not to take his comments out of context, but does this mean Ken Ramsey (the horseplayer) won't be betting Keeneland? Hard to verify.

Does this mean that Ken Ramsey (the owner) won't be starting any horses at Keeneland? Easy to verify.

Let's watch what he does versus just "talk" before we get in line to slap him on the back...
No idea. His going on the record the way he did is having the biggest impact I've ever seen to get people motivated to boycott. Now all we need is HANA to step up and not hide behind playersboycott.org. HANA can write press releases that have to be covered and www.playersboycott.org doesn't. Big difference.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #432
Andy Asaro

The site crashed for me. Oh well, gotta wait for archives

Got it now.

Then there's this

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 08-22-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #433
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
No idea. His going on the record the way he did is having the biggest impact I've ever seen to get people motivated to boycott. Now all we need is HANA to step up and not hide behind playersboycott.org. HANA can write press releases that have to be covered and www.playersboycott.org doesn't. Big difference.
Well, as a player who's not part of HANA, and who hasn't participated in other organized boycotts, Ramsey's comments haven't motivated me one bit. There's an element of extortion to an organized boycott, IMHO. I don't bet Illinois racing after being jerked around by the politicians and horsemen, but I don't feel compelled to sway others to join me. HANA provides other benefits outside of boycotts, to which I am grateful, but their past support of boycotts is what keeps me from wanting to join them.

Listened to some of the interview Bob Elliston. Some good questions from the hosts. Don't agree with Elliston's justification that raising takeout to "bring them inline" with other circuits. You can't say "Keeneland is different" (which it is) in one breath, and then act to make it like other tracks in another.

I agreed with his comment that takeout "is one of many variables", and that their goal is to maintain a better product. Time will tell if that holds out in a sport that's contracting, but to support and participate in a boycott solely for a takeout raise is rather simple-minded and a knee-jerk reaction.

They still have the best steak in town....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #434
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Well, as a player who's not part of HANA, and who hasn't participated in other organized boycotts, Ramsey's comments haven't motivated me one bit. There's an element of extortion to an organized boycott, IMHO. I don't bet Illinois racing after being jerked around by the politicians and horsemen, but I don't feel compelled to sway others to join me. HANA provides other benefits outside of boycotts, to which I am grateful, but their past support of boycotts is what keeps me from wanting to join them.

Listened to some of the interview Bob Elliston. Some good questions from the hosts. Don't agree with Elliston's justification that raising takeout to "bring them inline" with other circuits. You can't say "Keeneland is different" (which it is) in one breath, and then act to make it like other tracks in another.

I agreed with his comment that takeout "is one of many variables", and that their goal is to maintain a better product. Time will tell if that holds out in a sport that's contracting, but to support and participate in a boycott solely for a takeout raise is rather simple-minded and a knee-jerk reaction.

They still have the best steak in town....
Extortion?

I have no idea where you're coming from on that.

Elliston was the "dancing with the starts champion" today. He did a great job representing an industry that no longer wants me as a daily Customer. Last year I churned about 300K and this year will be about the same at RETAIL TAKEOUT RATES. As a resident of California I get some rewards through Xpress
Bet but it amounts to about $1200 a year. That's because of the retention cap law that applies to Ca. residents but not to residents of almost all other states. When you get to 17.5% WPS takeout it's the last straw for me and many other Customers in my position. Apparently the Industry doesn't want Customers like me to play every day so I won't. If Ca. raises WPS then I'll be a part time (a few times a month) player. So Elliston did a great job if your'e someone who doesn't know better. For the people who do like me they can have their product and try to sell it to someone else. They're doing a great job of getting rid of life long Customers like me. Carry on!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: