Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-29-2023, 12:41 AM   #136
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
I'm glad you find it "comical". When people get so serious that they practically want to kill you for a difference of opinion, it makes me wonder if I'm talking to handicappers or to insane asylum qualifiers.
Yeah, now they want "to kill you"

WHo's the insane one, exactly?

Thinking you're far from rational on this topic is a far cry from "wanting to kill you"
Old 03-29-2023, 12:42 AM   #137
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Am I surprised by your inappropriate response? Certainly not!
Instead of discerning the response patterns I previously mentioned, you mimic them yourself. Just a suggestion, but why not try dealing with some corrective criticism as a grown-up.

As difficult as it might be, kindly keep your whimpering to yourself because this bird will never fly over the cuckoo’s nest.
Inappropriate?

It's completely accurate.

You left this forum because you no longer liked it here.

Now you're WILLINGLY back and STILL complaining?

Like I said...just like an injured bird, unable to fly away.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:10 AM   #138
CheckMark

Quote:
I'm glad you find it "comical". When people get so serious that they practically want to kill you for a difference of opinion, it makes me wonder if I'm talking to handicappers or to insane asylum qualifiers.
Light when did I/we say we wanted to do that? And calling everyone “insane asylum qualifiers” is pretty sad to label for everyone and I mean everyone here I guess is one lol

I get that everyone has their own opinion just like you and I but the only reason I said it was comical (which in my defence is still relevant) is because it started off as being a smooth talking thread about a book then it derailed to you picking arguments with everyone that didn’t agree with you and 9 pages is getting to far for something so simple in my opinion

Personally I’ve never read this book yet (heard of it though) so I don’t know what I’m missing or if it’s another book to leave on the shelf and collect dust

I’ll just keep my mouth shut just for you if I’m labeled as insane. Maybe that will help your cause

Last edited by CheckMark; 03-29-2023 at 04:13 AM.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2023, 09:49 AM   #139
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Well, that ws fun.
Anyone got another book we can talk about?
Old 03-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #140
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Well, that ws fun.
lol.. we are curious breed..

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2023, 10:45 AM   #141
Half Smoke

Quote:
Well, that ws fun.

just kidding

Old 03-29-2023, 10:49 AM   #142
headhawg
crusty old guy

I was going to say that all the Beyer books are trash but I didn't think it would stimulate much discussion.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:41 AM   #143
ranchwest

Quote:
Well, that ws fun.
War and Peace?
Old 03-29-2023, 12:31 PM   #144
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
I was going to say that all the Beyer books are trash but I didn't think it would stimulate much discussion.
Now that cracked me up.

-jp

Old 03-29-2023, 02:59 PM   #145
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post

and while we're at it -

the books of Tom Ainslie and Steve Davidowitz could use a good trashing too

they're due__________

Last edited by Half Smoke; 03-29-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2023, 03:14 PM   #146
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
His motivation was wanting to write a book where the ideas presented were backed up by data.

Imo, he did that and then some.

A year or so before he decided to write the book Barry invited a small group of players and myself over to his place.

We spent a wonderful afternoon out on his back patio with live video of the day's races (if I recall correctly TVG and RTN) streaming in the background talking about anything and everything under the sun including handicapping, making oddslines, and betting.

What I'm about to say is from the gut, and something I'll only say about a small handful of horseplayers:

Barry is the real deal.

When it comes to handicapping and betting Barry knows his shit.

-jp

Let's look at the original thread posted in 2019 and what Barry had to say..

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...2&postcount=44

Hello PA people, and thanks to Replay Randall for sending me a note about this thread.

The 445-page Skeptical Handicapper not includes dozens of computer studies (the vast majority by Ken Massa of HTR) on many handicapping topics, but also my views on various handicapping methods and topics based on my more than twenty years of playing full-time. I believe that many of the results will prove surprising to many players. Just a few:

Looking at more than 44,000 favorites, those ridden by jockeys with more than 20% wins performed just about identically vs. jockeys with fewer than 10% wins.
Are first-time starters intimidated by starting from the rail? Not according to the results we found.
In every category, no matter how far the class drop vs. a class raise, droppers recorded an ROI more than 5% better than risers.
Old-time handicapping angles such as best last-race speed figure, earnings per start calculations, and form-consistency ratings have been thoroughly analyzed by the crowd and won't get the money in 2019.

I think that experienced players will get much more out of the book than beginners. For instance, I explain how to watch replays correctly (looking for trouble is a waste of time), how to find vulnerable favorites and live longshots, and which questions to consider in different types of races. But it's no fast read or get-rich-quick book.

The book is scheduled to be shipped March 21, and I'll be happy to autograph the book for anyone ordering through my website, trpublishing.com. You can read a copy of the Introduction there, or look at early chapters on the Amazon site if you have a free Kindle Cloud Reader.

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 03-29-2023 at 03:15 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2023, 05:05 PM   #147
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
War and Peace?

Which side are you for?
Old 03-29-2023, 05:25 PM   #148
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yeah, now they want "to kill you"

WHo's the insane one, exactly?

Thinking you're far from rational on this topic is a far cry from "wanting to kill you"
See post 46.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2023, 05:37 PM   #149
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Light when did I/we say we wanted to do that? And calling everyone “insane asylum qualifiers” is pretty sad to label for everyone and I mean everyone here I guess is one lol

I get that everyone has their own opinion just like you and I but the only reason I said it was comical (which in my defence is still relevant) is because it started off as being a smooth talking thread about a book then it derailed to you picking arguments with everyone that didn’t agree with you and 9 pages is getting to far for something so simple in my opinion

Personally I’ve never read this book yet (heard of it though) so I don’t know what I’m missing or if it’s another book to leave on the shelf and collect dust

I’ll just keep my mouth shut just for you if I’m labeled as insane. Maybe that will help your cause
Try to read with more comprehension then you will save me some time explaining things to you.

I didn't say "everyone" I said "some".

I never labeled you insane. It's the ones that go berserk with name calling that are insane. Show me where I called anyone a derogatory name. I can show you the ones who called me plenty of names. Why do you defend that kind of low level of behavior? Aren't you better than that? It's your call.

Defend trash and you will become trash. Put others down and you will stay down. That's why I do not reciprocate their behavior. You'll learn.

I didn't pick arguments with anyone. I disagreed with them and challenged them to honor their own words of what they learned from the book. They picked arguments with me finding it offensive that I asked them what they learned. A dead giveaway that they learned nothing.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2023, 05:38 PM   #150
headhawg
crusty old guy

re: post 46

Quote:
If I handicapped with the mindset he puts forth in the book, I would jump off a bridge. I sometime felt like I was reading the words of someone in an insane asylum.
You are really something.

Last edited by headhawg; 03-29-2023 at 05:40 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply