Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Teach

Welcome To My New Website

Hi Everybody! This is Teach (Walt). I've been out of action for awhile (two operations), but I'm back. I've started up my harness racing website: www.harnessmavin.com. Note: the spelling of mavin is with an "i" (I couldn't get back my old domain name).

Well, I'm going to start slowly. I'm handicapping today's (Saturday, March 20th) Freehold 12-race card. I'm going to go "live" whenever possible. I'm going to try it today. I will provide race by race comments in real time.

If you want to reach me, my e-mail is: walt@harnessmavin.com. I have handicapped the first race, below:

Freehold Raceway: Saturday, March 20

Whatever you do in the wide-open first race, I would suggest giving consideration to the #2 Sir Sisu in the second. If ready, he's a player!

Race 1:

#1: Mo Mo Munny is hard to recommend. Even though this horse has drawn the rail; appears better suited for lesser company. Might catch part of exotics.

#2 Medoland Big Sam has lots of back-class, but hasn’t been out in almost a month. Hard to recommend; yet could surprise and pick of pieces in an exotic.

#3 Finally Finished appears overmatched. Yet outside chance he might have enough speed to grab final spot in exotic.

#4 Big Million could do nothing from #8-hole in slop in last time. Before that, in lesser company, he romped. Go figure. I believe this horse is playable and should be considered.

#5 Meal Ticket is an in-the-money kinda horse (2nd or 3rd in eight of last ten starts). I can't see this horse winning, but I can see him hitting the board

#6 Little Rock Spur was worked hard in his last, much-needed race. I still believe he's overmatched in this company.

#7 Dragonaire fits here. Inside, I’d love this horse; outside, I don’t know. He could go to the top and "be on the engine." Eric Abbatiello is on the improve. This horse cannot be overlooked. The start of the race will determine everything. If he leaves, fasten your seat belts!

#8 Thatll Be Hot has won 4 of his last 6 (not too shabby!). However, the #8 post is an impediment. Still, he must be considered. If Gregory decides to bring up the field, it’ll be tough for this horse to make up the ground. Yet, he’s certainly capable of taking it all. Check tote.

Again, if you get a chance, check out my site. I will be back on-line - after some morning errands - about 12:15 to 12:30 EDT. I will try to provide constant updates and thoughts.

Teach

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
lamboguy

jsut want you to know that joe hartman, former general manager of foxoboro, and he helped start plainridge passed away this week. he was a great guy that worked all over the harness industry. white light to his family from all of us.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
melman

Teach---Welcome back and I like your web site. I would encourge all to take a visit. I see you are just going to handicap one track for a while and that track is Freehold. Teach I would URGE you no I would get down on my knees and BEG you to move to Tioga when they open on May 2nd. Tioga is making the effort at great risk to themselves to LOWER the takeout. They WANT to lower it even more but the nut jobs in NY will not allow them to. Vernon was thinking about doing the same but there horsemen would not go along. Lets show people that a takeout reduction will work. You have a good way with words on your website that I think people will enjoy. Best of trips to all your horses.
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Teach

Joe Hartmann

Iamboguy and others,

I'm sorry to hear of Joe Hartmann's death. Joe was a great guy! He was as knowledgeable about harness racing as anyone I've ever met. Every year, Joe would come back to Plainridge Racecourse in Plainville, MA to be part of that track's Labor Day extavaganza, e.g. Bert Beckwith Memorial, Pasquantonio Memorial, etc.

It was actually Joe who got me the job at Foxboro Raceway. At the time, November, 1983, Joe was leaving for a job at Pocono Downs. He recommended me to management to fill his shoes as publicity director. I was hired. I enjoyed every minute of it.

I don't recall much about Joe having a family. All I can say is my deepest sympathy and condolences to Joe's relatives and anyone who had the pleasure of working with Joe Hartmann. Rest In Peace, Joe.

Teach

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melman
Teach---Welcome back and I like your web site. I would encourge all to take a visit. I see you are just going to handicap one track for a while and that track is Freehold. Teach I would URGE you no I would get down on my knees and BEG you to move to Tioga when they open on May 2nd. Tioga is making the effort at great risk to themselves to LOWER the takeout. They WANT to lower it even more but the nut jobs in NY will not allow them to. Vernon was thinking about doing the same but there horsemen would not go along. Lets show people that a takeout reduction will work. You have a good way with words on your website that I think people will enjoy. Best of trips to all your horses.
great points here mel. i think that if harness can get away from some of the bad stigma it has had in the past, it will become a reviveable game. its more of a blue collar sport than thoroughbred's are, meaning more ownership interest. the only problem i see in that game that the similarities to thoroughbreds are taking place in that sport too, where large outfits rule the game and get most of the wins.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
boomman

Thumbs up Welcome back!

Teach: I know several PA members had wondered aloud what had happened to you, and its great to see you back! I always enjoyed reading your "blasts from the past".

Best of luck with your new website!

Boomer
Old 03-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

ditto

Glad your back and Ok, always enjoyed your posts/stories.

Several years ago when I tracked several 'free selections' web sites and (some pay per pick), yours ranked very high. (As did Bobby-Z's). And good news today, both are back in action.
Bret Harte
Ray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
Sea Biscuit

Hey Teach

We all missed you here and your wonderful harness stories of days gone by.

Welcome back.

SB
Sea Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Teach

Thank You

Thank you so much for your kind words. I appreciate the friendship that has been extended to me on this forum. I hope to be contributing to this site in the days and weeks ahead.

In the category of a shameless plug, if any of the folks on the forum (or someone you know) are also interested in baseball (my twin passions are harness racing and baseball, particulary the Red Sox), I have recently developed a website devoted to baseball triva. I couldn't get the url: baseball trivia so I chose the domain name: www.baseballtrivium.com.

Most of the questions relate to the Red Sox. I'm giving away ten (10) Topps baseball cards (in brand-spanking-new, mint condition) fror correct answers (I'll pay the postage).

Teach

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Teach

Looking Over Saturday afternoon's Freehold card

Hi everyone. Just downloaded Saturday's Freehold 13-race card. I'm going to try to go "live" as I did last week.

I'm posting my look at Freehold's first race. Be sure to check out my new website: www.harnessmavin.com. If you ever want to drop me an e-mail, I can be reached at: walt@harnessmavin.com.

Freehold Raceway, Saturday, March 27:
Race 1:

#1 Morgan Starn. This horse has made more stops – sporadic as they are – than outfielder Kenny Lofton. I question whether this horse is sound. Driver Vincent Ginsburg is an improvement over the trainer, but, other than that, this horse rates the slightest chance of getting a minor award. Might consider in gimmicks.

#2 Dallenbach Hanover I like Dallenbach Hanover. Good post. Well-bred horse. He's faced tough 2- and 3-yr-old competition. If reasonably ready...this horse can take the opener. "The Pandy Man" is no slouch!

#3 Money Paige has hit the board in 4 of last five. Fits nicely with this bunch. Certainly a factor. May give top pick a run. Would strongly consider.

#4 What Came First The Chicken or The Egg (I couldn't resist). Hard to recommend. Yet might, on best effort, be able to pick up the pieces in exotics.

#5 From Within This horse hasn't shown much speed. Hard to picture him as a contendah. Record is spotty. Yet might fill out gimmicks. Cat Manzi in bike always helps.

#6 Fireball B hasn’t shown much. Only one win in nearly 25 starts. Hard for me to see this horse hitting the board. Looks like an "also ran."

#7 Solar Powered is another horse that has shown very little. Post is no help. Hard to see this horse hitting the board.

#8 McCardles Star might contend if he leaves and finds a tuck. Thequestionremains: IF. Can’t rule out of gimmicks If (there's that word again) he leaves. If he plays caboose, he’ll likely never see the board. What he does at the start could make all the difference in the world.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 03-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Teach

Good Morning from frigid Boston. I'm about two-and-a-half hours away from handicapping today's Freehold card.

This week's program looks more formful than last week. In fact, I believe "the inside" will be the place to be in several races.

Well, I've looked things over carefully, so maybe I can be of some help. I like #2 Dallenbach Hanover in the first half of the double. However, don't expect long odds. This horse draws inside; he should be on or near the lead. Any kinda trip and he gets things rolling this afternoon. I'm hoping to again "go live" this week as I did last week. So check out my web site: www.harnessmavin.com.

Good luck,

Teach

"David and Lisa" (1962)