Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
arw629
First Time Gelding

Down the ladder

http://www.nj.com/horse-racing/index...mont_park.html

1 for his last 15 and in for a nickel at Finger Lakes today!
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

This is just sad. I've said it many times, the claiming game needs to go away.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
This is just sad. I've said it many times, the claiming game needs to go away.

Are you thinking harness racing conditions like non winners of blank $$$ in blank races? Or classifications?
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
Are you thinking harness racing conditions like non winners of blank $$$ in blank races? Or classifications?
It would have to be well thought out and worked out over time, not something I could put together in a PA post right now.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against the horse racing if he is still sound. It just seems like some guys don't know where to draw the line and the outcome for this horse most likely won't be good.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It would have to be well thought out and worked out over time, not something I could put together in a PA post right now.

I'd love to read it because it's awfully hard to come up with an alternate system that protects all of the declining horses from another undesirable fate, doesn't encourage harness type manipulation for eligibility purposes, and doesn't otherwise make it seem like the game itself is just too flawed to persevere with in trying to tie up all those loose ends. I'm not saying this as a wiseass sort of rebuttal, it's a sincere position based on what I've read in terms of similar floated ideas. To boil it down, the problem is still the unscrupulous that willingly create the problem you are trying to address aren't being addressed (though we've seen baby steps taken to do just this with voided claims, etc.) and ultimately, that seems to be the problem more than the claiming system.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against the horse racing if he is still sound. It just seems like some guys don't know where to draw the line and the outcome for this horse most likely won't be good.
The one of the reasons I asked is Monday night I noticed a harness condition that was NW 6 races and then had an alternative qualification of $82K lifetime. I glanced at the horses and saw the favorite who was from a powerhouse barn had $80K in career earnings.

So the problem of having to appease the guys with big barns still exists in that sport too.

As I've said about Ron Burke in the past he's certainly a great trainer but having the market force of training hundreds of horses gives you lots of leverage with racing secretaries. They don't write special conditions for guys with five horses.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
macguy

Earned over $50,000/year for 2015 and 2014, looks to me like he's earning his keep.
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy
Earned over $50,000/year for 2015 and 2014, looks to me like he's earning his keep.
And $3,390 in 2016, last time he earned a real check was a year ago ($3000).

I blame all 4 recent trainers.

David Scumbag Jacobson

Danny Gargantuan

Linda Rice

Sydney Dutrow

Not one of them cared enough to find him a home. I actually (ironically) blame Jacobson less as the horse was productive during his handling of the horse and I blame Dutrow less for the same reason.

The next 2, little excuse. Rice dumped the horse at FL for 5,000 hoping he would go away. Repulsive.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

True story - back in the 70's, Finger Lakes put in a rule that if a horse had not finished in the money, 1-2-3, in any of it's last 6 races, it was not eligible to run.

Very quickly, the entries took such a major hit the rule was rescinded.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #10
Big Peps

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
And $3,390 in 2016, last time he earned a real check was a year ago ($3000).

I blame all 4 recent trainers.

David Scumbag Jacobson

Danny Gargantuan

Linda Rice

Sydney Dutrow

Not one of them cared enough to find him a home. I actually (ironically) blame Jacobson less as the horse was productive during his handling of the horse and I blame Dutrow less for the same reason.

The next 2, little excuse. Rice dumped the horse at FL for 5,000 hoping he would go away. Repulsive.
He ran 2nd yesterday, shows a pretty steady work pattern, including a bullet. Understanding he's running cheap and has fallen off, but who is to say that he isn't sound. I don't see the big deal. I wouldn't call it repulsive and people who claim a horse for 5k in November at Finger Lakes do so with the understanding that the horse will most likely get laid up for the winter. Looks like the new owners and trainer are treating the horse fine from the outside looking in? Never really know but there is no crime in running a horse where you think they can win although he may have been a stake horse years ago.
Big Peps is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #11
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Peps
He ran 2nd yesterday, shows a pretty steady work pattern, including a bullet. Understanding he's running cheap and has fallen off, but who is to say that he isn't sound. I don't see the big deal. I wouldn't call it repulsive and people who claim a horse for 5k in November at Finger Lakes do so with the understanding that the horse will most likely get laid up for the winter. Looks like the new owners and trainer are treating the horse fine from the outside looking in? Never really know but there is no crime in running a horse where you think they can win although he may have been a stake horse years ago.
thank you i was going to say this yesterday
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #12
no breathalyzer
Veteran

also i didn't see the race but horse did lose to a good above your average nickel claimer aswell.. actually the winner was a straight up Lock

Last edited by no breathalyzer; 07-07-2016 at 08:12 AM.
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #13
Big Peps

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer
thank you i was going to say this yesterday

Yep, I am running a horse with huge pedigree at finger lakes and PID for a nickel-$7,500 and have been for 2 years, horse is sound as a dollar, loves training and racing. Did I think that is where he would wind up? hell no but gives him the best shot at win and where he belongs, he gets better on the synthetic and turf ( Not good enough). Is what it is, he pays his way and we have a lot of fun with him as he is a very cool horse. So why not? geeze, he didn't live up to expectation but such is the game
Old 07-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #14
pandy

If claiming races were eliminated I'm not sure if I'd continue to bet horses. Maiden claiming and restricted claiming races, like N2L and N3L, or even the time restricted claiming races, are my most profitable races (along with MSW races).

Generally speaking, allowance races are not good betting races because of the fact that the condition is not precise. For instance, NW3 other than maiden, claiming, or starter. The NW3 doesn't mean much because there could be horses in the race that have 12 wins. You have to be extremely selective to find good bets in allowance races and if, as a bettor, I have to pass almost every race, I would lose interest in the game.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #15
Big Peps

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
If claiming races were eliminated I'm not sure if I'd continue to bet horses. Maiden claiming and restricted claiming races, like N2L and N3L, or even the time restricted claiming races, are my most profitable races (along with MSW races).

Generally speaking, allowance races are not good betting races because of the fact that the condition is not precise. For instance, NW3 other than maiden, claiming, or starter. The NW3 doesn't mean much because there could be horses in the race that have 12 wins. You have to be extremely selective to find good bets in allowance races and if, as a bettor, I have to pass almost every race, I would lose interest in the game.
Agree 100%.