Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977
You have to submit the winner's name the day before; nothing to do with a ticket for every horse, just one winner to avoid being killed.
Excuse me. Where did you say that in the original #1 Post on this thread?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
_______
Veteran

I'd send Tom Cruise into the future to watch the race and report back on the winner.

Then I'd send him back and leave him there. That guy bugs me.

And don't tell me I can't send people into the future. Once you postulate extraterrestrials I think it's safe to say that all doors are open.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
bigchump

I think your question should have been:
"What's the best way to avoid going home broke?"
Any monkey can pick a $4 horse.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
This could be a fun and interesting post and I look forward to the replies. Assume your life was threatened (or even an extraterrestrial being promised to destroy planet earth) if we didn’t pick the winner in a particular upcoming race. Doesn’t matter what race or what track etc and assume it was a perfect world with no cheating, race fixing etc. The only stipulation is the winner had to be picked a day before the race.

How would we collectively use our minds to pick the winner;what things would we need to do? Would we elect the best speed guys, breeding guys, pace guys etc to come up with the winner? We may even all handicap our own winner and put them into a box andcount the ‘votes’ to get the collective winner. Or we could hire the best handicappers in the world (remember, we need to save the planet from gettingdestroyed) and just use their input. Personally,I would let the best known handicappers in the world handicap the race and submit their chosen winner. Do you think the speed guys would win out, or the pace guys, etc if certain factors were used to select this winner?? Feel free to provide any input.
Just kill me now.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
thaskalos

Quote:
This could be a fun and interesting post and I look forward to the replies. Assume your life was threatened (or even an extraterrestrial being promised to destroy planet earth) if we didn’t pick the winner in a particular upcoming race. Doesn’t matter what race or what track etc and assume it was a perfect world with no cheating, race fixing etc. The only stipulation is the winner had to be picked a day before the race.

How would we collectively use our minds to pick the winner;what things would we need to do? Would we elect the best speed guys, breeding guys, pace guys etc to come up with the winner? We may even all handicap our own winner and put them into a box andcount the ‘votes’ to get the collective winner. Or we could hire the best handicappers in the world (remember, we need to save the planet from gettingdestroyed) and just use their input. Personally,I would let the best known handicappers in the world handicap the race and submit their chosen winner. Do you think the speed guys would win out, or the pace guys, etc if certain factors were used to select this winner?? Feel free to provide any input.
No matter how you handicap a given race, you are guaranteed to pick a loser at least 67% of the time...assuming that a normal-sized field is involved.

That's why it's not smart for a player to get excited about his chances of beating any one particular race.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
Twenty Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
No matter how you handicap a given race, you are guaranteed to pick a loser at least 67% of the time...assuming that a normal-sized field is involved.

That's why it's not smart for a player to get excited about his chances of beating any one particular race.
Ahhh, but he said any race. Surely among 20 or so tracks (x 9 races per track), one could find at least one 1/5 or 2/5 shot. The best of the lowest odds-on would get my pick.

Then again, I like the invisible guy's Tom Cruise option. The sending him into the future part without possible recall, that is.
Twenty Seven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #22
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry-g
Once you have your race tickets hold them in one hand
and in the other, hold on to your plane tickets.
Now that OP has clarified it - hold your wager on the favorite in one hand and your 9mm in the other.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
myhorse1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Easy. Buy a ticket on every horse in a race and hope the race isn't cancelled.

1. since you did not say you could not bet on more then one horse i think the above is the only answer.

2. if this is not enough i would pick the probable morning line favorite and tell each jockey not on this horse the situation and tell them from the start they are to stay at least 100 yards behind the horse i picked and i would make them an offer they cannot refuse(a la corleone).

3.since this is the fate of the earth and my life i would have the military's most accurate and deadly shooters shoot and STOP any horse that came less then a hundred yards from my picked horse.

4. if my horse decided not to run or my horse fell or could not make to the finish line the military would take out all the other horses in the race.

5.remember the fate of the earth depends on this.

this is what happens when you have to deal with extraterrestrials.
myhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Excuse me. Where did you say that in the original #1 Post on this thread?
".....with no cheating, race fixing etc. The only stipulation is the winner had to be picked a day before the race."

It's in the 1st paragraph.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #25
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

What happens if your selection is scratched? Are we all in for it?

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
myhorse1

betting on every horse in the race is neither cheating or race fixing.
myhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #27
Stillriledup
Veteran

I would do one of THESE 7 things.

1) Wait until Bob Baffert had 2 or more first time starters in a race and i would select the longer price of the 2.

2) Wait until Stillriledup posts at PA that he has a 'special' horse, move to Europe, sign up for Betfair, bet against SRU's special horse the next time it runs, close out Betfair account, move back to USA.

3) Bet Spicer Cub next time he runs because everyone needs to believe in miracles.

4) Bet the next Randi Persaud claim if a) it is claimed from a top trainer B) its 20-1 or higher and c) if its back in 24 hours or less.

5) Bet on the Next Todd Pletcher horse who runs at Churchill......because, he's been SO "on fire" in recent times there.

6) Next time the 8 year old handicapper shows up as a guest analyst on TVG, bet on his best bet.

7) Stand behind the guy who uses the open window to bet single/single/single/single all all in the Santa Anita pick 6s and bet the winner after the race has been run. Because when your life depends on it, head for that open window!

Last edited by Stillriledup; 04-18-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
traynor

Quote:
No race fixing is allowed. Just handicapping.
When survival is in question, rules and niceties don't apply. I'm sure that--given their exposure to such behavior by others at relatively frequent intervals--an astute horseplayer would find a way to cheat. It is all a matter of priority--someone (some thing) is threatening one's life, and possibly the lives of everyone on the planet. That is not the time to be mulling over the various theories of Beyer, Quirin, Quinn, et al, trying to decide what to do. "What to do" is quite clear--eliminate the threat, in one manner or another.

http://cdn.twentytwowords.com/wp-con...dic-Skiing.jpg

Last edited by traynor; 04-18-2013 at 09:37 PM.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #29
Capper Al

I would look for an under even money favorite which is also my pick and BRIS' prime number top pick in a predicable race condition. In real life, I'd pass on this race or bet against the favorite if there was a long shot that I liked.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Throw in the towel.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply